Profile for Crazyhorse > Reviews

Crazyhorse (Birmingham, UK)

Easy Star All Stars - Radiodred: Tribute to OK Computer
Easy Star All Stars - Radiodred: Tribute to OK Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail To The Dread!, 5 Sept. 2006
First of all I have to say I love Dub Side Of The Moon by the Easy Star All-Stars! I stumbled upon it by accident and, before hearing it, was ready to dismiss it as a bit of a novelty record. Now, given the choice between Dub Side Of The Moon and the original Pink Floyd version I would go with the Easy Star All-Stars everytime! I even saw them perform the whole album last year in one of the best gigs I've been to in years!

However, I felt sure it would be a one-off though. How could they possibly top it? What would they cover next? There was a massive sense of anticipation on discovering that they were to cover Radiohead's OK Computer but I was half-expecting the idea to wear thin a second time round!

How wrong could I have been! Brilliant arrangements and performances - Buford O'Sullivan on trombone in particular! This is must-have and not just for Radiohead and/ or reggae fans! Make sure you buy both albums and then check them out next time they tour!

Neil Young: Greendale [DVD] [2004]
Neil Young: Greendale [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Neil Young
Offered by MUSIC-4-THE-MASSES

5.0 out of 5 stars Shop with a conscience and save, 2 Jan. 2005
I spent a captivating hour watching this and was rewarded by a second viewing. The film makes great sense of the soundtrack which was released two summers ago. Its a story about a family, the Greens, and their fights against the establishment.... maybe you will see the devil in a new light?

Greatest Hits [Cd Only]
Greatest Hits [Cd Only]

5.0 out of 5 stars The God-like Genius of Neil Young, 11 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits [Cd Only] (Audio CD)
What are "Greatest Hits" albums for? Partly a cynical music biz ploy to make people part with their well-earned cash in the run-up to Xmas? Undoubtedly - but they can also be used as a means of introducing new listeners to one of the most important rock musicians of the last 40 years
Who are "Greatest Hits" albums for? Not the die-hard and loyal fan that has bought every album, video, DVD or been to every gig on every tour in living memory! In this case, it is for the occasional Neil Young fans or, perhaps more importantly, the next generation of Neil Young fans.
I can remember when I first got into Neil Young when I heard him play Rockin' In The Free World at the Mandela tribute at Wembley. From then on I was blown away. By that time he already had a huge back catalogue of albums and as such I almost had a new Neil Young album to listen to every month. It was like discovering a goldmine!
Since then I have gone on to buy every Neil Young album on CD, the good and the bad and I still think the man is a genius! So how can I possibly begrudge the man a "Greatest Hits" album? Some artists repackage and re-release a Best Of every 3 or 4 years - Neil Young's last compilation was in 1976!
Neil Young fans will all have their own opinions about what should or shouldn't be on an album like this, but that shouldn't stop people from acknowledging that these particular 16 songs are undoubtedly some of the finest examples of Neil Young at his very best and as such this compilation is worthy of nothing less than the full 5 star rating.
Will I buy this album? I don't think I need to and its probably not intended for fans like me anyway, but I would certainly recommend it to a friend or buy it as a gift for a relative (such as a musically-uneducated brother-in-law) as a means of introducing them to the godlike genius of Neil Young.