Profile for S. SMTH > Reviews

Content by S. SMTH

S. SMTH "Steve****" (England)

Good Morning To The Night
Good Morning To The Night
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this even though it is 28 minutes long!, 8 Aug 2012
I really like this and I have played it a few times and each time I hear something new. I do wonder how long I will have to wait for the 'extended version' to come out (as like this review it is short) with a throwback to the 70's when an album would last around 30-40 minutes but this one is only 28 minutes.

Garmin Zumo 550 Satellite Navigation System for Motorbikes
Garmin Zumo 550 Satellite Navigation System for Motorbikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit, 24 May 2011
I have had this for about 5 years and it is excellent both in the car and on the bike.
I bought a Telferizer ram mount and it is a lot neater than the enclosed kit and make sure all the bolts are tight. I replaced the finger nut with an allen screw, much harder to undo by tealeaves.
The security screw is a bit fiddly but it isn't supposed to be quick release! Don't put it on the bike keyring or you will lose it.
Keep the bike mount dry and clean the contacts and it will be problem free.
I think a lot of the 1 star reviews don't know how to use it properly!

Life: Keith Richards
Life: Keith Richards
by Keith Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars A badly written book.............., 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Life: Keith Richards (Hardcover)
I was given this book and if I had paid for it I would have been well ****ed off.

I started reading it and within a couple of pages I was getting so annoyed with about 10 sentences that started with And..... that I gave it away.
I cannot understand why a respected publisher would publish a book that breaks the rule that you don't start a sentence with a conjunctive as it is a word for joining two short sentences together.
Yes I know Shakespeare did it but we don't live in 16th Century England.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 9:56 AM BST

Anyway The Wind Blows: The Anthology
Anyway The Wind Blows: The Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars As compilations go this is one of the best., 28 Dec 2010
With regard to K BOWES you said you were disappointed with this because these are 'the shortened versions' well I can tell you that the tracks from his first LP's were all very short at around 2 minutes long and this was just how he recorded in the early 70's.
I have every disc he recorded and I was lucky enough to see him live 3 times and on stage he played the longer versions of most of his songs!
You cannot go wrong with this and you may find yourselves seeking out the rest of his excellent work.

Spun Out: Shane Warne the Unauthorised Biography of a Cricketing Genius
Spun Out: Shane Warne the Unauthorised Biography of a Cricketing Genius
by Paul Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste time reading it or money buying it., 24 Mar 2010
I was given this as a present and I would have been ****** off if I had spent money on it. I agree with the other reviews so there is little point in me saying the same.
I found it annoying to read because for an Oxford graduate the authors command of English was particularly poor and his sentence construction meant you had to re-read what you had just been reading.
I'm surprised that he didn't get it proof read before publication because I thought it is one of the golden rules that you don't start sentences with the word 'AND'
This is not once or twice either but throughout, several times in every chapter and this is the first time in 50 years of reading books I have encountered this.

Save your money and read a better constructed and easier to read book, there are a lot out there!

Performing This Week...Live At Ronnie Scott's
Performing This Week...Live At Ronnie Scott's

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album, 4 Jun 2009
If you like a bit of variety in your music you will love this as there is something for everyone. If you like Clapton you will love this as Beck is playing like he is really enjoying himself and makes for much more. Repeated playing you hear things you missed the first time and I must have played this a dozen times in the last week! Tight drums and bass make for a superb very together band and Becks guitar playing is just sublime. I saw Clapton recently and wish I hadn't wasted my money while next time Jeff Beck is touring I'll be first in the queue for a ticket.

Roll On
Roll On

5.0 out of 5 stars JJ on top form again, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Roll On (Audio CD)
I first discovered JJC in the seventies and I went to Virgin records to buy his LP and I asked for the JJC LP. "Which one?" The assistant asked me, "I can't remember the title but I do know it's just one word!" I replied. The helpful assistant laughed and said you have three to choose from. I started with the first and the following week returned for the other two.
I saw him live three times in London over the next few years and very infrequent 'tours' and what you hear on stage is virtually what is on the disc only with an extended middle 8 with most songs. Three of the best concerts I have seen!
Ever since I have been buying his offerings as soon as it's released and rarely have I been disappointed. Roll On is up there with the best from the opening track to the last.
On first listening, the first track and the title track are the most memorable while the other tracks take a bit longer to remember. This CD gets a lot of play both at home and in the car as I just want to hear it again and again and now the other tracks have grown on me as well now. There are so many different styles with that familiar Cale style that I first heard over 30 years ago now with a fresh feel and new sounds.
This is as good as anything he has produced and will not disappoint, buy it with confidence and if you get a chance to see him live then you will see one of the best performers on the road (along with BB King & Jeff Beck) and far and away much better than the current offerings from a very staid, lifeless and cold EC.