Profile for Ari N > Reviews

XQuery
XQuery
by Priscilla Walmsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the Best Book on XQuery, 3 May 2012
This review is from: XQuery (Paperback)
I've had reason to revisit Priscilla Walmsley's terrific XQuery book lately. It's still the best XQuery book out there - not that there are that many - and in spite of it only covering 1.0, it's far more useful than most of the web pages out there.

I'd love to see it updated for XQuery 3.0, though. So much has happened with the language, so surely there is a market for a new edition once 3.0 becomes a finished recommendation? O'Reilly & Ms Walmsley, are you listening?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 12:52 PM GMT

Tuff-Luv Leather Case Cover and Wrap-M Cable Manager Technology for Cowon J3
Tuff-Luv Leather Case Cover and Wrap-M Cable Manager Technology for Cowon J3

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It's Supposed to, and Does It Well, 22 April 2012
Although I immediately noticed that J3 has the kind of hardened screen that is unlikely to scratch, I suspect the body is more sensitive than the screen, especially if the player is going to live in my pocket. There was a time when Cowon supplied protective covers to their products (I still have my iAudio 5 largely unscratched because of the simple plastic cover that was in the package), but no more. Now I rely on third parties for the job. Since I already have a Tuff-Luv case for my Kindle, checking what they had to offer first was a no-brainer.

I wasn't disappointed. I'm very particular about the products I buy--design is important--but the J3 cover has a high-quality finish, with soft leather and well-made seams, with easy access to every function, just as the Kindle (3) cover. While both do make the products they protect slightly thicker, neither feels bulky, just protected.

I have to say that I haven't found any real use for the cable manager thingy that was supplied with the cover, though. It's a clever idea but it makes the J3 a little too bulky, and I've never had a problem with my earphone cables.

Still, I have to give the Tuff-Luv cover full marks. I'm very pleased.

Programming in C (Developer's Library)
Programming in C (Developer's Library)
by Stephen Kochan

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, 29 Sept. 2005
Programming in C is probably the best introduction I've read to any programming language. It's the near-perfect example of how a computer book should be written, a pleasure to read, well-paced, challenging, addictive.
What's best with it, though, is that it has inspired great confidence in me. I *know* now that C is a language I can master.
So I've ordered K&R for a reality check. It should be arriving any day now.

RELAX NG
RELAX NG
by Eric van der Vlist

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read about a great schema language, 20 Feb. 2004
This review is from: RELAX NG (Paperback)
Eric van der Vlist's book is the first one about Relax NG, and an excellent way to learn about the subject. Van der Vlist is an acknowledged expert in the area of schema languages, and it shows. He can't save a bad schema language (his previous book was about W3C's XML Schema) but he can make a very interesting book about a good one.
The book walks you through the steps of writing your first Relax NG schema, and then gradually introduces new features, discusses data typing, regular expressions in patterns, schema modularization, and a number of more advanced topics such as a chapter on determinism and ambiguity as handled by Relax NG. There are many examples and, for those familiar with DTDs or W3C's XML Schemas, numerous in-depth comparisons between Relax NG and these schema languages. The second part of the book is an element-by-element reference, very helpful when writing schemas.
If you're new to XML, or if you've never attempted to write an XML schema of some kind, you'll probably do well to read up on what you've missed. If you've used other XML schema languages (or, for that matter, if you've written SGML DTDs), however, Relax NG is a great read.
As a language, Relax NG is at the very core of XML and markup languages. I suspect that "docheads" get a bigger kick out of it than "codeheads", though, but then, I'm a dochead myself. Be as it may, Relax NG is very elegant and, in my opinion, just about the only real alternative to DTDs. This book gives you everything you need to get up to speed quickly, but also provides enough technical detail to keep the subject interesting beyond the basics.