Profile for M. E. Brooks > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Premier Housewares Ecocook Frying Pan 24 cm - Red
Premier Housewares Ecocook Frying Pan 24 cm - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan (if you have the genuine article!), 6 Mar 2014
I had great difficulty tracking down one of these Ecocook pans. The first purchase from an Amazon trader turned out to be a 'Your kitchen hero' pan and was returned. The second purchase from another trader turned out to be an unbranded '24cm Frying pan' (identical to the 'Your kitchen hero' pan) and was returned. After extensive correspondence with Premier Housewares, I managed to track down a genuine Ecocook pan and it is completely different to the copies I received previously. It is much more solidly built. It has a stainless steel base, adding weight and rigidity and making it suitable for use on induction hobs (as stated on the label, but surprisingly not mentioned in the Amazon product details). The copy pan is lighter as it is all-aluminium. The handle is hard and doesn't have the soft rubbery feel of the copies but I would guess is much more heatproof. The colour is also a deeper red than the copies. It's a quality pan!
I have only used it once so far but it passed the 'fried egg with no oil' test with no sticking at all.
If you receive or have received a pan that doesn't fit the description here, it's not a Premier Housewares Ecocook pan but a Chinese copy. This may explain some of the poor reviews, especially the recent ones, as I believe there are few genuine pans in stock at the moment. Buyer beware!
Comment Comment | Permalink

ForeFront Cases® New Google Nexus 7 FHD Leather Case Cover / Stand For Google Nexus 7 FHD Tablet (7-Inch, 16GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function - BLACK
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 13 Sep 2013
The case was delivered quickly and has just been fitted to my wife's Nexus 7 (2013 model). It looks very smart, looking more expensive than its cost, and fits very well, with all the cutouts in the right place. The Nexus is held tightly within the 4 corner clips. The wake/sleep function works OK and the front flap is held in place with small magnets when closed, but not very tightly. The flap folds back easily to make a small triangle to lift the rear edge of the tablet to make typing easier but it won't support the tablet for viewing in landscape mode. To support the tablet for viewing, one edge has to be unclipped from the 2 corners and the rear of the case bent in the middle so the free tablet edge can be located in the slots in the front flap. I wouldn't be keen on doing this regularly as, firstly, the clips are tight and require quite a lot of effort to unclip them and, secondly, there may be a danger of the clips becoming loose after a while. As an alternative, my wife is using it with an inexpensive Teknet folding stand, as I do with my iPad, which gives a much more secure base for viewing/typing in both portrait and landscape modes and the angle can be varied easily.
The only slight disappointment is that the front flap seems slightly too tight at the hinge side, meaning it doesn't quite sit flat on the screen when closed, bowing up slightly on the left. As no-one else has mentioned this, it could be that it is only a problem with the case I bought or maybe the fabric stretches a little after some use and it then sits flat OK. I thought the plus points outweighed this small minus one and left it as a 5 star review.

Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006
Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Panasonic CGR-S006

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance but possible quality control issues, 16 Aug 2013
I bought one of these in early July for my Panasonic FZ18 camera and was delighted with it. It charged OK in the Panasonic charger and fitted the camera fine with no problems. It has now been in my camera for several weeks without being recharged and it has taken a good number of pictures. The charge level icon in the viewfinder still shows a 3-bar full charge.

Being so pleased with the performance and great value for money, I bought another one. However, the second one had the problem mentioned by others ie. a tight fit in the battery compartment, although it fitted the charger OK. After pushing it in, I had to tap the camera against a hard surface to dislodge the battery to remove it. Not being keen on doing this regularly, I thought, before returning it, I would take a closer look at the new battery versus the previous one and the 2 Panasonic batteries I already had (but which were no longer holding a charge for extended periods). Firstly, I noticed the labels on the 2 Duracell batteries were different, indicating possibly 2 suppliers. The first one, which was OK, had a smaller 'CE' mark near the bottom centre of the battery whereas the second, problematic, one had a larger 'CE' mark on the right hand side of the label. Close examination showed the problem was with the 4 gaps in the body moulding where the contacts are located. On the 2nd battery, these were slightly too narrow, pinching the 3 metal contacts inside the battery compartment when pushed in. I resolved the problem on my battery by running a small electrical screwdriver up and down the slots in the moulding to ease them apart slightly. Afterwards, the battery fitted fine and dropped out easily as soon as the spring battery locking tab was pushed sideways.

For performance so far (after 6 weeks experience) and value for money, these are 5+ star batteries. However, as Duracell appear to have quality control issues with them with what appears to be one supplier not having an accurate mould for the body, I have knocked the rating back to 4 stars. As the problem was easily and quickly rectified (well, on my battery at least), I felt a lower rating wasn't justified.

10m Quality 2 x 2.5mm² Loud Speaker Cable - Multi-Strand 432 (2x 216 Strand) by electrosmart® - Outside Dimensions of Cable: 7.5mm x 3.6mm - 14 AWG - 25A Max - Ideal for Car Audio & Home HiFi
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, superb value for money!, 9 July 2013
I was originally going to extend the existing speaker cables to suit my new hifi and speakers but, after buying 2m of 42-strand cable on eBay for 99p/metre and finding it was only a short step up from bell wire (it looked much thicker in the picture!), I decided to scrap all the cables and start again with this 216-strand cable. On arrival, I was impressed at how thick it was.
Initially, I was concerned about one review saying it consisted of copper-plated steel. In my many years of experience with electrical appliances, I have never come across copper-plated steel cable being used for wiring, so I treated this review as being somewhat dubious. I am not sure how the reviewer came to this conclusion but I have stripped the insulation from a small part of the cable and applied a strong magnet. The cores are not in the slightest bit magnetic. The only steel that is non-magnetic is austenitic stainless steel. It would be difficult to extrude this down to the very fine core size in this cable and would probably be more expensive than the copper it was attempting to replace, hence I think we can dismiss the claim that the cable has a steel core. This is definitely copper cable. It is not claimed to be oxygen-free but, personally, I doubt if the average hifi owner would be able to tell the difference between similar cables with one OFC and the other not. I also have my doubts about the cable making a real, noticeable improvement in the reproduction to someone with average ears, unless possibly used to replace very thin bell wire. However, as I am using this cable for a new hifi setup (Denon DF109DABC + Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers with Yamaha subwoofer), I won't have a new versus old cable comparison to check for myself, although my existing cables are significantly better than bell wire, so the difference would be less noticeable.
This cable is well made, with one core having a blue stripe for polarity identification, and I expect good results with it when I install the new hifi at the weekend. At less than £1/metre (same price as some 42-strand cables sold elsewhere), it's a steal! Only problem is I can't give it 6 stars!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2013 5:44 PM GMT

Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60mm Magnifying Glass
Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60mm Magnifying Glass

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat gadget, great price., 22 Feb 2013
I bought mine when it was on offer recently for well under £3, delivered. At that price I wasn't expecting much but was surprised when it arrived to find it is a reasonably well-made tool with a host of uses. As the cast iron base is painted, it tends to slide around on a table, so I stuck 4 self-adhesive silicone door buffers underneath and it now sits firmly with no tendency to slip.
I suppose at less than £5 it's good value. At £2.65 it was a steal! Definitely recommended.

Samrick Transparent Screen Protector/Film/Foil and Microfibre Cloth for Apple iPad 2/3/4 and New iPad (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super product, super supplier., 22 Feb 2013
I had problems with the first pack of these protectors with dust under the film causing a few small bubbles. Over most of the protector, where there were no bubbles, the results were great - a crystal clear film that worked well with a stylus pen and a hugely improved feel to the surface when swiping the screen with fingers. I then discovered that the dust had come from the microfibre cloths supplied with the protectors. When I wrote to Samrick to point this out, they promptly sent a repacement pack.
Overall, a good value, excellent product from a supplier with great customer sevice.

Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, Toshiba, Acer, Nook and Other Tablets
Offered by BuyOnline Cart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 17 Feb 2013
An excellently designed product. Folds neatly when not in use. Holds an iPad securely and stably, even with its cover in place.Offered at around £5, it's great value for money. Buy one!

Andrew James 2000W Stainless Steel Panini Sandwich Press - Also Can Be Used As A Griddle / Grill
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars A great panini press but ....., 17 Feb 2013
Sorry to break the run of 5 star reviews but I've now used mine for making toasted sandwiches and also grilling a steak. As a toasted sandwich maker (when did toasties try to go up-market and call themselves "paninis"?), it's definitely a 5 star machine - quick to heat, even toasting with minimal burning around the edge and easy to clean. However, when grilling meat, it again does an excellent job of nice even cooking of the steak but when it comes to cleaning afterwards, oh dear ....... The fat running off the steak accumulates in the slots in the plates, rather than running down to the hole where the drip tray is and solidifies into a greasy mess mixed with the bits of charred meat when the unit cools down. This takes loads of kitchen roll and damp cloths to scrape out of each slot to get it clean again. The problem is that the plates are not detachable, If they were, they could be soaked in soapy water or put in the dishwasher to clean and it would be an all-round 5 star machine.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2014 1:48 PM GMT

massG® TV Wall Mount Bracket Arm suitable for 14" to 24" TV's
massG® TV Wall Mount Bracket Arm suitable for 14" to 24" TV's
Offered by Mass Global™

4.0 out of 5 stars TV Wall Mount, 18 May 2012
Although I was concerned about 1 or 2 of the poor reviews for this product, I decided to order one to mount a 19" LCD TV on the wall in a bedroom. It arived very quickly and I was pleased when I opened the box and inspected it. The bracket was well designed, solidly made and well finished. Although the screws and wall plugs supplied with it were a little small (not unusual - sometimes you don't get any at all), the pack also contained 4 metal expanding bolts to mount it, which would give a very secure mounting in a hard wall. However, as I was attaching it to a breeze-block wall, I used my own Rawlplug plugs and 1½" x 10 screws fitted with black screw covers to give a neat finish.
The reasons for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 were (a) as mentioned by someone else, the supplied pressed steel spanner didn't fit the adjusting nuts and I had to use my own 13 mm spanner and (b) the bolt securing the front swivel plate of the bracket was 1 - 2 mm too long and I had to put a washer under the head of the bolt so it didn't push into the back of the TV. Once both rotating joints had been adjusted, it gave an excellent mount for the TV, with no drooping. The ability to remove the TV from the backplate without needing to unscrew it from the wall was a great feature.
If you are a competent DIYer and have the necessary tools/screws etc. to adapt it for your own application if necessary, this is an excellent wall mount and outstanding value for money.

Epson Original T0805  Claria Light Cyan Ink Cartridge
Epson Original T0805 Claria Light Cyan Ink Cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine retail package, 28 Jun 2011
Regarding the T0805, it's an Epson ink cartridge. What more is there to say? Excellent, consistent results but not particularly cheap. However, be wary of sellers supplying cartridges in "sealed packs" or "without the outer packaging to save on postage costs". These usually supply just the cartridge without the Epson box. However, the "use by" date is printed on the outer box, not on the cartridge, so you don't know how much shelf-life is left. Amazon itself and Choice Supplies (who supplied the T0805 I bought this time) supply cartridges in full retail packs with free postage and competitive prices. For any others, check before buying on what exactly they are supplying. Epson have now reduced the size of the retail pack (and it is transparent underneath). Question why a supplier would now want to remove the smaller outer packaging.

Page: 1 | 2