Profile for PurplePetals > Reviews

Gray Mountain
Gray Mountain
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars Not As Gray As It Sounds, 11 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Gray Mountain (Paperback)
I found previous reviews on Gray Mountain a little disturbing and for the life of me think perhaps people have read a different book compared to one I did! I am knew to John Grisham books, having only read so far ‘A Time to Kill’ and ‘Sycamore Row’ but I couldn’t resist trying this new novel…

It tells the story of Samantha Kofer a young New York lawyer who is laid off from her high paid job in the city. In order to keep her health benefits with the company she worked for she is offered the chance to take a yearlong job unpaid doing a kind of voluntary work for legal aid lawyers. She ends up in Brady, Virginia in the heart of Appalachia. She takes a job under the wings of Mattie Wyatt, lifelong Brady resident and who is head of the town’s legal aid clinic.

The story focuses on several topics including poverty, sickness, death and family values, the main topic being coal mining and the damage is causes when it is done illegally i.e. The environmentally damage posed by strip-mining for coal and how big coal companies ‘just don’t care.’

The book immediately reminded me of Erin Brockovich in fact I felt it was very similar in the story, whereas several people in the book fear for their life because they are treading in things they should not be. Overall, for me I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and could not put it down.

Some people say the ending was disappointing, but I feel it suited the book very well. Does Samantha go back to New York or remain in Virginia? Well you shall have to read the book to find out. I only hope Mr Grisham does a sequel!

Private Collection 1979-1988
Private Collection 1979-1988
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Invokes Happy Memories, 30 July 2015
Saw this rather cheap on Amazon and decided to buy it. Reason? Well I remember my mother having the LP version in the 80's and it constantly being on when we were in the house together. The CD does not disappoint, in invokes all those happy memories I have of listening to Cliff and seeing him live with my mum in my childhood. Time now to go do some ironing and have another listen!

The Roxbox!: A Collection Of Roxette's Greatest Songs
The Roxbox!: A Collection Of Roxette's Greatest Songs
Offered by Acfun Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Previously a box like this was released in 2006 and whilst the new ..., 28 July 2015
It is 2015 and to celebrate 30 years of Roxette (actually the 30th anniversary is in 1986) we have a new Roxbox! Previously a box like this was released in 2006 and whilst the new one is similar, it is smaller and has additional songs that have been released and reworked since 2006. I especially like this new design since it is easier to store on a shelf. This is a great price on Amazon, considering the cost of the same box at recent concerts and I highly recommend it for any fan or someone who just remembers Roxette and would like a trip down memory line. Now if only they would re-release old concert material on DVD or BluRay!

The Look (2015 Remake)
The Look (2015 Remake)

3.0 out of 5 stars Roxette Reworks The Look, 17 July 2015
So here, we have another version of The Look by Roxette, only it is The Look 2015 a newly recorded version especially for a Swedish clothing store called KappAhl, the song is going to be used in there autumn / winter 2015 promotions.

So as a huge fan of Roxette I have heard many different versions of this song, the one that specially stands out to me was The Look 95 some 20 years ago.

This version is a very power pop rock song made with fresh blood in the form of Addeboy vs. Cliff (to be honest this means nothing to me). It is not a remix of an old version, it is a brand new recording recently recorded in Stockholm.

Personally, it is too dance like for me, but I guess things move on and it is 2015 so perhaps this is what people like. For me I will stick to the original version.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Color Purple
The Color Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic book everyone should read. This is the ..., 17 May 2015
This review is from: The Color Purple (Kindle Edition)
A classic book everyone should read. This is the first time I have read the book having seen the film many times first time during an English class in 1989!

Home from Home: The lives and loves of five nurses in the 1960s
Home from Home: The lives and loves of five nurses in the 1960s

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 May 2015
Loved reading this, it made me imagine my godmother’s training at our local hospital. I truly heartfelt read.

Six Little Miracles: The Heartwarming True Story of Raising the World's First Sextuplet Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars there parents must be so proud of how they are grow into such beautiful young women, 17 May 2015
I can clearly remember when The Walton’s were born, I was six years old and being a girl I was always constantly playing with my dolls proudly playing mums and dad’s with friends in the street, that and hoping my Barbie’s would produce babies. I remember my mum showing me the news and the papers and I remember how magically it must have been to be a mum to six little girls. As soon as I saw this book on Amazon, I had to buy it, and once it arrived, I could barely put it down until I had finished reading it. Janet’s book shares the story of her growing up, meeting and marrying Graham, going through fertility treatment and finally becoming a mum to sextuplets. I can clearly recall watching the TV programmes over the years, up until the one about their 30th birthday. An incredible read, which has me close to tears at times, and in bouts of laughter at other times, especially when it came to feeding routines and oh that ladder incident, Janet and Grahams hearts much have stopped… Those girls are extra special and I am sure they realise that, there parents must be so proud of how they are grow into such beautiful young women.

Sweden (Culture Shock!)
Sweden (Culture Shock!)
by Svensson Charlotte Rosen

5.0 out of 5 stars I recently decided to download it for my Kindle and the book still does not disappoint. It has seen some updates since published, 15 May 2015
I remember buying a copy of this book in 1996 and thinking how engaging it was to learn about living and moving to Sweden, a dream that I have still yet to fulfil! I recently decided to download it for my Kindle and the book still does not disappoint. It has seen some updates since published originally, but I feel it is still in need of some more updating. For instance when the author talks about tuning in to a short wave radio to listen to Swedish broadcasts, perhaps it is a good idea to mention how much the internet has evolved and just how much easier it is to access online Swedish radio stations, plus we can of course now watch Swedish TV online. The same can be send when referencing to how easy it is to learn the Swedish language. 20 years ago you were restricted to the odd language book but now we have online language teachers and of course good old aps for our mobile phones. I was also a little dismayed that there still remains in the book a small amount of writing on books available in English, when of course now the market is dominated with Swedish authors whose books have been translated into English, a great way to get a feel for Swedish life. All in all a good book with some great knowledge about either learning about Sweden life or preparing to perhaps, move there. I feel it would be great if the book could undergo a complete revamp for the 21st Century. Still despite it being a little out of date I still enjoyed reading it again after all these years, and yes my ultimate goal is one day to up and move to the West Coast of Sweden!

Coffee and Vodka
Coffee and Vodka
by Helena Halme

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisterly Love and Secrets, 13 May 2015
This review is from: Coffee and Vodka (Paperback)
This has been on my kindle for sometime and I have finally read it! It was an exceptional pleasant read with the story focussing on Eeva and Anji two sisters who are uprooted by there parents when they move them from Finland to Sweden. It’s set in 1974 and the book goes between that year and 2004 when Eeva travels back to Finland for her Grandmother’s funeral. Something has happened between the family move to Stockholm in 1974 and the present day, but it is not until almost at the end of the story you find out (and I won’t spoilt it for other readers) Helena Halme’s book Coffee and Vodka is a remarkable read and once I started I couldn’t put it down. The book focuses on families, relationships and cultural changes. I look forward to reading some more of Helena’s books.

Galaxy A5 2014 Case - Ringke FUSION Galaxy A5 Case [Free HD Film/Dust Cap&Drop Protection][SMOKE BLACK] Shock Absorption Bumper Premium Hard Case for Samsung Galaxy A5 1st Gen. (Not for Galaxy A5 2nd Gen. 2016)
Offered by Ringke Official UK Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fit, but I prefer a splash of colour ..., 13 Mar. 2015
Good fit, but I prefer a splash of colour in a phone case. This is ideal if you are looking for something plain just to prevent your phone getting damage.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14