ARRAY(0xa3c21eac)

Profile for Robert Groom > Reviews

Content by Robert Groom
Top Reviewer Ranking: 77

Robert Groom (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
Price: 35.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple To Use - But How Robust?, 13 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have several lead acid batteries knocking around the place, including a spare car battery and several spare UPS batteries. I also have a car which is seldom used that I put on trickle charge. I also have a couple of very old gel cell alarm batteries.

This charger was able to charge all of them in short order with no issues with the exception of the very old alarm batteries. I think these are ready for the battery graveyard however. The indication lights are very helpful, and being able to charge 6v and 12v batteries (both large and small) in a single unit is very useful.

The clips are great for anything from small spade terminals right up to car batteries.

The mains lead in the picture is shown as a two-pin US variety - the one supplied is a standard UK 3 pin unit.

It feels robust and well made. I think it will stand up to being thrown around in the garage with no trouble.

=====================================

Update - it may feel robust, but after a handful of uses it's dead as a door nail. Worked absolutely fine the last time I plugged it in but now - totally lifeless. Checked the fuse and it's fine. Something inside the unit must have gone poof. It's never been dropped or connected to the battery the wrong way around. There's not a mark on it.

So I have to raise doubts about how robust and long lived this charger might be, and I'm going to scrub a point on that basis.

Shame, but there you go.

Tacwise. Cable Tacker. CT60. Data Cable.  Satellite Cable
Tacwise. Cable Tacker. CT60. Data Cable. Satellite Cable
Price: 22.48

3.0 out of 5 stars It's usable, but no instruction manual, and not suitable for thicker STP cable., 26 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a perfectly usable tacker, but a little bit plasticky in construction. It comes with very minimal instructions, and no mention made of the function of the drive control lever. I had to research that on their website.

I had success using this to secure standard UTP Cat6 to a plaster ceiling. Much easier than messing around with trunking or screwing in cable clips. However, when trying to staple slightly thicker STP (shielded cable) the staples would occasionally catch in the outer cable casing and curl around into the body of the cable, shorting the pairs and even severing individual cores. It was only apparent that this had happened when I performed a continuity test at the end of the run. One very expensive 30 STP cable down the drain. Definitely not recommended for STP therefore.

Even when being used for standard UTP cable it occasionally fails to advance the magazine and you get no staple ejected. On these occasions the staple driver impacts the cable sheath and leaves a mark. Hopefully this is only superficial and not damaging the cores within.

So in summary - not fullproof, but when used carefully with the right cable, it can save you quite a bit of time.

Childrens Gardening Gloves - Embroidered Cotton Gardening Gloves (Red Eye Size 4-6 Years)
Offered by L.M Electrical Spares LTD
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Made, 5 Mar 2014
Nicely made, well fitting gloves for my (nearly) 4 year old son to use when digging in the garden. He loves wearing them. They look great, and help protect his hands from the off prickly weed and keep him a little bit cleaner than he might be otherwise.

JSP Junior Kids Indirect Vent Safety Goggle for Children
JSP Junior Kids Indirect Vent Safety Goggle for Children
Offered by Safety-Site
Price: 5.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my Kids, 5 Mar 2014
I have my 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter wear these when they're using metal scissors, banging nails into wood or anything else where they could easily lose an eye if they start messing around or fighting. They love wearing them, and they can easily be adjusted to kid's heads, and they're made to a size which more readily will fit snugly to a child's face. My kids seem to find them co
comfortable to wear, and they are proper polycarbonate safety lenses with EN166 markings, not pretend ones. The goggles sent have black straps, not a yellow one as shown in the photo, if that's important to you.

Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 Type Staples 8mm (2000)
Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 Type Staples 8mm (2000)
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for the Price, 5 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nicely formed staples which load up easily. The sticks of (about 82) staples don't snap too easily into sections before they're loaded into the gun, even if you accidentally drop them. Pointed ends bite into the wood cleanly, and hold firm. Ideal for mounting art canvas onto softwood frames.

Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially a Great Stapler, 5 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Tacwise Z1-140 is a fairly lightweight unit, with a strong plastic handle and an aluminium alloy head section. It has a simple to operate loading staple magazine, and a very handy viewport at the top, so you can see when the staples are about to run out. It has a locking mechanism too, which is great if you have small children about, or if you need to pack it in a small space. There's also a hook on the bottom which you can use to hang it up.

Stapling action is smooth and powerful. It can sink 140 x 8mm staples in softwood very well every time with no worries.

So why the 3 star score? The problem I have with this stapler is the handle. Its convex shape and smooth finish and lack of a guard at the top cause my hand to slide up the handle when I compress it to fire a staple. For me at least, it makes it very uncomfortable to use, as I constantly need to re-adjust my grip before I fire a staple, and there's the constant fear of getting the skin between thumb and finger caught in the handle hinge as it closes.

It could easily be cured by re-shaping the handle, adding a rubber grip strip or adding a thumb guard at the top.

It may just be because the skin on my hands tends to be dry and calloused, so I have less manual grip than most people, but I've used several staple guns, and this is the only one I've had trouble with.

Savoy Disposable Icing Piping Bag pack of 20
Savoy Disposable Icing Piping Bag pack of 20
Offered by Classikool Baking, Beauty & Beyond
Price: 2.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 26 Feb 2014
Really nice bags which are easy to tear, easy to fill, and have a nice grippy surface on the outside, so they don't slip out of your hands when you're piping. You can cut very small holes in the end if you want to do fine lines without the need for a metal insert.

Really super product. Saves lots of time rather then having to wash out reusable bags.

GM550 Non-Contact IR-Infrared Digital Thermometer - Measurement Range: Between -50 C and 550 C (Between -58 F and 1022 F)
Offered by 3C4U
Price: 13.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Liking This, 26 Feb 2014
Despite being relatively inexpensive, this thermometer is actually pretty accurate. I measured steam coming from a boiling kettle peaking at 99.0 degrees C. That's only a 1% level of error. Certainly accurate enough for anything I'll be using it for.

You can enable or disable the laser pointer as necessary, as you can the backlight on the display.

Pulling the trigger enables the 'measure' mode and provides a constantly updating temperature reading. Releasing the trigger 'holds' the reading for around 6 seconds so you can read it off. It then automatically powers off, preserving the battery life.

A great little gadget I wouldn't like to be without, especially at this price.

Bosch PLL 1-P Laser Pen
Bosch PLL 1-P Laser Pen
Price: 37.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Limited, 26 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This level is a nice enough device for what it is. Having the choice of spot or line laser is a nice touch, and I can definitely see it coming in handy with the addition of a tripod (even a standard camera style tripod will do) for throwing levels along a wall. However, without a tripod, you're limited to sitting it flat on a table or screwing it to a wall. The former doesn't give you the ability to level it left to right to get the line level. The latter requires that you drill a hole in the wall and insert a screw or use an existing hole.

When I compare it to my truly indispensable Bosch PCL 10 at not even twice the price, which has a laser 'x' marker and auto-levelling, I have to say the latter is useful in more circumstances than the former, and far easier to use.

Having both is nice, and I can see myself using the PLL 1-P as something I can just carry around in my pocket for ad-hoc use or even just as a pointer, or when I need to run a line at an angle (the PCL10 can only scribe on the square) but the PCL 10 definitely wins the day for general levelling tasks.

Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)
Price: 109.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Product, 26 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This monitor is so easy to use. Half of the 'cuff' is fairly rigid, so you can 'hook' it around your arm and secure the velcro using one hand without it slipping off.

I downloaded and installed the Withings app on my Android tablet, and within a couple of minutes I was able to take recordings of blood pressure (high and low) and heart rate. You need to register online to have these stored on the Withings database, but it's all pretty anonymous.

When you have a few tests, you can see a nice chart showing your metrics over time. I have a wireless Withings weight scale, so I can see weight and heart metrics displayed together.

I don't know how absolutely accurate the device is, but it's certainly repeatable.

My wife is a GP, and she was impressed with it, so that can only be a good thing.

Several dozen readings taken so far, and the original AAA batteries are still going fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20