Profile for S. Hurford > Reviews

Content by S. Hurford

S. Hurford "WorkingClassHero" (The Shire)

Page: 1 | 2
Saving Private Ryan - 2 Disc Special Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free]
Saving Private Ryan - 2 Disc Special Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Private Ryan, 14 Mar. 2010
My copy arrived today (24th April) and I've just watched it.

I can honestly say it's quite the experience on BluRay and a definite improvement from the DVD. Never one to short change us, this two disc set also contains special features from BOTH DVD releases.

The picture itself can be a little soft at times, but only very infrequently. On the whole it's a very well presented picture. Plenty of detail, some little bits and pieces I'd only noticed upon watching this version, and this is my favourite film. The colours have been altered ever so slightly and are much richer, but I think that's largely because there's much more resolution with HD.

The DTS-HD soundtrack is phenomenal. I've heard this film in standard NICAM on VHS, Dolby 5.1 on the original DVD release and in DTS on the 60th Anniversary 2-disc re-release. The HD soundtrack presented on this feature blows all these out the water and it's almost formidable in it's power. It's aggressive, but never overbearing. Dialogue is clear and consistent throughout and the rear channels get a thorough working over.

If you've got any precious trinkets on mantlepieces or shelves I'd glue them down, as the LFE on this will shake, rattle and roll the plaster of the walls with enough volume. If you have neighbours, and you like them, best forewarn before watching. If you don't like your neighbours, or are detached (like me) crank this up and get in the war.

In summary, an excellent addition to the collection and worth every penny. If I could give it ten stars I would, as it's also my favourite film ever!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 3:21 PM BST

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 14 Mar. 2010
Not only are Warners/New Line Cinema trying to wring every penny of cash from us, I've also read some reviews of the Blu Rays and each one has given the picture quality on these an absolute kicking. In short, we're being ripped off.
Keep the DVD Extended Editions and save your money until a decent boxset comes out.

The Circle (Deluxe)
The Circle (Deluxe)
Offered by Japan-Select

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rock we were promised?, 31 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Circle (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
On first listen I have to agree with N.J. Hendersons review. This is by far the worst album they've produced since their spectacular return to the spotlight just over 9 years ago. How they can justify the prices their charging for tour tickets on the strength of this album, I'll never know - there are people on here crowing about how it's comparable to Keep The Faith or the megahit album Slippery When Wet. People making these comparions need to dig into their record collection and think again.

Richie Sambora announced this album was a return to rock and roll and rocks hard. It does, but only occasionally. There are probably 4 or 5 songs on here that are up-tempo and they display such musical similarities to previous tracks by U2 or Snow Patrol that it's hard NOT to like them. The best (and most Bon Jovi-alike) tracks are the opening two, Born to Follow and When We Were Beautiful.

However, a second listen does tend to open the album up a little more. In fact for optimum enjoyment I strongly recommend you remove the god-awful 7th track, Live Before You Die. This deeply saccharine track undoes all the work gone before it and actually drags down the remainder of the album. Load on the other 11 tracks, program your CD player, do whatever it takes to get rid of this song and I guarantee the album will suddenly be a lot better!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2009 1:42 PM GMT

Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom & Last Crusade) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Paramount Pictures..., 15 May 2008
...must be having a laugh!
Temple of Doom is still the rubbish cut version!
This film was originally attacked by the BBFC waaaaaay back in 1984 and trimmed by 66 secs for excessive violence.
As it is now 24 years down the line one would assume this film would get a 12 certificate. After all, that's why the Motion Picture Association of America created the PG-13 rating in the wake of Temple, as barely got it's PG cert over there. In the US, the film is uncut and STILL rated PG. Whatever has happened we consumers have been left high and dry again!
It appears either Paramount have made a mistake, or are trying to pull a fast one and get completists like myself to purchase this film in GOOD faith based on the extended run time. I for one am very disappointed and intend to take this as far as I can to get some answers from Paramount Home Entertainment UK Ltd.

That said, the films themselves are cracking. But in agreement with the post below this is another example of double dipping - just like the farce with the 3 and 4 disc Star Wars sets.
And let's not forget, one man is responsible for both...
I say no more, except I'm making it up as I go and will be in the queue for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Special Edition [DVD]
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Special Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Paramount Pictures..., 15 May 2008
...must be having a laugh! The runtime on the actual case of this release lists this film at 114 minutes, the 2003 case lists it at 112 minutes. Closer inspection of the films themselves by placing the discs in the player show they run for EXACTLY the same amount of time. If you are looking for the uncut version of this film, DO NOT be fooled by the listed run time of this DVD. It does NOT clock in at 118 mins.

That said, despite the missing bits, it's still a massively enjoyable romp. Not the best of the three, but still quality entertainment and perfect for watching while having a few beers with the lads.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2011 2:27 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2