Profile for MissB > Reviews

Content by MissB

MissB (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Google Nexus 7-inch 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet (Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor 1.3GHz, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB Onboard Storage, 1.2MP Front Camera, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean)
Offered by Digital.Camz
Price: 159.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tablet, 11 Jan 2014
I could not except the particular tablet that I received from a different seller than the one associated with this product. However, I have used Google Nexus tablets previously and believe them to be of exceptional quality.

TomTom Start 20 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom Start 20 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
Offered by GSM-Fonz
Price: 121.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth 1 let alone 119., 17 April 2012
Bought two, both developed faults within a couple of weeks, both were returned.
Was irritating to use, the screen kept changing direction as you attempted to type in the address.
No option to exclude motorways.
Nothing like my first Tom Tom. Now I'm using a Garmin, which isn't perfect but at least it works.

TOUCH Beauty Trimmer - Electric Lady Shaver
TOUCH Beauty Trimmer - Electric Lady Shaver

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even worth 1 star..., 17 April 2012
An Awful product. Shaver is hard and feels like it will cut your skin and when you turn it on the base comes off. Rubbish and I've returned it.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes
Price: 6.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, boring middle and bad end..., 11 Oct 2011
I found the beginning engaging and a real page turner but it soon became repetitive, boring and predictable. Worst was that it was so terribly unrealistic in places i.e. the heroine is almost cut up into pieces by a man who is witnessed fleeing the scene but because he's a copper he only gets a few years in prison. I found that aspect just plain silly. By the end everything had gone off onto such a tangent that I just didn't see the point.

The Tarot Bible: Godsfield Bibles
The Tarot Bible: Godsfield Bibles
by Sarah Bartlett-Fanchi
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 20 Oct 2009
This book is excellent in terms of the share ammount of information it provides. It addresses most of the areas that other tarot books neglect and everything is given in nice bite sized portions so that learning how to read the tarot is never overwhelming but always enjoyable. Out of all the tarot books I've purchased, this is the best (with Tarot for Writers coming close second).

My only small criticism is that the card discriptions discuss the possible meanings of each card but don't spend any time connecting the meanings to the detail of the picture. To address this matter I have the Rider Waite book which concentrates almost eclusively on picture detail (but isn't good for much else).

Oldboy [DVD] [2003]
Oldboy [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Choi Min-Sik
Offered by FilmloverUK
Price: 10.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as 'Sympathy for Mr Vengence'., 25 Jun 2006
This review is from: Oldboy [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film was ok but no where near as good as 'Sympathy for Mr Vengence,'. It was artistically and visually sound but there was no emotive sense about the film for me. The plot is unique but the characters were more cartoonish than realistic. I enjoyed the film but wouldn't watch it again whereas I have already watched 'Sympathy for Mr Vengence' twice and will again. 'Sympathy for Mr Vegence' is more a film film to me whilst 'Old Boy' is more of a cinematic experiment.

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Kang-ho Song
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 25 Jun 2006
This film was a very good watch. It draws you in and then keeps you completely hooked. What I found so brilliant about the film was that at first I was not sure what to expect and I suspected that it was going to be a lot more light hearted than it turned out to be. It could have been depressing but the skilled way in which the subject matter is dealt with is absolutely fantastic and means that far from being depressing the film is hynotic and thought provoking.
<br />
<br />The film raises a question, amongst many, of 'when, if ever, is seeking vengence justified'.
<br />
<br />I loved this film.

Bully [DVD] [2002]
Bully [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Brad Renfro
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 4.22

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok!, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: Bully [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This film was ok. I watched it at the cinema and stayed gripped throughout. The storyline was shocking but realistic as regards modern day youth-on-youth crimes. The film captured how, even though society may want to categorise kids who murder as adults, they are, nevertheless, kids. The film depicts teenage murderers who are brutal and callous but who ultimately don't 'get it'. However, this film had many faults. For one, it is based on a true story but it is told from the point of view of the murderers and you cannot be sure if the depiction of the 'bully' is accurate or whether he was a victim who is being demonized by Hollywood. The film was also sexually gratuitous in parts and I felt that the camera often unnecessarily loomed over the female anatomy. This is not surprising as it is in keeping with the way in which the same director shot the movie Kidz. The sex and nudity does not further the plot but is just there, which I believe detracts from the films credibility.
All in all I'd say watch the film. It isn't the best film out there but it certainly isn't the worst. I think one of its prime attributes is that if you look past its faults the film does give you food for thought.

Basic Candle Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started (Stackpole Basics)
by Eric Ebelin
Price: 13.34

1.0 out of 5 stars No content..., 28 Feb 2006
This book was all pictures and no substance. If you know even the least about candle making then you know more than is contained in this book.
Candle making is relatively easy and what you can find on the internet is more than enough. Either that or find a better book than this one because this book really has nothing to offer. If you want a picture book then get it otherwise look else where.
A total waste of money.

Ugly
Ugly
by Constance Briscoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Content but no eloquence and no emotion..., 28 Feb 2006
This review is from: Ugly (Hardcover)
This book was rubbish. I do not wish to undermine the suffering that Constance Briscoe undoubtedly suffered but in my opinion this book is a best seller because people 'feel' that it should be and it is not being reviewed as a literary piece of art. I have read many autobiographies and my favourite is 'Angela's Ashes,' because not only does it tell a story but it tells a story well. This book is in the 'A Boy Called It' category but it is nowhere near as enjoyable. The writing is clinical and lacks emotion. It is more like a diagnostic or description than a story. Rather than people being described or emotions being delved into you get sentences like: she was short and had a big bum and Christmas was okay. The word okay is repeated so many times that if I did not know I might think that this book was written by any semi-educated black woman because it has no artistry or eloquence.
I ended up finishing the book and thinking that whilst I appreciated that Briscoe had experienced an awful childhood, so what? I am a Black British woman and my childhood wasn’t great and I know many Black British people who experienced similar childhoods to Briscoe but the relaying of an experience is not enough to make a story enjoyable. I felt that Briscoe had not achieved closure and so the book was biased to a fault. Of course it's her account and told from her point of view but Briscoe shows no adult ability to reflect on the situation as a whole, for instance her mum is the 'baddie' full stop. You are not told anything about the impact that wider society may have had on her mother’s behaviour as you get the sense that Briscoe is still in that place of hurt and anger. This is similar to what I found when I read 'A Boy Called It', both books lack the eloquence of 'Angela's Ashes,' and I got the sense from both that the authors were still, in some ways, the abused child that they had previously been. Maybe Briscoe should have had a bit of counselling before she wrote the book or maybe she is just a poor writer, I am not sure which but this book certainly was not a good read and I will not be reading in other of Briscoe’s book. In my opinion she should not give up her day job.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2010 10:35 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2