Profile for dthomas > Reviews

Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Not engaging at all, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Brave New World (Paperback)
It certainly has a lot of interesting ideas (before its time etc) but the the author failed to make it engaging as a work of fiction. The pacing of the book is terrible, for instance we don't meet one of the major characters until halfway through and I kept wanting to know more about all of the characters in general. I didn't ever feel what it's like to be in that world and the plot events don't merge together nicely. The plot seems clumsy and disjointed at best. I kept finding myself not believing that certain characters would say or do some of the things that they did, maybe he just didn't develop it all enough. Finally, I thought the whole Ford thing was a bit ridiculous too (Henry Ford is considered God in this world). I understand why Ford is used but phrases like 'my Ford!', 'please welcome his Fordship' etc are all laughable and make it less believable as a world.

Interesting ideas but personally I wouldn't recommend it. 1984 while it has its own problems is a better read.

The Art of 3D Computer Animation and Effects
The Art of 3D Computer Animation and Effects
by Isaac V. Kerlow
Price: 36.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative guide to the industry, 30 Dec 2011
This book is a very good guide to the industry and whilst you won't learn animation in depth from a book like this, it's well worth having a read. It will give you an insight into the different roles that make up an animation team and at least for me made me realise what I wanted to specialise in.

Animation Now! (Taschen 25th Anniversary)
Animation Now! (Taschen 25th Anniversary)
by Julius Wiedemann

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little book full of inspiration, 30 Dec 2011
I can't recommend this enough to you if you're an animator. I picked it up randomly but was surprised to see the likes of Ishu Patel and Caroline Leaf in there, as well as the bigger studios like Pixar, Aardman and Studio Ghibli. Really worthwhile addition to your bookshelf!

Alive Character Design: For Games, Animation and Film: For Games, Animation & Film
by Haitao Su
Price: 22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 30 Dec 2011
The work in this book is stunning, but it's a really good guide too. I haven't completely finished it yet but it's already given me a lot to think about and taught me a lot about the theory behind character design.

National Geographic Simply Beautiful Photographs
National Geographic Simply Beautiful Photographs
by Annie Griffiths
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is huge!, 30 Dec 2011
The book's title says it all! It's huge and every photograph is stunning. I got it mainly as a reference book for arty stuff and it suits the purpose well. I'd really recommend it to photographers looking for inspiration too.

Salvador Dali - The Paintings (2 Vol)
Salvador Dali - The Paintings (2 Vol)
by Robert Descharnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb image quality and interesting insights, 30 Dec 2011
The image quality is very good in these books, so they are worth having just for that. The text is very informative as well however and gives an interesting insight into the man himself.

Essential German Grammar: Teach Yourself
Essential German Grammar: Teach Yourself
by Jenny Russ

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well structured and extremely compact, useful little book, 2 Nov 2011
I throw this book in my bag everywhere I go just in case I have a moment to flick through. It's a really good guide and will help my language skills in German no end

A Geography Of Time: On Tempo, Culture, and the Pace of Life
A Geography Of Time: On Tempo, Culture, and the Pace of Life
by Levine
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good introduction to these concepts, 2 Nov 2011
This book is a really good introduction to our perception of time. It would have been good however to have had a little more info on Philosopher's who have talked about it. Overall I learned a lot though

Animals in Motion (Dover Anatomy for Artists)
Animals in Motion (Dover Anatomy for Artists)
by Eadweard Muybridge
Price: 30.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Human's in Motion', 2 Nov 2011
The images in this book are not very well exposed.. quite dark or overexposed. It's not as much of a useful reference as the human version

THE WORLD IN FOCUS
THE WORLD IN FOCUS
by ALAN WHICKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant photo reference!, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: THE WORLD IN FOCUS (Hardcover)
This book is huge and has a large selection of good quality photographs from around the World. I'd highly recommend it if your looking for a general 'around the world' photo reference book

Page: 1 | 2