Profile for BlueHippo > Reviews

Content by BlueHippo

BlueHippo

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Disposable Self Foaming Toothbrush with xylitol (Pack of 5 toothbrushes)
Disposable Self Foaming Toothbrush with xylitol (Pack of 5 toothbrushes)
Offered by EasiLivingCom
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy!, 14 Jun 2014
These toothbrushes are perfect for camping, if you are backpacking and want to keep the rucksack as light as possible, as all the little things such as a whole tube of toothpaste really do add up to unnecessary extra weight. with toothpaste already on these, you literally just need water to be able to have nice fresh teeth, and you can just chuck it in the bin once you are done with it. Would highly recommend due to their ease and lightness!

My Name is Memory
My Name is Memory
by Ann Brashares
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: My Name is Memory (Paperback)
This book will certainly live on in memory as one of the most gripping, action-packed, unputdownable reads ever! I love romantic teen fiction, which this is a perfect example of, but with the fast-paced movement from one historical era to the next with each chapter, it was a very interesting read. The plotline kept me guessing all the way through, and the chapters alternated between different character's perspectives, keeping the reader on their feet and making the story more lively. The descriptions are really good, and the character so well-built, I felt I got to know them really well. Overall, a great read I recommend to any teen!

Angela's Ashes
Angela's Ashes
by Frank McCourt
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great autobiographical memoir, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Angela's Ashes (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book - it was a pleasure to dip into and immerse myself in the little anecdotes that made up McCourt's childhood. This book covers a wide spectrum of themes, combining genres of comedy and tragedy, comparing the young against the old and showing the gradual progression in maturity of a young boy growing up in poverty-stricken Ireland. The descriptions were very vivid,and I now reflect on the book as a valuable story to cherish forever, and pass on to several generations.

Every Man For Himself
Every Man For Himself
by Beryl Bainbridge
Price: 7.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't float my boat....., 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Every Man For Himself (Paperback)
I was hesitant to read this book, as I hate knowing the outcome of a story, so knowing the inevitable sinking of the Titanic, I didn't feel as enthusiastic and open-minded as I usually do when reading a novel. I found it very boring, to begin with and again in the middle - only when the ship starts sinking does any drama take place. Also, there were many unexplained parts to the story - in the prologue it begins with a man dying in the arms of the main protagonist, which doesn't really fit in with the rest of the story. The multitude of characters in the novel also confused me - Seefax, Scurra, Mr and Mrs Straus, Adele, Wallis, Melchett..... so many to keep track of, and the links between them not made very clear. Of course, the descriptions were good, especially regarding the extravagance of the ship,and made the settings easy to picture, but the dull storyline and overload of characters meant this book really didn't float my boat.

Tess Of The D'urbervilles [DVD]
Tess Of The D'urbervilles [DVD]
Dvd ~ Justine Waddell
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but book is better, 26 Aug 2012
After reading Tess of the D'urbervilles, I was looking forward to comparing the DVD version to my own imagination of characters' appearances, execution of events etc. This film was satisfying, but could have been better. Tess was very well played, capturing her naivety, innocence and fragility. The settings are beautiful too, very well suited to the settings described in the novel. I think the way it was filmed did lack the dramatic effects that would enhance the suspense of the plotline, but this didn't overshadowed the greatness of the film. Rather good, but do read the novel first.

Rebecca (VMC)
Rebecca (VMC)
by Daphne Du Maurier
Price: 8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabbing, gripping and gothic, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Rebecca (VMC) (Paperback)
A gothic classic, Rebecca is a dark novel involving mystery, murder, romance and drama. Be plunged into the daily life of a young girl (who rather oddly is not named by the author) who works as a companion to a rich, nosy and extravagant woman. Little does she know that soon her life will be turned around - marrying Maxim de Winter, the owner of the well-known Manderly Estate and adapting to life as lady of the house. Behind the elegant furnishings, flowery Happy Valley, warm fires and plush cushions lies a deep reminder of Maxim's previous wife - Rebecca. Rebecca haunts the new wife in many ways - the new wife is reminded often of how Rebecca arranged the flowers, of how Rebecca spent her mornings, of how Rebecca arranged parties. Mrs Danvers, the cold and unfriendly housekeeper makes the new Mrs de Winter even more uncomfortable, hiding secrets behind her beedy eyes. I can only mention that turmoil, excitement and mystery unravels from this point onwards, thrilling and marvellous to read. Do read this book, you won't regret it, as its pungent storyline and dramatic ending is sure to remain in the memory forever.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, gripping and good classic read, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
When I picked this book up, I was less than delighted at it's boring front cover, but within this lay a great story that I'm very glad I read. Exciting, funny and comical, this is one of my all-time favourite classics, set in America. It follows the tale of a boy discovering the difficulties of adolescence, leaving school, have regular punch-ups with boys and experiencing a troublesome family life. Realistic and with a good storyline, this book is easy to read and enjoy. It took me only a matter of days to do so, so hooked was I on the fabulous messes the main character kept getting himself into. I'm sure anyone would enjoy this book, the reason it gets four stars instead of five is due to the rather abrupt ending - another event here could have extended the tale in a more finished way.

The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series)
The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series)
by James Dashner
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!, 18 Aug 2012
Having been a devoted reader of the Maze Runner trilogy, I could hardly contain my excitement when the third installment came out. I wasn't disappointed - the trilogy went out with a bang, as more action, mystery and romance unfold in the plotline. The book barley left my hands in the three days I read it in, so glued was I to find out what would happen to Tom, Theresa, Brenda and Newt. The mutations and fantastical beasts the teens encounter are wondrous - descriptive writing at is finest, inspiring my own writing in many aspects. The ending is superb,although there remains some unanswered questions, which I believe are going to be answered in the prequel The Kill Order (Maze Runner Prequel) (Maze Runner Trilogy) which is to be released soon. I encourage you to read this trilogy - each book is intricately woven together and is cleverly linked on to the next book. I can't think of anything not to love about these books, as once you read one chapter, you are hungry for another, and before you know it, the book's over! Please, indulge yourself in a bit of action - you won't regret it.

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series)
by James Dashner
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A credit to young adult fiction...., 18 Aug 2012
Love the Hunger Games? Love this! It is riveting, action-packed and thrilling, a novel that will have you screaming with tension, sliding to the edge of your seat. Thomas wakes up one day, in a dark box, and then in to a different world. Follow him on his tackles in the Maze, his fights with Gally, his flirts with Theresa and his quest to find answers to his past. This is such a good read - if your teenage son/daughter is going through a stage of dislike for reading, handing them this will have them little bookworms in no time. Sci-fi, action, fantasy, romance, mytsery, all combined in one book creates an amazing novel to be enjoyed and relished in time and time again.

A Gathering Light
A Gathering Light
by Jennifer Donnelly
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Gathering Light (Paperback)
Jennifer Donnelly is a talented author, and after reading Revolution, I was ready to dive into the highly-reviewed A Gathering Light with gusto. However, I found the book dull and disinteresting. The storyline was marvellous, but with more powerful vocabulary and written in a more interesting way, this novel could have been much meatier. I wanted to cry about the girl who drowned, but the way it was written did not pull at my heartstrings in the way one would long for. I wanted to feel I was Mattie, but she rarely expresses her emotions in the novel, leaving me apart from immersing into the novel. I am surprised other people haven't found this book as simple to read as I did - maybe it is aimed at a younger audience, but it just wasn't meaty enough for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 10:11 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4