Profile for John Hunt > Reviews

Content by John Hunt

John Hunt "john-rh" (Southampton, UK)

5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml
5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml
Price: 8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Canned air goodness, 17 April 2012
It's a can of compressed air (or something), it blows the dust away nicely. This is a much better alternative to using a boring old feather duster. Arrived quickly and as described although my can was red and not white like in the picture.

Two thumbs up good :)

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 20 July 2011
What a great read! The content I give maximum stars, but the writing is a bit weird all the way through. Ranulph seems to enjoy long disjointed sentences which although engaging can make the book a bit annoying to read.

Having said that, this book is very inspiring and makes me want to go climb mountains etc! DEFINITELY worth reading.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 20 July 2011
I don't quite get why there are so many good reviews for this book. The only thing it has going for it is that it's a bit of a page turner.

This book seems very heavily influenced by the movie 'Memento', but then I guess the idea isn't really that original anyway. The writing is fairly poor and as many others have mentioned it seems very repetitive, and not in a good way - you soon feel annoyed by the protagonist as she does stupid things just to fit in with the story.

Overall I'd recommend you read something else!

Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Offered by dlar193076
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 1 Jun 2006
It's not often I'd title a album 'timeless'. But this is it. You can't really put this album into words. A previous reviewer said it sounded dated, but I think that's almost part of the charm of this album.

This album delivers feelings of emotion and space, really is something else. I listen to a lot of electronic music also, and there's nothing like this. Nothing, not orbital, autechre, four tet, or anything sounds like this!

I rarely bother to write reviews either. If you're looking for some music to chill out to alone or with friends, buy now! Warm fuzzy feelings await.

i-Top Pro
i-Top Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun indeed..., 5 Dec 2005
This review is from: i-Top Pro (Toy)
I bought the regular itop for my nephew last year, what can I say, it's a brilliant toy, he liked it a lot, I think I liked it even more though. There's something quite facinating about the array of LEDs that creates a message, very clever. Lots of fun games...what can I say, just get it!

Drukqs
Drukqs
Price: 12.66

5.0 out of 5 stars DEEP, 8 April 2005
This review is from: Drukqs (Audio CD)
This album is mental. I let it gather dust for a long time as I thought it was just another mess of sounds. It's actually really damn damn good. Maybe some of the more mellow piano tracks are bit dull, but then again, maybe not, they make the mental ones more mental. They're all expertly programmed in, never a mis-placed beat..I think that's what makes it so good. I'm the kind of person who enjoyed Selected ambient works 1 (and 2), and I didn't think I'd like this, but I did. I recommend it, it's better than the likes of Autechre etc. AFX is a Twin.

Low Life
Low Life
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 13.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique good solid album, 24 Jan 2005
This review is from: Low Life (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album that has a quality I can't seem to find in any other dance music. It feels pretty laid back throughout, one of those albums you can either sit down and listen to, or get up and dance to. Deep south is by far NOT the best track on there. These other reviewers don't know what they're talking about. Both versions of dead man walking are far far better melodically and technically. Fantastic tunes that have the layo and bushwacka! mark of quality.
As someone who is a big fan of the slightly more weird than most music works, like massive attack - 100th window, plaid, boards of canada etc, I can recommend that you should buy this album, it's not that expensive either. If you like music that makes you feel a certain way, distant perhaps, this is for you. Like I say, a very unique album, doesn't sound like anything else you have. The one star review is obviously by someone into happy hardcore or something.

Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.37

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Massive Attack album, 17 Jan 2005
This review is from: 100th Window (Audio CD)
Some people may rate this album quite low, and I can see why, it's by no means an 'accessible' album. This is definitely on-your-own/headphone music. My first listen was dissapointing, but soon I realised this was one of the best albums I'd ever heard. This album has me LOST FOR WORDS. It's that good.
It's just great. Tracks to watch out for:
Futureproof, Butterly caught, small time shot away, name taken.
I personally think Massive attack has progressed on to something quite fitting for the age we live in. Stop reading this, buy it and take time to listen to it properly, it'll grow on you.

Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 25 May 2004
This review is from: 100th Window (Audio CD)
This album is what I'd consider to be Massive Attack's finest, you do need to listen to it a fair bit though to get used to it....then it's just something else! Oh my word!
Don't expect to listen to this one with your friends though, it's very introspective and dark...you'll soon be able to listen to this album over and over, it's more of a feeling than anything.
It's up there with orbital - insides, prodigy - music for the jilted generation, etc.. one of the best!
Go buy it now!