Profile for Dr, R. Cipriani > Reviews

Content by Dr, R. Cipriani

Dr, R. Cipriani "tcipriani" (Cork, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Pioneer X-HM71-K Micro System -Black
Pioneer X-HM71-K Micro System -Black
Offered by Best AV Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stereo, 19 April 2014
I wanted to get a network player that also could play CDs. The market for that at least here in the UK seems very limited. Then I came across this little gem. It has AM/FM radio; CD playback; Internet radio; Network playback and USB playback. In addition to that it also has an iPod/iPhone connector on the top (the original) and auxiliary input. So this is a very well connected system.

It arrived reasonably quickly from a supplier on amazon marketplace. The actual price at 249 pounds was better than the Roberts cd/network player and this is a more impressive unit by far. The Roberts unit is a rebranded Sagem one.
This comes with it's own speakers and at this price point I really couldn't complain. I have heard better book shelf speakers but buying those easily double the price of this unit. In any case they are a nice compromise delivering punchy bass and clear enough highs.

Setup is very easy, just plug it in select the wifi and put in the right password. after this using the internet function you can easily select the region then country and station. Stations can be saved to favorites so selecting them in the future is pretty easy. When the unit is turned on the favorites are the first thing to pop up.

In fact the only complaint I have with this unit is that it takes about a minute to turn on after pressing the power button. If this was fixed I would give this without a doubt 5 stars. At the moment I'd give it 4 1/2. Then again it's a minor inconvenience for something that is so good. Did I mention wifi was built in.

Lenovo Thinkpad X121E 304579G Intel ® 1400 MHz 320 GB 4096 MB HD Graphics 3000
Lenovo Thinkpad X121E 304579G Intel ® 1400 MHz 320 GB 4096 MB HD Graphics 3000

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, 11 Dec 2013
Wow! I have never given a product I have bought such a poor review but I feel very compelled to inform any potential buyers to beware! I bought my red Lenovo Thinkpad x121e directly from Lenovo on 2nd March 2013. It was bought for a new job but ended up being a extra computer that was lightly used. Initially I thought it was great - a little underpowered due to the AMD processor and bloatware on it - but a fantastic buy. The speed improved by disabling some of the preloaded lenovo software.

So why in the world am I giving this only a 1 star review... Well despite being treated with gloves on I noticed the left hinge rocking noticably and actually separating whilst opening on the 11th of December 2013. Being less than a year after purchasing this computer I expected this to be covered under warranty. However when I called up Lenovo I was told this was not covered under warranty as it is a mechanical part and would only have been covered if I had taken out the accidental warranty.

So after throwing up my hands in frustration I decided to open the computer up and see what was the cause and if I could attempt a fix. What I discovered was the hinges are very stong metal hinges but are screwed into the plastic holes (these are then surrounded by a very thin and flimsy metal). After opening the computer all of the plastic surrounding the screws holding the screen to the base had disintegrated and came away in little pieces. As a result there is no easy way to repair the computer without either sending it in and trying to replace the base or being creative (cue the latter)! I am currently using an epoxy to fix this. My point however is this should never have happened especially in such a well cared for computer. I used to have thinkpads in the past but if this is representative of what they have become they have just lost a customer. If this had not happed I probably would have rated it 3-4 stars (due to speed and choppy video playback), now however I would give it no stars if possible based on the design.

Nokia 808 PureView Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nokia 808 PureView Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why????, 24 Jun 2013
Firstly to those of you reading this review you are probably wondering whether it is still worth getting this phone. To those of you who are into photography without a doubt just do yourself a favour and buy it already. Those of you not into potography do you download or use a lot of apps? If you do then walk away. Finally to those of you still loyal to Nokia but are wondering about the Belle OS (which this phone runs) vs. the Windows OS which has replaced it, go for the latter if you want to have updated and new apps. Unfortunately Nokia has discontinued development and shelved Belle OS (Symbian).

So why would you even consider this phone? Well for one it has that old Nokia build quality. It comes with a user replaceable1400 mAh battery which fits over the sim and micro sd slots. The polycarbonate cover then slips over the back. There is a fairly large bulge for the camera but you'll soon forget that once you take a picture. To simply put this in perspective... kiss your old point and shoot goodbye. The screen is so clear and easy to view even on in bright sun (I haven't seen anything this good in bright sun). The screen is unfortunately low res (640x360) but gives a 16:9 ratio. Fortunately everything is formatted for it and you'll not notice unless you have another smart phone next to it.
Operating system wise Belle has improved to the point it feels like Android but much less chaotic which then forces me to ask the question why oh why nokia did you allow Elop to throw gasoline on the fire and burn the platform from under you? This OS when I showed it to a friend who has an HTC One remarked "I don't remember Symbian being like this. This looks like Android".

If you are light apps and don't use some of the more popular:netflix, instagram, kindle then there are alternatives for the remaining popular apps or actual versions of them that do run on belle. Unfortunately as Belle has been shelved, development will be very limited.

So what's it like to use as a phone? Well very good. Nokia always was good in this department and haven't let up. Smart dailing and going throught the address book is a breeze. Driving through problem areas I'd lose reception more easily than my old e71. Saying that the reception and call quality are still pretty good but as with all the newer phones somethings did move backward. Battery life being one of them maily due to the screen sucking power. You'd easily get 2 days with the 808 pureview. This drops to one if you are surfing instensively or using the flash to take pictures (it has a xenon flash).

Finally for a flagship it arrived with few accessories (charger, lanyard and headset). So despite having a capacity for a micro sd card, you'll have to buy your own.

So despite all of those negatives the description of the positives I can give doesn't do this phone justice. It's one of those things that everything works synergistically producing a product that is far greater than the sum of it's parts. Despite some throwbacks it sports cutting edge e.g. the 41megapixel camera and Near Field communication. It's earned a place in my pocket and a full 5 stars in my opinion.

Accessories Online - Nokia C5-03 - 5 Pack - Anti Scratch Screen Protector/LCD Screen Guard with Free 5x Microfiber Cleaning Cloth

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll need the 5!, 24 Jun 2013
Instead of reading through a long review, if you are considering this, my honest advice is to look elsewhere. As you can see I gave it three stars. What is wrong with it you ask? Well the main bug-a-boo is the plastic itself scratches very easily. As a result you'll be changing it very often. I'm not just talking about whatever else is in your pocket scratching the film simply using it, your nails will scratch it (and I'm a guy with really short nails).

On the plus side it's a low price. comes in good packaging and applies easily without air bubbles. In fact it's much easier to pull off this protective film than the "vitkuiti adqc27" that I got for my camera because of plastic tabs to hold whilst pulling it off. I had a horrendous time with the 3M product. But once applied and after a few uses you'd be reaching for the next one simply because of how scratched it looks. It does protect your screen though and that's why I've given it an okay rating. I don't love it but it "scrapes through".

NEW!!! Sanyo Eneloop AA 16 Pack Batteries (HR-16UTGA) - The new, improved eneloop - rechargeable up to 1500 times!!!
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin!, 24 Jun 2013
I ordered this 16 pack of AA Sanyo Eneloop batteries and so far love them. The price was reasonable. I haven't drained the batteries yet so I can't talk about longevity but it seems to give me a consistent performance and the advertised reliability thus far. Will definitely buy more when needed.

Nokia Silicone Cover for Nokia C5-03 - Black
Nokia Silicone Cover for Nokia C5-03 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturer made accessory, 20 April 2013
Perfect fit. Doesn't add too much bulk and is fairly discreet. All the buttons and ports are accessible and not blocked. Would advise purchasing if you want to protect your C5-03 (though the phone itself is fairly robust).

Logitech Harmony 300i
Logitech Harmony 300i

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome remote, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Logitech Harmony 300i (Accessory)
Bottom line, if you only have 4 devices for your media center then get this remote. However if you have more than 4 I would advise you to get one of Logitech's more advanced remotes.
I use my remote all the time. The initial setup requires connecting the remote to the computer and registering it online. Following this you setup your remote by selecting your TV, set top box, DVD player and one other device using your computer. After that you won't need your computer again unless you change your device.
The remote is very easy to use especially the "watch tv" button which turns on the tv and set top box. Another press turns it off. The remote itself is robustly built and is ergonomic. It has all the relevant controls.
The only disadvantage is the lack of back lighting which makes using it in the dark difficult. Still I give this 5 stars.

Epson Stylus Office BX305FW Plus A4 All-in-One Inkjet Printer (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax) - Colour (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all in one., 19 April 2013
I bought this to initially replace an all in one (epson sx610fw) that was left by family. It proved to be economical and produced good quality prints. Whilst it was significantly cheaper than the sx610fw it is light on networking options (it has wifi but lacks ethernet). In addition the colour lcd is replaced by a single strip monochrome lcd. Finally there is no print directly from USB option.
Whilst this sounds as though it is deficient, it was also half the price.
If you are looking for an affordable, reliable all in one (with fax, which I have found increasingly difficult to find) you cannot go wrong with this given the price (I paid 66.90 euros) on Amazon.

Emergency Ultrasound, Second Edition
Emergency Ultrasound, Second Edition
by O. John Ma

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reference book., 19 April 2013
This book is very easy to follow. It contains good illustrations and is very well organised. It was recommended reading on my ultrasound course (I'm an ER doctor). Reading this made the course a calkwalk. Will definitely keep it as my reference text.
P.S. I read 2 other texts and this was the best.

Master Lock Steel Chain Square Links Lock With Integral Mini U Bar, 900Mm
Master Lock Steel Chain Square Links Lock With Integral Mini U Bar, 900Mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty chain and lock. Light price., 19 April 2013
Fortunately I haven't had any attempts on either the chain or the lock so I cannot say how effective it is at resisting attacks. However it seems very robust and is long enough to loop around the wheel, the frame and most bike stands. The nylon covering is protective enough that the paint on my bike hasn't been scratched. As for the lock, I haven't had any issues.

At this point in time I can't help but recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2