Profile for Amy > Reviews

Content by Amy

Amy "Lifetime Bookworm" (West Sussex, England)

Numbers
Numbers
by Rachel Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good book let down by one thing..., 3 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Numbers (Paperback)
I have always loved reading a wide range of books so I'm always ready to try something new. And I was surprised to find this teenage book so addictive, I usually find that although I am a teenager myself (I'm 16)teenage books never quite have the depth of adult ones, but 'Numbers' is a clear exception.

When I first read the description for this book I was immediately reminded of a music video by Nickleback which features the same idea: that there is someone who can see the numbers of a person's life. When I saw the music video I really liked the idea, so I thought I would see how it had been converted into a story.
At first I was a little critical. How could a writer give such an unusual talent credibility in today's society? But the character of Jen is perfect for this. She is not the stereotypical 'Mary-sue' character who usually gets the ability, instead she is a slightly dysfunctional girl who has had to take the hard road in her life. But despite her spiky, and sometimes brutal, attitude I found, as a reader, that I could really sympathise with her. Something I found myself scoffing at, as a character like Jen would surely despise such sympathy!
As the book continues so does the relationship between Jen and Spider. Again, they are an unusual choice of lovers, but it is this uniqueness that becomes so addictive when reading. And the fact that both of them are relative outcasts give their relationship a poignancy as they begin to depend upon each other.

The one thing I think let the book down was the placing of the London Attack. It happened around halfway through and then I expected something similar to happen later on as Jen and Spider spent time together. Instead, I found myself waiting and anticipating a similar occurrence to put more cats amongst the pigeons, but was a little disappointed to not find this. Although, admittedly, I realised after a while that the book focused mainly on the escape and chase rather that the actually event. But nevertheless I still think that the idea of an attack was a imaginative one and should have been developed further, especially considering Jen's ability.

But despite this one point I was truly hooked by the novel. And if a reader has any doubt during the book they should persevere, because the ending is heart-wrenching and the last page is guaranteed to give you chills...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2015 10:39 PM GMT