Profile for gil > Reviews

gil (france)

Let It Be
Let It Be

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, naked or not, 16 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Let It Be (Audio CD)
Good remastering of a good album. We were getting used to Let it be naked and one can't help comparing the two versions. In fact the main differences are in the sequencing (maybe Naked is better), the production of I me Mine (Naked is better) Let it be, Across the Universe, The Long and Widding road (good Phil Spector's touch), and the presence of Don't let me down (Kudos for Naked !).

In fact you need both version if you're a fan -and even the Glyn Jones Get back if you can find it.

Here's what would have been a tremedous alternative album for me :

Get back (single version)
I dig a poney (let it be)
For you blue (let it be naked)
Two of us (let it be naked)
Let it be (let it be)
Maggie May (let it be)

One after 909 (let it be naked)
I got a feeling (let it be naked)
Don't let me down (single version)
I Me Mine (let it be Naked)
Across the Universe (let it be)
The long and widding road (let it be)

Or :

Get back (single version)
Don't let me down (single version)
The ballad of John and Yoko (single)
Two of us (let it be naked)
For you blue (let it be naked)
Let it be (let it be)

One after 909 (let it be naked)
I got a feeling (let it be naked)
Maggie May (let it be)
Old brown shoe (single)
Across the Universe (let it be)
The long and widding road (let it be)

KInd regards

Please Please Me
Please Please Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good even in stereo !, 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Please Please Me (Audio CD)
I was a bit worried about the stereo version, after all what has been written about the limitation of the two tracks recordings. Actually it's very good and makes for a new listening experience if you are used to the mono version.
The album itself is of course a classic. I saw her standing there and Twist and shout are Rock'n Roll at is best !
Worth it for sure !

The Beatles In Mono
The Beatles In Mono

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is !, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Beatles In Mono (Audio CD)
It was hard to choose but I finally opted for the mono box. I have all the 87 cd's and it was time to listen to Revolver and Peper in mono after all that has been said about these mix.

A great box indeed ! I'm glad I have it. Peper in mono is fantastic. But the real revelation is the White album mono mix. I think it's far better. Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence are just tremendous. And even Ob La Di-Ob La Da sounds nice without the stupids hand claps of the stereo version.

But is it the ultimate box ? No. Some stereo remasters works better and for each cd it's mainly a question of taste. Mono or stereo ? Here's my choice :

PPS : mono even if I'm not so impressed. Actually I love the stereo version of the Capitol Early Beatles album.
WTB : mono, but again I think the stereo Capitol Second album with the reverb is great.
AHDN : stereo. Mono is also great.
BFS : stereo shines.
Help : stereo. But the capitol version is the one I love best. That's only me you know...
RS : stereo, more airy ..
Revolver : stereo, even if Taxman and Rigby are better in their mono incarnations. But overall I'm a bit dissapointed with the mono mix : the trippiest songs are best heard in stereo.
Peper : mono, so smooth. Really great !
MMT : mono.
White album : mono.The real surprise for me !

KInd regards.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2009 2:52 PM GMT

The Capitol Albums Vol. 1
The Capitol Albums Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh listen !, 21 Oct. 2009
I was raised with the British versions of the beatles albums. They are tremendous of course. I recently bought the capitol boxes (Vol.1 and 2) and I was surprised how great the US albums were. Meet the beatles is easily as good as With the beatles, and it's nice to have the track This boy on an album. The Beatles US second album has a great and unique rock'n roll feel to it. The US Help soundtrack is funny and enjoyable, much more a soundtrack album for the better and the worse. The US version of Rubber Soul is more folky and that's good for me. The sequencing of the Early beatles US album is better than on Please please me, with Love me do and Twist and shout as starters.

My advice would be to buy the capitol Vol. 1 and 2, even if you already own the new remastered box of the UK albums. It's a fresh listen !

The Capitol Albums Vol. 2
The Capitol Albums Vol. 2

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh listen !, 21 Oct. 2009

Live It Up
Live It Up
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

4.0 out of 5 stars Time to reconsider, 30 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Live It Up (Audio CD)
Issued in 1990, just before the boxed set, with great expectations (Lou Reed, Neil Young, Bob Dylan had just issued relevant and popular albums), this LP was universally banned by the critics and was a flop commercially.

The prejudice at the time was probably more against the production (slick 80's and actually not what one expect from a CSN album) than against the songwriting itself. In fact both were good. Live it Up is a cathy opener with a great guitar solo. Yours and Mine (with a Brandford Marsalis solo !) After the Dolphin are also very goog songs. And the best trak of the album Haven't we lost enough ? is one of Stills alltime best.

Just give it a try, you may have a good surprise if you're a CSN fan.

B Is for Bob (Eco)
B Is for Bob (Eco)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but worth it, 7 Aug. 2009
This review is from: B Is for Bob (Eco) (Audio CD)
It's nice to have a new Bob Marley compilation on the market. And good remixes of Bob's tunes are always welcome. The remixes of Bend down low , Small axe, and Stir it up are maybe a bit too clean, putting Bob in the middle of the road. But, ok, it's supposed to be a kids compilation isn't it ? And the other remixes are very welcome and tasty. Good to have an unplugged version of Three little byrds. Great to have an alternate version of Satisfy my soul. And the bongo version of Jamming is a keeper ! Overall, it's a fun listen. Thanks to Ziggy for offering it ! My sons and I will enjoy.