Profile for T. SMEDLEY > Reviews

Content by T. SMEDLEY

T. SMEDLEY "terrysmedley" (Taunton UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11
Sweet harmony/One love family
Sweet harmony/One love family

5.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days...., 27 Feb. 2004
This single sums up a certain period of my life perfectly, what a classic track and well remixed for '95, though in hindsight the remix itself it is definitely of that era, perhaps not ageing as well as hoped.
This single also shows how the (musical content) quality of CD singles has since dropped in recent years; on this CD you get the original version, (track 4), the new remix (track 1), plus a superb Way Out West remix (track 3), which is my favourite on the CD and which I still listen to regularly and put on most compilations I do, even now. It is one of these tracks to send shivers down the spine, which Way Out West seem to do so well. (Where is that album collecting their remixes....?)
The second track, One Love Family, I wasn't too impressed with initially, however when I bought the subsequent album, Culture, I discovered the full length version to be vastly superior, which is a good enough recommendation for the album aswell and well woth getting hold of.

Maximum Ep
Maximum Ep
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Record, 2 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Maximum Ep (Audio CD)
I personally think Dreadzone are one of the best groups from the mid-90's and this could well be one of their finest moments. As a student around the time, coming into contact with Dreadzone's music wasn't too difficult, but on further investigation they display far more diversity than is initialy apparent.
This single may only consist of three songs, but the variety puts many of their contemporaries to shame. Things kick off with 'Fight the Power', and anti-CJB song, though that's not really the point as it's a stonker and builds magnificently to an awesome climax. Next up is 'One Way', a remix of a Second Light track, which is gloriously mellow and seeks to calm you after the pace of Fight the Power. Finally, 'Maximum', which features live drumming and percussion, displays the versatility of Dreadzone and rounds off the single perfectly. (The recent 'BBC Sessions album contains similar more live-sounding tracks and should be investigated).
So, an essential purchase for any Dreadzone fan, or indeed anyone with an interest in mid-90's dance music.

Rare: the Collected B-Sides
Rare: the Collected B-Sides
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Album for Dance fans, 29 Dec. 2003
Far too many people compare Moby's earlier output unfavourably with 'Play'-era material, failing to realise that it's of a different time. Until the time of Leftfield, with the brilliant Leftism, made dance music listenable for the masses, people didn't really buy dance albums in any numbers to listen to at home. (Of course there were and always are exceptions).
Accordingly, Moby's pre-Mute recordings suffer from being compiled on 'albums' by his then-label Instinct, done without his creative input and lack cohesion as a result. (The first 'real' Moby album is therefore 'Everything is Wrong', for anyone who's interested!) Anyway, out of these early albums this one is my favourite, every song on the first disc being a bona-fide classic dance-floor anthem.
I beleive the mixes are far superior to those in 'Early Underground' and 'Moby', particularly 'Voodoo Child', 'Next is the E' and 'Have You Seen My Baby', which is quite menacing. Oh, and 'Thousand' is great for winding up friends and family who are non-dance fans!
So, don't judge too harshly, I see Moby as an artist of different eras, which beleive me is no bad thing. Just sit back, turn them up and enjoy the tunes for what they are. (As an aside, I've only ever got as far as three songs into the second disc, but the first CD makes the price worth paying alone)

Early Underground
Early Underground
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars The clue is in the title, 29 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Early Underground (Audio CD)
Unlike a great many people, I got into Moby around the time of 'Everything is Wrong', in the days before 'Play'. I had been aware of 'Go', of course, but only started being aware of Moby's back catalogue in '94-5. Hence, buying this album as well as 'Moby', 'Ambient' and 'Rare' was a lot harder (and more expensive) in those days!
This album is a collection of early recordings/singles (hence the title), and though variable in quality shows Moby more at the cutting edge (particularly bearing in mind it's all 1991 and earlier) and a lot more house orientated than his current output.
My particular favourites are 'Party Time', 'Permanenet Green' and the classic 'Voodoo Child', which in hindsight all point to things that were to come....
This is the album that fills gaps in Moby's later development, showing a far more dance-floor orientated artist, and if you like this album I thoroughly recommend 'Rare: The Collected B-Sides', which offers often better mixes of some of the tracks available here and on the debut album 'Moby'.

King Size
King Size

5.0 out of 5 stars What Happened? Why Didn't It Sell!, 27 Nov. 2003
This review is from: King Size (Audio CD)
I had only really been previously aware of the Boo Radleys due to Wake up Boo! and a good friend and singer in my one-time band tipped me off about this album. It has now gone on the win the acolade of my 'favourite album' and I quite simply never tire of hearing it.
I beleive the trio of Kingsize, High as Monkeys and Eurostar are unrivaled as the heart of any album, for sheer beauty and showing a band's quality. These three alone make it an essential purchase, but don't think the other songs are any weaker for them, Comb Your Hair flows along effortlessly, with melodies and emotion lesser bands would kill for, the opener Blue Room in Archway, is joyously experimental, harking back to Giant Steps and the slower songs such as She Is Everywhere and Song From The Blue Room have a grace and intimacy unmatched in modern music.
Having subsequently bought all the band's albums, only the afore-mentioned Giant Steps comes close and the others have suffered unfortunately in the shadow of Kingsize and rarely graced my CD player. If rumours are to be beleived and the lack of success for this album was partly to blame for the band's split, then shame on the record buyers out there for denying us a follow-up

Ima
Ima
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars This album changed my life (nearly), 27 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Ima (Audio CD)
I was a student when this album appeared and bought it pretty much straight away, as I did back in those days, due to a healthy interest in clubs at the time. Many others purchased around the time, (Robert Miles to name but one), have seldom graced my CD player since those days, but BT just gets better.
I have his subsequent releases, which are all supurb, but this album holds that special something, the ability to make your spine tingle, be it with the outright euphoria of Divinity, or the subtle melodies of Tripping the Light Fantastic.
The Sasha mix is a handy way to catch up on BT's previous releases and is skillfully done, though I sometimes lose the thread if not really into it, at around the 30 minute mark! I find all the tracks have been favourites at one time or another, I always find something new in each song on this album, surely a sign of greatness. It's also good one for showing off/testing a hi-fi, I bought my last pair of speakers on the basis of hearing parts this album through them!
As an aside, apparently appaled by his imitators, BT rejected an entire follow-up album of similar material and moved on, which surely must be one of music's great losses.

Chill Out
Chill Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung Wonder, 27 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Chill Out (Audio CD)
I have owned this album for a good few years, having 'discovered' the KLF through Last Train.., 3am Eternal, What Time is Love, etc. and found that it shows a great deal more from the duo than previously thought.
It truly is a classic 'chill out' album (sorry), up there with the Orb's first two and FSOL's Lifeforms and anyone with a passing interest in dance/ambient who isn't a KLF fan should be made to hear it.
It is simply a journey, and a pretty life-affirming one at that. I always imagine I am on a train when listening to it, it has that expectancy of the unknown, the relaxing feel of moods passing and at the end you feel you have arrived somewhere, safe and warm.
It is also nice to hear the familar KLF themes coming and going, nearer to their earlier trance incarnations (worth tracking down), which also shows the quality of these tunes.
A good companion to this album, is 'Space' originally written with Alex Patterson, before he set up the Orb, worth getting hold of if you can. Right, that's me done!

White Room
White Room
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Classic, 25 Nov. 2003
This review is from: White Room (Audio CD)
This is actually the first CD I bought (in it's original UK release) and is still probably my favourite. The only problem was that it didn't have the familiar 12' version of 'Last Train to Trancentral'. I remedied this some years later by buying the Japanese import, which was very expensive and worth every penny, but this version is someway between the two and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Not only are the well-known singles supurb, but every other track on the album is a masterpeice, particularly 'Build a Fire' and 'No More Tears'. My only warning is that you will suffer, as I did form KLF-itis and want to get hold of anything else by them that you can, which can be quite hard to do.

Reflections
Reflections

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement overall, 25 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Reflections (Audio CD)
An album that took a little getting into, I wasn't sure whether I really liked it or not over the first few listens, compared to previous PVD efforts.
While not as immediate as Out There & Back, it doesn't rely on thumping dancefloor anthems as much, and displays a better songwritting, especially some of the tracks with Jan Johnston (Spellbound, Kaleidoscope).
There are still the 'shiver-down-the-spine' moments, as found in abundance on Seven Ways, for example, and Nothing But You is a gem.
So, a more consistant album and probably PVD's most listenable (in one session, anyway).

Page: 1-10 | 11