Profile for Mr Paul Savory > Reviews

Content by Mr Paul Savory

Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
LEGO Lord of the Rings (Wii)
LEGO Lord of the Rings (Wii)
Offered by Gamesbuyer

4.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Glitches, problems and freezes... but still a good game., 18 Jan. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly - THE NEGATIVES:

I have spent hours and hours playing this excellent game BUT have run into glitches and have to quit to "Middle Earth" and start the level again. I have also had several "freezes" and I have to turn the power off at the mains and reboot the Wii unit and game.
I am not alone on this as I found out when searching for advice on line. It is commonly accepted that problems occur after about 2 hours constant play or with the game switched on for 2 hours. I wonder if it was rushed to coincide with the release of Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and not enough time spent by the quality control dept on it?

Now THE PROS and cheats:

As with all the Lego games this is great fun. I am 45 years old, work full-time on shifts and still have hours of fun on the wii. Tolkien made the distances in Middle Earth sound like miles. I ran, using Legolas, from Hobbiton to beyond Mt Doom in about 8 minutes. God knows how Peter Jackson made those movies last 9.30 hours. Those movies are almost made in their entirety in Lego mode. (see them on YouTube. Walk throughs are also on YouTube which is helpful for "cheats" on where to find stuff.

SPOILER - one character to get asap is Beserker, (code: UE5Z7H )he has bombs more powerful than wands and staffs.

If this should be your first Lego Wii game then good luck as it is difficult and time consuming. I love the way Wii put an age of 7 on the packaging - like to see the little sods take on some of the tasks. The game set is fun also, you chose whether to play a level or just run around Middle Earth doing tasks and completing adventures and finding rewards.

Bowie in His Own Words
Bowie in His Own Words
by David Bowie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Book Covering Bowie's Golden Years (1969/79) For Fans Only., 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Bowie in His Own Words (Hardcover)
"I must explain that I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about in my writing." Bowie, 1973. Says it all really. This book is superb. Of its 130 pages two thirds are black and white photos and the remainder are quotes from Bowie concerning politics, growing up, rock n roll, Ziggy, love life, emotions, the state of art, creativity, sex and coming distractions.

The quotes are genuine but Bowie, himself has contradicted his own words on many occassions. However, this is a must have book.
It desparately needs updating as the last album discussed here is ,Lodger'. I bought my copy back the early 1980's and I use it not only as a reference book on Bowie but also enjoy it for a very good read.

That said some of the quotes are open to various interprations, but when does Bowie ever give a straight answer.

So this book is aimed not at the casual reader but at Bowie fans who can go someway to descipher his quotes.

Thanx for reading this review.

Reality
Reality

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW ALADDIN SANE, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Reality (Audio CD)
My review of Aladdin Sane said it was a weird mix of styles and sounds, but it worked. Well same here without the "Glam Rock". Basically soft rock and pop but with hidden depths. So that's Hours, Heathen and Reality all very listenable. Could the 90s, 00s and teens be a new golden age for Bowie and his fans... we will have to wait for THE NEXT DAY... but after hearing Where Are We Now? (ok one song, as we know, does not make a Bowie LP) we could be onto a winner.

The following info is designed to help new-comers to point them in the right direction for their own tastes.
The No. * rating is very personal to me and these ratings have never really changed in all the 33 years I've been listening to Bowie. They are how I rate the whole LP/cd compared to other BOWIE output.
During 1990 and 1991 EMI released digitally remastered cds under the title of "SOUND + VISION". Most had bonus tracks... some tracks are poor but some are worth getting.
The following list is not definitive but points out the most accessible cds to newbies of Bowie.

1967 DAVID BOWIE - try getting the DELUXE EDITION, or DERAM ANTHOLOGY (not as complete but a good collection). 60's pop / whimsical / musical hall / very folk. 2*
1969 SPACE ODDITY - Electric folk / folk / soft rock - just like Hunky Dory 5*
1970 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - Rock / hard rock - not unlike early Black Sabbath. 4*
1971 - HUNKY DORY - Folk / folk rock - just like Space Oddity 5*
1972 - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (aka ZIGGY STARDUST) Rock / glam rock 4*
1973 - PIN-UPS - 60's cover versions in rock / glam style. 2*
1974 - DIAMOND DOGS. An Orwellian style, bleak lyrics, up-beat rock and shades of soul hidden within. 5*
1974 - DAVID LIVE - The soul is starting to come thru. Not rock, more funk in style but without the funk... confusing !! 1*
1975 - YOUNG AMERICANS - Soul / funk 3*, but every time I play it I think hang on, this is 5* (confused again !!). Try and get the version with, "Who can I be now?", "it's gonna be me" & "John, I'm only dancing, again".
1976 - STATIONTOSTATION - The start of electronics can be heard here. Soul / soft rock 5* at least.
1977 - LOW - and enter BRIAN ENO. This is my fave LP. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see "Heroes".
1977 - "HEROES" - and BRIAN ENO. This is one of my fave LPs. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see LOW.
1978 - STAGE - live and brilliant but with fade-outs and gaps between songs. 4*. Life is tried to be pumped into some tunes which are, for me, left more barren and desolate.
1979 - LODGER - and more BRIAN ENO. A right mishmash of sounds and tunes. Took me years to get into this LP. 3* Pop (in a word).
1980 - SCARY MONSTERS & SUPER CREEPS - and this is where I came in. Rock with hints of funk, depression and it contains "Up The Hill Backwards"... my all-time fave single (strange choice I know, especially when I adore Bohemian Rhapsody)
1983 - LET'S DANCE. Disco-esque / soft rock. 4*. This is Bowie's biggest selling LP.
1993 - THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA. Pop 3*
1995 - 1.OUTSIDE. 2*. God I was wetting myself to hear this when I heard it was the return of BRIAN ENO. God I was disappointed. It's a story (a murder mystery) with only patches of brilliant music. 1*
1997 - EARTHLING. Not knowing what drum & bass is, the making of this cd documentary kept referring to it an D&B. I never got into it. 2*
2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*
2003 - REALITY. Omg, it's 10 years old now. I hadn't realised he had a new cd out upon my return after a holiday. So it went into the shopping trolley my wife was pushing and it has never been very far away from the cd player. For me, I can hear shades of ALADDIN SANE. Pop / rock 5*
2013 - THE NEXT DAY. With it's altered "Heroes" cover ...(to be updated after its release)

Heathen
Heathen
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A SLOW BURNER IN MY COLLECTION, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Heathen (Audio CD)
First few times I played this I didn't like it. Don't know why. Then after a few years (yes years) I found I did like it... more and more. Beautiful: pop, soft rock and many other shades.

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 9:38 AM BST

Hours
Hours

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been a long time for a full Bowie lp I can play from start to finish., 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hours (Audio CD)
Wonderful. Beautiful. Lavish. Not since 1983's Let's Dance can I put on one of Bowie's lps and listen to it without jumping tracks or going off to do something less boring instead. Hours is for me a true gem. Soft rock, pop with hints of many other shades. That is what Bowie is and does - he paints and blends colours into shades, he does the same with his music. Many times the shades have had jagged edges when a smooth finish was required or vice versa. Here, on Hours, the colours are perfect.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 7:20 PM GMT

Never Let Me Down
Never Let Me Down

2.0 out of 5 stars Only just better than TONIGHT., 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Never Let Me Down (Audio CD)
Still in the dancy, poppy stuff. However, it did have a harder edge and more "rockers" (lack of a better word) than Tonight.

1993 - THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA. Pop 3*
1995 - 1.OUTSIDE. God I was wetting myself to hear this when I heard it was the return of BRIAN ENO. God I was disappointed. It's a story (a murder mystery) with only patches of brilliant music. 1*

Let's Dance
Let's Dance

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a ROCK music fan - but... 4* all the same., 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Let's Dance (Audio CD)
I remember reading a review in a local paper 30 years ago that said "Let's Dance take off where Scary Monsters left off". What twaddle. It also said the the reworked CAT PEOPLE (fantastic 12" original) was "heavy metal" more twaddle. I was looking forward to hearing this lp as I love Scary Monsters... . Oh what a shock. So from being a rock fan I had to now appreciate dance, and all of sudden I did. I like this album a lot. Says it all really. 30 years later and I still love this lp.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 11:02 PM BST

Scary Monsters
Scary Monsters

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK, POP and FEEDBACK. A NOISY STUNNER., 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Scary Monsters (Audio CD)
His last LP with RCA and the last work for many years with Tony Visconti. 1980 and this is where I came in as a Bowie fan. I had heard "UP THE HILL BACKWARDS" and asked my mate for a copy of the lp. It wasn't long before I bought my own vinyl copy. This and the next lp, Let's Dance (1983) would prove to be the parents of his biggest singles, 4 off this album and 3 off Let's Dance Let's Dance (later pressings of LET'S DANCE also include UNDER PRESSURE BY QUEEN & BOWIE)). 2 singles off Scary Monsters vanished without making much impact on the UK charts, but Fashion and Ashes To Ashes (what an amazing video) did very well. Lyrically bleak, musically disturbing and loud it gels to make one of the best rock albums in the world...ever !!!

Lodger
Lodger

3.0 out of 5 stars More ENO than Bowie and only 36 minutes (10 songs). Disappointing after LOW & HEROES., 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lodger (Audio CD)
Low, mainly recorded in France, but polished off in Berlin; Heroes is the Berlin album, and Lodger could have been recorded anywhere. That's the "BERLIN TRILOGY". All the tracks are "POP", whether that's world music, disco or downbeat. Brian Eno is much more to the front on this album, and if like me you also like Eno's pop music then this is for u2... sorry, you to. It's one of the shortest lps by Bowie 35mins (approx) for 10 songs. By reading info on the net, you can discover interesting facts about Bowie's work. And this is one of the more interesting lp's to read about, if not to listen to. For example (and I will not explain): "SEDUD GNUOY EHT LLA" so let's Move On. (if you get that, and have the software then try it. It is really interesting. (wonder if it's on youtube?)). The final thing I want to share about this cd - I feel "Look Back In Anger" is an excellent bonus track and it almost 7 minutes long. If you can locate it all the better.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 9:00 PM BST

Heroes
Heroes

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG THIS IS SSSSOOOOOOO DEPRESSING, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Heroes (Audio CD)
Depressing or what... "Sense of Doubt"... in a dark room, with the volume up a little. Totally brilliant.

Secondly, let's jump back to Eno's 5* LP from 1975, ANOTHER GREEN WORLD. Another Green World This is (for me 1 of the 2) Eno's most accessible LP. And the other is Before & After Science Before And After Science. And while I am listing stuff, here's LOW Low. NOW, all of the above make perfect listening companions. Each LP contains individual tunes/songs but their lay out is so well organized that they seem to flow into one another (yes, I know there are segues on "Heroes" but they are minimal.

These 4 albums have seemed to created an entire genre, and age of music; the synth years. Whether its copyists such as Gary Numan or those with a bit more pop, like OMD. But equally Bowie nods his hat to Edgar Frosse and his solo work, away from Tangerine Dream, as an influence.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19