Profile for Phoebe Caulfield > Reviews

Content by Phoebe Caulfield

Phoebe Caulfield "Caught in the Rye" (Leeds, UK)

London 2012 Olympic Games  [DVD]
London 2012 Olympic Games [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Boyle
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Olympian feat, 1 Nov. 2012
This is a good buy and you get a good range of discs for your money. The sporting highlights are well selected with a nice balance of interviews and big names and newbies.

They managed to edit all the games footage into a pretty decent product here, and I really enjoyed reliving the summer.

My only criticism is that they showed Oscar Pistorius's historic first round 400m, but failed to show the semi final where Kirani James swapped bib numbers with him. For me, this was an emotional and meaningful moment that attracted a lot of attention and respect. Shame they didn't include it. However I know I can see that on Youtube still!

The footage of the Opening Ceremony came out better than when I watched it live. You could see more of the pixels with better aerial shots and continuity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 11:43 AM BST

London 2012 Paralympic Games [DVD]
London 2012 Paralympic Games [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clare Balding

3.0 out of 5 stars Paralympics revisited, 1 Nov. 2012
I loved the Paralympics and this is a great souvenir. For the price you get a pretty good deal and a nice disc of sporting highlights.

If I had one criticism, it would be that I'd have loved to have had more sport and less ceremony. 2 discs were devoted to the ceremonies. I did enjoy watching some parts of the Opening ceremony again, but really I would have liked more coverage of the sports.

The big races were mostly covered - Oscar's races for example and his interviews and some of the interviews with other higher profile winners.

A lot of things didn't make the cut though. I would happily have watched another disc or two of highlights and interviews. There were some amazing athletes there, with equally amazing stories.

I could probably have coped without the closing ceremony really, as it wasn't really my cup of tea.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 1:52 PM GMT

Shade's Children
Shade's Children
by Garth Nix

5.0 out of 5 stars Shades of brilliance, 24 July 2006
This review is from: Shade's Children (Hardcover)
An excellent addition to the Garth Nix library. Shade's Children is dark and sinister, and the harsh and inhumane treatment of the children is shocking. But the relationships between the main child protagonists are touching and show there is hope for humanity.