Profile for E. Gillum > Reviews

Modern Short Stories I: Bk. 1
Modern Short Stories I: Bk. 1
by Jim Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last I have found this book!, 30 Jun 2014
A very long time ago, this was published as "The Faber Book of Modern Short Stories". In that incarnation, I read all the stories during my literature studies at school. I especially liked "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", "Rain Horse", "Peaches", "Samphire" and "Her First Ball". However, my copy was lost in a house move; I looked for another for a long time, but it was out of print.
And finally, Faber have re-issued this, with a companion book, as "Modern Short Stories" One and Two.
Great stories - something to interest everyone.

Secrets According to Humphrey
Secrets According to Humphrey
by Betty G. Birney

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, as always!, 30 Jun 2014
All the "Humphrey Books" have been great reading. They're fun and enjoyable for children. Humphrey is an endearing character and the books move along at a nice pace, keeping the reader interested.
I'd recommend the whole set to any family with children up to 13 or so years old (even teens seem to enjoy Humphrey!)

VonShef 1100W Digital Filter Coffee Maker, 15 Cup Capacity with Fully Programmable Function and Re-usable Mesh Filter
Offered by Designer Habitat

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Machine for the Money, 30 Jun 2014
Our old coffee machine finally gave up the ghost, much to our disappointment. It was the second of that model that we'd bought, as the first lasted ages and was very good. However they don't make it any more.
This Shef machine is pretty good so far. Like our old machine, it's programmable, so you can set it up the night before and come down for an early start, to find hot coffee waiting. It works well and so far is a great machine. We hope it will last a decent amount of time too.
Downsides: it's very "black" and looks quite big and imposing. Our previous machine was cream and didn't stand out so much, even though it was a similar size and shape.
The instruction booklet is not very accurate. It specifically says the machine doesn't switch itself off, unless the timed program was used; however it does turn off after two hours (which we're pleased about!).
But these are minor things and overall - so far - we're very pleased.

Sylvanian Families Grey Rabbit Family
Sylvanian Families Grey Rabbit Family
Offered by Toy World- (PLEASE CHOOSE EXPRESS DELIVERY AT THE CHECKOUT FOR GUARANTEED XMAS DELIVERY)

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely set and good value, 9 Jan 2014
This was bought for a little niece, who had a dolls' house for Christmas. The set gives her a ready-made family for he dolls' house and she's delighted. I think these will get played with for hours. Great for imaginative play and to encourage her to share - there are plenty of dolls to go round!

Sylvanian Families Cycling Adventure Set
Sylvanian Families Cycling Adventure Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great present for a small niece, 9 Jan 2014
Our small niece loves Sylvanian Families toys. She was given a caravan & camping set for Christmas, by "Santa", so this was a good little extra to go with it. She's delighted - and the bike actually fits onto the back of the little caravan (motor-home I think), which she likes even more.

Warwick Traditional Durable Cast Iron 22" Black Companion Set, Black Loop
Warwick Traditional Durable Cast Iron 22" Black Companion Set, Black Loop
Offered by One Click Wonder

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set., 9 Jan 2014
This is a nice fireside set. It has all four tools - poker, tongs, brush & small shovel, which are well made. I would prefer that their screw-together fittings were a bit more solid, as they keep working themselves loose from their handles, but otherwise they're very nice. The whole thing looks very attractive, sitting near the fire. We're very pleased with it and think it was good value for money.

Silverline 868704 Coal Shovel 170mm
Silverline 868704 Coal Shovel 170mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little shovel, 9 Jan 2014
Bought to help keep our new fireplace clean & tidy. Useful to move ash, coals etc, or to act as a dustpan when clearing out the grate. Not too heavy, but sturdy enough to make me feel it will last a good long time. Very nice.

3 x Soft warm white 2700k Golf ball type SES E14 Screw fitting 7w mini Low energy saving light bulbs. 240v 50Hz A Rated
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shape for our lights, good bulbs., 9 Jan 2014
We have light fittings that need small bulbs, but we wanted low energy bulbs. These are good, because they are compact in shape, so they don't stick out of the top of the shades on the light fittings. They give a good light and I like the "warm white" better than the slightly orangey light we got from some previous bulbs. They are bright, but not too bright! Good bulbs, good value.

x5 28w Candle 28w E14 SES Dimmable Halogen Energy Saver 28w = 40w Light Bulbs 220-240v
Offered by ENERGY SAVING DEALS

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Dimmable and give a good light, 9 Jan 2014
We had lights with a dimmer switch before and wondered why the low-energy bulbs we used kept failing, when they were supposed to last a lot longer. When we had a new light fitting, the electrician explained that we needed Dimmable bulbs. These perform much better than the "normal" low energy bulbs and give a good light also. I'd have liked the option of a frosted finish on the bulbs, as the fitting faces downwards and the bulbs can be a little bit dazzling, but as we can turn the dimmer down, it's not a big problem. Very pleased with these. Well worth the money (and much cheaper than in the shops!)

Exploring the Moon (Space Guides)
Exploring the Moon (Space Guides)
by Peter Grego

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, interesting, good pictures, 9 Jan 2014
Bought as a companion to the "Discovering the Solar System" Space Guide in the same edition. It was bought for a small niece (aged 5), who loves all things Space. It's a bit grown-up for her just now, but she will enjoy having it read to her and looking at the great pictures. When she's a bit bigger, I'm sure she will love reading it to herself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5