Profile for mauras > Reviews

mauras

Manfrotto MK294A3-D3RC2 294 Aluminium Tripod Kit with 3 Way QR Head
Manfrotto MK294A3-D3RC2 294 Aluminium Tripod Kit with 3 Way QR Head
Price: 89.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a good piece of hardware and it supports my "heavy" nikon well..., 30 Aug 2013
I'm not a professional (or even amateur) user. Bought it because I liked to try night photography. So, I cannot offer any comparison with other products.

This is a sturdy tripod, easy to set up and overall seems of very good quality. It is easy to regulate even when I want inclinations (point to the stars) greater than the "head" will offer. I still need to get used to the attach mechanism for the camera... but it seems that, once used to it, should be easy to operate.

It is probably heavier and bigger than I expected. But the measures were clearer; I just did not gave enough thought of it. But, whit this I can shoot standing up or even "above" the crowd. I just cannot attach it to my camera bag... need a "dedicated" (but home made) bag.

Probably recommend it to professionals or amateurs that need a sturdy support for long exposures...

SAS Survival Handbook: The ultimate guide to surviving anywhere
SAS Survival Handbook: The ultimate guide to surviving anywhere
by John 'Lofty' Wiseman
Price: 11.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A complete and thorough overview of survival scenarios., 7 Feb 2011
A very thorough book on all the essential skills needed for survival and it seems also a very handy reference for all who like camping.

I have other books of the type and this seems more complete... but not by much. If bought at its "normal" price would be a little expensive. Nevertheless if you want to buy a book (and just one) on survival skills this is a very good candidate to be it.

It has a section on eatable/poisonous plants but I believe it is not very useful, at least without some field training... which has many risks if you do not have someone to teach you by example. So far I've never been much of an outdoor guy, and I may have difficulty in distinguish some plants from anothers... and the mushroom section seems like very "dangerous"... you might feel tempted to eat stuff that is "similar" to what is on the pictures...

My personal opinion (and also like it is on the book) is that this should be complemented by practicing what you read on it.

Best regards

Sea to Summit Event Compression Dry Sack ADCSM Medium
Sea to Summit Event Compression Dry Sack ADCSM Medium
Price: 19.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall review, 13 Sep 2010
The sack is very well built and very easy to use. Its very easy to stuff and tight with the compression straps... unpacking is also a "breeze".

I did not test the waterproofness of the sack in "real life conditions"... Just sprayed it with some water and in deed it seems waterproof.

Overall it is a very nice piece of gear