Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "mike_p_" (UK)

XCSOURCE® Black Wireless Qi Power Charger Pad + DC 5V Adapter For Nokia Lumia 920 , Lumia 820 and Google Nexus 4 Nexus 5 Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 S4 i9500 Note II N7100 Note3 N9000 N9005 HTC 8X , Droid DNA, LG DIL, LTE2 BC216K
Offered by XCSOURCE

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Nexus 7 (2013 version), 10 Jan 2014
Went for this unit as didn't want my son's Nexus 7 slipping off a smaller one too easily. It charges slower than the direct charging unit which I was expecting so am not disappointed. Big plus point is that it's a lot less fiddly especially for kids. With the case on the tablet it will still charge but getting the correct position becomes more difficult - without the case getting the location right is easily done within a second or 2. However, the wireless unit does make a short beep to let you know when you've got it docked correctly which is just the job. Just ordered another one for my daughter's Nexus 7.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter - Video DisplayPort / HDMI - mini-DisplayPort (M) - 19 pin HDMI (F)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with Surface Pro and HDMI monitor, 17 Jun 2013
Bought this to use for my Surface Pro that has a mini DisplayPort as the only supported means of connecting to an external monitor. I'm not a big fan of the DisplayPort but I cannot think of a better solution than using this adapter and I'm pleased with the build quality of the product. The output to the LED monitor is great and I haven't noticed any picture quality issues. Would recommend for fellow Surface owners at least.

Lorus Gents Digital Watch R2335EX9
Lorus Gents Digital Watch R2335EX9
Offered by Gold Bar Watches

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy watch to live with but you can't stop the beeping sound on every key press, 17 Jun 2013
Chose this watch because of the simple and clean design and the sub £20 price. The watch fits really well on my wrist and I really like the way the strap merges seamlessly into the lines of the curved screen (I don't think you can see that from the pictures). The buttons are tucked out of the way which makes it a little more effort to locate them but I'm not going to be using this watch to do much. The only gripe worth mentioning is that the beeping sound that occurs on every single key press cannot be turned off. I contacted Seiko over the weekend to ask whether it could be disabled and they responded first thing Monday morning to confirm that it is not a feature.

Beginning XML with C# 2008: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in .NET)
by Bipin Joshi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage and structure, but code samples irritate, 5 April 2010
Needed a refresher on the XML manipulation classes in .NET framework. From this perspective the coverage is wide enough. Each area is covered using a code sample followed by an explanation of what the code does. The explanations are fairly regimented in style which makes for consistency (although it feels like a machine has processed each line and spat out a translation to a type of pseudo-code).

However, the code samples do not use any conventions for naming of controls and global/local variables. This makes the code samples very dependent on the explanations, which even then is not enough in my view. I don't like this and sometimes the only way to get the full picture is to download the code.

e.g. I don't find button1 or label6 very intuitive to follow. It might be perceived as a small point but this one runs through the entire book. When you look inside the book on amazon you cannot see an example of this, but go to the apress site, search on xml and do a google preview to see what I mean.

To compensate I've ended up coding all the examples myself and substituted in better names and some extra comments. "Practice makes perfect" as the saying goes, and this extra activity has boosted my understanding, but surely a book like this should be independent of having to code to understand. I think the book would be a 4 or 5 star book if this aspect was covered better.

GEAR4 BluPhones Bluetooth Stereo A2DP Wireless Handsfree Headphones PG118
GEAR4 BluPhones Bluetooth Stereo A2DP Wireless Handsfree Headphones PG118

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for work, OK for gym., 17 Jan 2008
Pairing with a Sony Ericsson K800 worked well first time. Music is decent enough quality for me - nothing too different from what I have been used to with £15-20 wired in-ear Sony's and an original iPod shuffle. They look fine on and are portable enough, although some sort of lightweight case (e.g. as per sunglasses) might have helped transport them for protection against stressing the neck-band.

Used at work and they are just the job. They are very comfortable and don't radiate the sound too much so that others in my open plan office are never disturbed. I rate them a 5 if this is what you want them for.

The flip-side is that they are not loud enough for gym use if they have loud music coming from the gym's stereo system. Cross-training, rowing and running can be done without too much fiddling for best fit. Although the neck-band keeps them falling off your head no matter what, I had hoped for a firmer more snug fit for these conditions to help keep interference from external noise to a minimum. I rate them a 3 if this is what you want them for.

Look after the USB charger as you cannot buy them separately according to Gear4 themselves.

MCAD/MCSD Training Guide 70-315: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C#.NET and Visual Studio.NET
by Amit Kalani

5.0 out of 5 stars I got 1000%... oh yeah yeah yeah, 8 July 2005
If you want to pass the exam (yes sir, me sir) then working through the examples in this book are the way to go. The chapter-ending questions are good for reinforcement but having done the Measure Up tests I would recommend them if you have the inclination. However, if you're starting with ASP.NET development then this book is as good as any. Onion's book is an excellent compliment for the detail and on page processing & security. Kalani's book here will get you up and running - just skim the first chapter as it digs a little deep on events for us ASP converts. I got this book 2 years ago when I first started ASP.NET and have since used it directly for learning about validation controls, data access, user controls, deployment and use of the cache. It's very clear, easy on the eye, and I keep the pdf version of the book (which is on the CD) with me at all times. Use of English might be an issue if you're into that sort of thing but to be honest the re-reading of certain places made me learn more. Money well spent (unless you snaffled it from your last place of work).

Learning C#
Learning C#
by Jesse Liberty

5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance between prose and code, 5 Sep 2003
This review is from: Learning C# (Paperback)
I bought this book to supplement my future developments in ASP.net having programmed for the web using ASP/VbScript for the last 2 years (I suppose others may be migrating this way too). Although I had studied a bit of java and some OO concepts in the past, I still consider myself a relative novice so opted for this book over 'Programming C#' by the same author.
The context for the programming constructs and concepts are explained really well in introductory sections of each chapter. The range of examples which follow are consistent in structure throughout the book and reinforced with succinct, straightforward analysis. The code examples are only as long as they need to be. Initial examples are used as templates to take you onto the higher ground in each chapter which I found rewarding. (The longer examples on delegates did take some reading through but you do get there in the end.) To my mind the quiz sections in other books look gimmicky when you consider how effective this step-wise approach to understanding is.
The book is well edited (I found 1 listing error) and there are good pointers to previous and future chapters amongst the discussion to keep you well oriented throughout.
To admit to enjoying a book just on programming is a bit weird... but I can't really fault this one.

DHTML and CSS for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
DHTML and CSS for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Jason Cranford Teague

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable with clear examples, 24 April 2003
I bought this book because I wanted to learn CSS from the ground-up. I had a vague idea about stylesheets but the book takes you through a broad range of the techniques you can use right from the beginning. The pros and cons of the different techniques are explained well and the examples used help put it all in context. I found myself revisiting examples from day to day as I was starting out with my own CSS. I found this the best approach, especially for the positional CSS, although some of the book is readable without trying out the code.
I really liked the visual style of the book as it's easy on the eye (it has some attributes of an informative magazine but with a book-like consistency). For example, some of the nuances of CSS are not embedded in a stack of text, but are brought to the reader's attention in smaller blocks.
The DHTML section was really just a bonus for me, but I've used some of the simple animation scripts to good effect. The other useful stuff includes how you can change the style of a screen element through a user interaction which I've also used.
Finally, there's a good support web site, which has working examples and code & at the time of writing was still up and running. Just for the CSS section I rate this 4/5.