Profile for Daniel Harper > Reviews

Content by Daniel Harper

Daniel Harper (Belfast, Northern Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats everything other than long sleeves..., 17 Feb. 2011
I've used this in an ongoing manner for several months when travelling in Malaysia, Singapore, North-East India and Nepal. I found that even when in heavily mosquito-infested areas, when I had trousers, long sleeves and applied this to uncovered areas and slept with a sheet securely over me at night, I rarely got a bite. It is excellent stuff and needn't be applied thickly.

Dual Action Gamepad (Refresh) PC Gamepad
Dual Action Gamepad (Refresh) PC Gamepad

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE THIS GAMEPAD! CHECK COMPATIBILITY FIRST., 16 Mar. 2008
I bought this to accompany Colin McRae Rally Mac as Amazon claim that it's the "perfect partner". Well, it certainly isn't compatible with Rally Mac and I've had to return it and get a rumblepad II instead (which has been specifically tested by Feral software and is compatible). Reviews elsewhere on this gamepad are not good (mainly citing issues with analogue calibration). I really can't comment as I haven't really used it other than to discover that it was about as much help playing Colin McRae as a wet fish.

Razer eXactMat + eXactRest From Malaysia by Camkx
Razer eXactMat + eXactRest From Malaysia by Camkx

By Daniel Harper (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews

I have two of these. Prior to buying them I was using the surface of the desk, so it's difficult for me to say exactly how much better or worse this mat is to other surfaces. But, when I'm using the hospital computers and the roller mouse is sticking and the mouse pad is this nasty small greasy foam thing with the plastic edges curling - well, this is certainly better than that!

It's a chunk of metal with a fancy surface on both sides! One side rough and one smooth. Mine has had good use (and been lobbed around the house by a toddler) for almost a year and still looks like new. It certainly won't break and I've had no problems with the surface becoming scratched. It's very responsive and my Razer Deathadder never sticks even when the surface is a wee bit sweaty. If you want a large, robust, stylish and sensitive mouse mat then I have no doubt that this fits the bill.

Oh yes, someone has said that if you spill cereal over it, then it doesn't work so well. Neither does my keyboard for that matter. Or my carpet. Or my cassette player. (silently weeps at this other reviewers expectations of mouse mats...)

Razer EXACTMAT Mouse Mat

RAZER EXACTMAT

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2009 4:39 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent headphone for rock music., 15 Mar. 2008
Recently I bought a pair of AKG k701s. Fantastic headphones, but not good at rock music. After much online reading, I bought these Grado SR80 headphones to plug that gap.

The difference between the two headphones is profound. My immediate impression of the Grado SR80 was 'yuck'! The boxing looks cheap, the headphones (compared to k701s) are plasticky and the foam was on wonky. They didn't look like a 'prestige series' headphone. However, they're lightweight for overear cans and much more comfortable than I had been led to believe.

In terms of sound, the tonality I'm told is characteristic of Grado - warm, bass-heavy but still with excellent treble. They go loud... very loud without distorting and (to my ears at least) they sound as good straight off the ipod as with a headphone amp (I own a Ray Samuels hornet which I don't use with these headphones). The soundstage is SMALL - well defined, clear, but more like you're in a band-room than an opera house! Which is why they're excellent for rock music. When saying the soundstage is small, I'm not saying that the stereo representation or localisation of sound is in any way other than excellent - just that everything is very immediate and close-to. They're also bassy, but not overly so. I find for certain types of music such as electronic like fluke or moby (or if I'm just in the mood for bass) that the Hip-Hop EQ enhances the bass without overly affecting the other frequency ranges. The other EQs on my 5G iPod muddy the sound too much to be of use.

So - look a wee bit cheap, but sturdy build, lovely sound which is best suited to rock, nice stereo and definition, but small soundstage. I use them as my walk-about headphones and do wear them in public (although they leak being open-backed). However, they're most definitely not reference and if for you the joy is in the detail - in hearing the vocalist breath, in hearing the buzz of a guitar string, in precisely pinpointing orchestral instruments I wouldn't recommend. However, if you love music as a whole (the overall sound), if you want your brains jangled, if you want the best sound on your mp3 player without having to invest in an amp then you can't go far wrong with these.

Finally, I disagree with one of the other reviewers comments about iPods. I use iPod 5G, RSA Hornet and AudioLineOut Supercotton Dock and in my humble opinion this system (provided mp3s are well-encoded) would be hard to fault. Granted, I don't own stacks of very very expensive hi-fi equipment and can't directly compare.

Page: 1 | 2