Profile for Michael John Letton > Reviews

Content by Michael John L...

Michael John Letton "michaelletton" (u k)

Page: 1 | 2
Prestigio PMP7280C_Duo 8-inch Ultra Duo MultiPad 2 Tablet (ARM 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 8GB Memory, Android 4.1)
Offered by Luzern
Price: 129.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tablet has convinced me, 28 Nov 2013
My Dell Studio has stopped driving the screen, due to overheating it's motherboard. So the budget is up to 200 to repair or replace...what do I do? Never took tablets seriously, but I do now.
No discs, no cables, no flaps, just turn on and it does the lot. Bye Bye laptop. [to be fair, I'll use a desktop in-house]
I can plot a hike/drive, upload it with full height, distance and time-plots PLUS movies and stills, to friends; listen to FM radio, record to sd card and play in my other portable radio; read the paper and books - ideal while travelling; I like the Google environment [not Facebook = G+1!]; use office suite and cloud print; telephone and email;
It has an aluminium case, and I bought a ruggedised Pelicase to carry in the field.
I am seriously impressed, amazed at this price.

Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Genuine Integral Card Reader SDHC SDXC
Offered by emartbuyuk
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars system storage, 26 Oct 2013
Bought two, to set up new audio file-system, used with SD and micro SD cards to go in new tablet from Maplin, and Trevi radio [see review]. IT WORKS... it's incredibly small, and I'm finally able to record replay and schedule lectures, recitals, on multi-devices.

Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman: Adventures of a Curious Character as Told to Ralph Leighton
by Ralph Leighton
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd format , but enjoyable, 26 Oct 2013
Set of reminiscences really, but look who's talking! Tried to imagine the context of this man's life, but it's so far out of my league that I can only dream. I really did enjoy the sense of history told in a personal, conversational way.

SanDisk 3A114805 Ultra 16 GB SDHC UHS-I Class 10 Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)
Price: 7.53

5.0 out of 5 stars its sandisc, 26 Oct 2013
what else to say? San disc also do "clip " recorder.
All good - for my camera, my PC, my tablet [micro-SD]

22 slots case pouch holder for memory card SD card
22 slots case pouch holder for memory card SD card
Offered by Mestall (Ship from HongKong)
Price: 1.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Library case, 26 Oct 2013
Secure and compact, it forms library of audio/video downloads.. Looked for an A4 or A5 folder [no success] to store card with notes, but this works as storage

Trevi MRA784USB Portable Radio with Built in MP3 Player (Lime Green)
Trevi MRA784USB Portable Radio with Built in MP3 Player (Lime Green)
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld
Price: 21.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I buy it?, 26 Oct 2013
Well, I researched recording radios. Wrong search, Roberts, Degen, both c 100, with hangups! So catch up, me; look at the PC, with BBC iPlayer etc., free recording software with scheduler, graphics file handing, and record to SDCH micro card. So that's the recording side sorted. So, the Trevi's SD card slot makes sense.
I wanted a portable radio around the house and garden, to hear FM BBC, Classic etc. and I wanted to replay In Our Time, Today, music, etc., when in the bath or garden.
The radio is loud clear, does not hiss between stations, and can be tuned [with careful precision] fairly easily with the rotary, and does not drift off. The card replay could not be simpler: plug in, switch on to "MP3", turn up the volume.
The socket for the plug-in 6 volt external power-supply had an intermittent contact, but not too serious, can be fixed.
There's more - a USB input and external 3mm [link cable supplied]. No batteries nor PSU.

Italian design, - "that's cool" says daughter- simple rotary controls + indicator for [a] power and [b] card replay [and forward/reverse file selector by button].
Cons: It's not going take abuse, it's made to a low budget, but if a rotary control is broken it can be replaced. The silver finish on the selector button was already scratched, seems it had been demonstrated/used. PSU input socket intermittent.
Pros: It's not plasticcy, has a retro style, works very well. I love it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 4:17 PM GMT

Far From the Madding Crowd [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Far From the Madding Crowd [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Julie Christie
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 8.84

5.0 out of 5 stars I've waited for this, 14 Jan 2011
I saw this film in 1968 and memory fades, but this disc restored faith! Schlesinger and Raphael stitch this experience into Victorian Dorset at so many points. English country life was very specific in it's social structure and economy, and there are vivid flashes here. Some liberties are taken with the plot, but it's a film production, and the direction and screenplay employ the medium to enhance the beauty of the Hardy [unlike the TV production]country. The artistry of the photography and direction together compose atmospheric setpieces of the supper, the beach, the fair, the Christmas party, as examples. I loved it.

Christie and Bates are not of that period, and it's Christie and Bates not Bathsheba and Oak you see, but the story is well told.

I waited for this disc, since the first one was lousy. This 2009 Warner/Turner release has full widescreen cinema format throughout and clear imaging. Richard Rodney Bennet's music forms part of my life, the oboe motif seems to suit the story so well.

I played it on my projector from laptop; it is advertised as NTSC format but I had no problems. Typically American they had to put some crap in front of the main event, but this you can skip.Far From the Madding Crowd [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

Dolls Playhouse with 27 Pieces o Furniture Included For Free
Dolls Playhouse with 27 Pieces o Furniture Included For Free
Offered by kleinemaeuse Preise inkl.MwSt
Price: 119.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Big and garish [but pink seems to be popular], 7 Jan 2011
This is a big and strong dolls house, and so it should be for this price. The characterisation seems odd to my eyes, being pink, and some furniture is strange. The children like it though.
The included furniture enabled a one-stop purchase.
It needs to be assembled, so allow an hour or so for that ; a power screwdriver helps.

Wow Toys Bumpety-Bump Bernie Friction-Powered Tractor
Wow Toys Bumpety-Bump Bernie Friction-Powered Tractor

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks the boxes, 7 Jan 2011
Colourful, versatile with animals and driver all interchangeble - our pig drives- brilliant magnetic coupler for trailer. Other items in the range also tow the trailer. Durable.
Friction drive is sensible motive power choice .

10M Static Rope light Clear
10M Static Rope light Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Look good, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: 10M Static Rope light Clear
The effect is what I wanted: to outline a stair and blustrade on a verandah, and it does that well. It's not OTT which is so prevalent, and seems to be robust in construction. Just fix with ties [supplied] and switch on.

Page: 1 | 2