Profile for Mr Paul Savory > Reviews

Content by Mr Paul Savory

Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
Diamond Dogs
Diamond Dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars The next story LP after "Ziggy" is not so clear in its narration., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Diamond Dogs (Audio CD)
George Orwell's estate refuse Bowie the rights to turn 1984 into record. However, all was not lost. Hints of Orwell are present on this wonderfully bleak, desolate yet bouncy tuned LP. Glam, soul and soundscapes. 1995, 1.Outside would be the next story cd. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (40th Anniversary Edition) [Remastered] (Remastered)1. Outside

The following info is designed to help new-comers to point them in the right direction for their own tastes.
The No. * rating is very personal to me and these ratings have never really changed in all the 33 years I've been listening to Bowie. They are how I rate the whole LP/cd compared to other BOWIE output.
During 1990 and 1991 EMI released digitally remastered cds under the title of "SOUND + VISION". Most had bonus tracks... some tracks are poor but some are worth getting.
The following list is not definitive but points out the most accessible cds to newbies of Bowie.

1967 DAVID BOWIE - try getting the DELUXE EDITION, or DERAM ANTHOLOGY (not as complete but a good collection). 60's pop / whimsical / musical hall / very folk. 2*
1969 SPACE ODDITY - Electric folk / folk / soft rock - just like Hunky Dory 5*
1970 - THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD - Rock / hard rock - not unlike early Black Sabbath. 4*
1971 - HUNKY DORY - Folk / folk rock - just like Space Oddity 5*
1972 - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (aka ZIGGY STARDUST) Rock / glam rock 4*
1973 - PIN-UPS - 60's cover versions in rock / glam style. 2*
1974 - DIAMOND DOGS. An Orwellian style, bleak lyrics, up-beat rock and shades of soul hidden within. 5*
1974 - DAVID LIVE - The soul is starting to come thru. Not rock, more funk in style but without the funk... confusing !! 1*
1975 - YOUNG AMERICANS - Soul / funk 3*, but every time I play it I think hang on, this is 5* (confused again !!). Try and get the version with, "Who can I be now?", "it's gonna be me" & "John, I'm only dancing, again".
1976 - STATIONTOSTATION - The start of electronics can be heard here. Soul / soft rock 5* at least.
1977 - LOW - and enter BRIAN ENO. This is my fave LP. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see "Heroes".
1977 - "HEROES" - and BRIAN ENO. This is one of my fave LPs. Bleak, depressing, alienation and very electronic with quiet rock . 5* at least. Also see LOW.
1978 - STAGE - live and brilliant but with fade-outs and gaps between songs. 4*. Life is tried to be pumped into some tunes which are, for me, left more barren and desolate.
1979 - LODGER - and more BRIAN ENO. A right mishmash of sounds and tunes. Took me years to get into this LP. 3* Pop (in a word).
1980 - SCARY MONSTERS & SUPER CREEPS - and this is where I came in. Rock with hints of funk, depression and it contains "Up The Hill Backwards"... my all-time fave single (strange choice I know, especially when I adore Bohemian Rhapsody)
1983 - LET'S DANCE. Disco-esque / soft rock. 4*. This is Bowie's biggest selling LP.
1993 - THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA. Pop 3*
1995 - 1.OUTSIDE. God I was wetting myself to hear this when I heard it was the return of BRIAN ENO. God I was disappointed. It's a story (a murder mystery) with only patches of brilliant music. 1*
1997 - EARTHLING. Not knowing what drum & bass is, the making of this cd documentary kept referring to it an D&B. I never got into it. 2*
2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*
2003 - REALITY. Omg, it's 10 years old now. I hadn't realised he had a new cd out upon my return after a holiday. So it went into the shopping trolley my wife was pushing and it has never been very far away from the cd player. For me, I can hear shades of ALADDIN SANE. Pop / rock 5*

Pin Ups
Pin Ups

2.0 out of 5 stars Very rarely does a cover LP deliver..., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pin Ups (Audio CD)
... and for me, it does not. When I bought this LP (age 12ish) I only knew "See Emily Play". I had "Ziggy..." but oh dear. Yes it's glam rock in its finish but young David Jones/Bowie was a mod with R&B roots. The Who crossed over nicely from one genre to another and Bowie does a fine job on those but some other tracks lack, and Sorrow is brilliant.

ROSALYN - THE PRETTY THINGS
DON'T BRING ME DOWN - THE PRETTY THINGS
SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME - THE YARDBIRDS
ANYWAY, ANYHOW, ANYWHERE? - THE WHO
WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE - THE KINKS
I think the groups are correct.

2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*
2013 - THE NEXT DAY. With it's altered "Heroes" cover ...(to be updated after its release)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2013 11:37 AM GMT

Aladdin Sane: Remastered
Aladdin Sane: Remastered
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars RAW ENERGY AND HIGH VOLUME, 14 Jan 2013
A weird mix this lp, but it works. Hard Rock, electric ballads, wonderful rock'n'roll style piano and almost-cabaret styles on this glam rock classic. There are no bonus tracks on the 1990 sound & vision version.

1971 - HUNKY DORY - Folk / folk rock - just like Space Oddity 5*
1973 - ALADDIN SANE - Rock / glam rock 3.5* (no bonus tracks on 1990 edition)

The Man Who Sold The World
The Man Who Sold The World

4.0 out of 5 stars ROCK and HEAVY METAL, strange but true, 14 Jan 2013
Heavy Metal, yes indeed. Black Sabbath's first 2 lps are out (1969/70) and this sounds like a very slightly quieter companion. Just like Sabbath's "Black Sabbath" and "Paranoid" lps this is not a 'heads down, no non- sense' sound. It is intelligent rock with shades of metal, space rock and acoustic moments. It took me years to get into this lp as a whole but it was worth the wait. She Shook Me Cold is just one of the standout tracks.

Space Oddity
Space Oddity

5.0 out of 5 stars FOLK ROCK, SOFT ROCK and his first truly great LP., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Space Oddity (Audio CD)
Before I bought this album I had only heard the single Space Oddity. I had owed a copy of Hunky Dory for years prior. If I had known that the pair are very similar then I would not have wasted years of "umm-in & rr-ing".Hunky Dory

David Bowie
David Bowie

2.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING but really for avid David fans., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: David Bowie (Audio CD)
Almost all of the DERAM output in both mono and stereo. Very folkish, whimsical and bordering on music hall variety. Before buying this, check out The Deram Anthology track listing,The Deram Anthology: 1966-1968 it maybe what you're after.

2002 - HEATHEN - pop / soft rock 4*

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars: 40th Anniversary Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO A STORY LP, THEN THIS IS A BLUEPRINT, 14 Jan 2013
This cd is ROCK and GLAM and a year in the life of Ziggy. Yes it is a 5* lp really, but better than LOW?. The other glam Bowie lps are Aladdin Sane Aladdin Sane: Remastered and "Pin-ups" Pin Ups. Pin-ups is 60's cover version in a glam style.

Hunky Dory
Hunky Dory

5.0 out of 5 stars HUNKY DORY is more than just fine., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hunky Dory (Audio CD)
Great songs. Shades of rock but this cd is heavily folk biased. A perfect companion to SPACE ODDITY cd. Space Oddity

Consequences of indecisions / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]
Consequences of indecisions / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a LP by PEKKA POHJOLA. It's Jazz Fusion in style. Very 1981., 30 Dec 2012
Firstly, I will say I am a Mike Oldfield fan. I found this LP by chance at a car boot sale for £1. I had never heard of it. Long before Google and Wikipedia could have enlightened me to Mike's discography. I had a feeling when I looked at the back cover that Mike had very little to do with the writing on this LP. Mike appears on all but the opening track (4mins 54s) (remaining approx equaling 28 mins). I can tell his playing but he does not appear too often. Sally Oldfield shows up on 2 tracks (about 6.30mins). I feel Mike had his name on it for exactly the same reason Nick Mason had his on "Fictitious Sports" Fictitious Sportsby Carla Bley (another Jazz Fusion LP) - to reach a wider audience.

Details from the back cover:

Music composed by Pekka Pohjola. Some of the LP was recored in Stockholm most, however, was recorded at Mike's then home/studio Througham Slad, Gloustershire. Recording and mixing by Paul Lindsay & Mike Oldfield. Production by Mike Oldfield & Pekka Pohjola. Copyright 1981.

Now I am no Jazzo, and this lp is very rarely played because it is too Jazz Fusion (I think that's the correct genre for it) for my taste. I tried selling once (many years ago) but luckily no buyers. It now resides with a lot of other Mike Oldfield titles.

The single sleeve cover and a plain inner sleeve protect the LP.

Remington R5150 Titanium-X Rotary Shaver
Remington R5150 Titanium-X Rotary Shaver
Offered by Netelectrix Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Shave - but it was only the first., 29 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay, so this review is about a brand new shaver, after one shave of 5 days growth. Obviously I would expect top-notch results - which I did.
What you get include in the box: 1, the shaver (including trimmer), 2, plastic cover for shaver head, 3, plastic brush - very basic, 4, power cable (2 pin).
2 items you don't get are: 1, protective all-over case/bag, 2, 2pin mains adapter.
The ergonomics of the shaver are almost standard through all manufacturers. So it looks a lot like my last one, a Philips.
The info on the front of the box is listed as: "Titanium-X, Flex & Pivot Technology. 2 Close Cut Tracks (Back cover: (with 21 low profile cutters for fast & efficient results)). Self-adjusting Pivot. Titanium Coated Blades. 3 Multi-flexing Heads. LED Fuel Gauge. Washable. Mains Rechargable".
Of these I will only explain the "Fuel Gauge", how much battery life is left; done, explained. The battery charging time is quoted at 90 minutes in the instruction book. This according to the box will last for 30 mins of usage. But you can do a quick "5 minute" charge to.
The box also states "Universal Voltage", so it will be ideal to take on those Virgin flights (no doubt just around the corner) to Jupiter and Saturn.

As a side note at the time of writing this review, have you noticed this £40 unit is available as a 2-pack item for ONLY £105... so let's all rush out and buy, err... 1 !!!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20