ARRAY(0xa4a8c564)

Eyepennies
by Mike O'Driscoll
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Brilliant, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Eyepennies (Paperback)
I would advise reading this book in one sitting as the story jumps back & forth in time in a non-linear fashion. Which can be a little disconcerting at first. However, the more you get into the story, the more it wont let you go. I found the book very hard to put down, as I had to find out where the character driven story was going.

The story is about Mark, a singer/songwriter who had a near death experience, from which his psyche never really recovered. Mike attributes the inspiration for this story to the real life singer/song writer Mark Linkous. After reading the blurb about the writer, it's easy to see how Mike `got into' Mark's head and how he has managed to create a full and believable, if very troubled, character.

The prose is effortless and compelling, creating images in the minds eye both chilling and insightful. The pace is brilliant, you don't realise that you are being drawn in and carried along until you reach a satisfying, and haunting, end.

I am willing to bet that you will still be thinking about this book days after you have finished the last page. That to me is the sign of a brilliant story and writer.

If this is the shape of future TTA novellas I am much impressed and can whole heartedly recommend them.

Spin
Spin
by Nina Allan
Price: 5.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly crafted fiction, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Spin (Paperback)
The story is about Layla, a gifted young lady with a troubled past. She is a weaver who has a gift, like her mother before her. She leaves her father and the coast to make a life for herself in the big city. There she meets Nasha Crewe who wants her to change the fate of her son, Alcander. She says that she does not have the power to do so, but after meeting Alcander, she weaves...

Set in an alternate Greece, this is a re-imagining of the Arachne myth. Nina Allan draws upon her own experiences of the hot Mediterranean country, and its rich history. Her descriptions of the places, people and culture don't so much as draw you in, but involve you. You are there with Layla experiencing the sights and sounds of Corinth and its suburbs.

I started to read this one evening, with the intentions of reading through the book over the next few days. I sat and read it through in one sitting. I was completely drawn in to the flawless literary prose. This is one of those books that you not so much as can't put down, as you don't realise you haven't put it down until it is finished.

Now I am not normally a fan of alternate histories, nor am I classically read, but neither of these stopped me from enjoying this novella immensely. I can't recommend this book enough.

I would also suggest you read Nina Allan's 'Story behind Spin' for more about this story.

Sean P Chatterton

Between Two Thorns (Split World)
Between Two Thorns (Split World)
by Emma Newman
Price: 7.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Written, 23 Mar 2013
I found this book absolutely delightful to read. It wasn't so much as 'couldn't put it down' as I found myself at 3am still reading and think 'oh bugger, I have to be up at seven' but still wanting to read more.

Cathy is born into the elite of the nether families, but is a rebellious child who actually wants to live a life where she makes the decisions, not have them all made for her. Max is an Arbiter with supernatural powers. To gain these powers he has had his soul removed. But there's more. Something is amiss.
A senior personage has gone missing, someone is kidnapping mundanes and all is not well in Londinium. Have the protectors of the Split Worlds Treaty been corrupted?

Londinium, Aqua Sulis and other cities are mirrored cities of the Mundanus cities in which the action takes place. That would be London, Bath to you and me mundanes.

This is a multiple character book. I get the feeling that some characters introduced in this book will have a greater part in the following two? Time will tell. Having met Emma a couple of times, it is easy to see how she has put a good amount of herself into this book, and in many ways I quite like that. Tea anyone?

Emma's world building is well thought out. I love her easy to read, effortlessly flowing prose which captivates the reader in its delightful manner.
This book is the first of the trilogy, and I can't wait to see how she develops the urban fantasy worlds that she has crafted so well in the first book.

Get it, read it, you will not be disappointed.

by Terry Martin
Price: 4.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Variety, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Probably Maybe Perhaps (Paperback)
This collection of tales offers the readers something different with every short story.

I liked the variety of the tales within. Some are very contemporary, and others have comfortable feel of 'traditional SF'. My favourite was probably 'Harp' which is a contemporary story about the integration of aliens within human society.

Being a collection of short stories it is nice to be able to "get a quick fix" and not be in the middle of something much longer. Because of this, this book makes a great tea/coffee break book, ideally suited to the digital format.

All the stories have Terry's unique approach to the genre, which I found personally very easy to get on with.

Get it, read it, you wont be disappointed.

Price: 2.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Variety, 29 Jan 2013

Get it, read it, you wont be disappointed.