Profile for Scorpion de Rooftrouser > Reviews

Content by Scorpion de Ro...

Scorpion de Rooftrouser (Hoddesdon UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Beethoven for Winds: Symphony No 7, Op 92 (for 9-part harmony); Fidelio Overture, Op 72b /Octophoros · Dombrecht

5.0 out of 5 stars caveat auditor!, 27 Jan. 2015
If you want the slickest most polished performances pass on; this is raw explosive joy. The scoring is "reduced" but "in Der Beschraenkung a schauet such erst Der Meister" and this 1980s recording with period winds still unvarnished reduced my 91 year old father (with experiences from Furtwaengler, to Carlos Keiber , and the period performance camp not forgetting Klemperer and Beecham) to chortles of Joy. Not for easy listening but raw exhilaration.

Rinstead Pastilles 24
Rinstead Pastilles 24

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want them, 26 Jan. 2015
Now sold as Boot's mouth ulcer pastilles: excellent.

Why Bother?
Why Bother?
Offered by Audible Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars not compatible, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Why Bother? (Audio Download)
The piece itself is brilliant but the format, even using the Audible app, is not compatible with the Kindle Fire HD.

35cm 350mm Professional Metric Parallel Rolling Ruler - Technical Drawing Drafting Art Craft School Office
Offered by Technical Drawing Supplies

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 5 Nov. 2014
This was good to start with but the rubber 'o' rings on the roller perished witghin 12 months making it useless.

Vintage Hoopers, 1985, 75cl
Vintage Hoopers, 1985, 75cl

2.0 out of 5 stars caveat emptor, 7 May 2014
I thought this was rather surprising: 1985 vintage port, albeit from an unknow shipper, for under £30. The cork is crumbling as you'd expect from any vintage port of this age unless re-corked and the colour more like tawny than vintage. It decants quite cleanly though you will need a funnel to catch fragments of cork. but the wine is unbalanced, all spirit and caramel. Frankly Tesco's 1994 vintage port (probably Quarles Harris?) is better at £20 and with its new cork (when it lost its original name) it will be good for up to another 10 years I'd say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 4:37 PM BST

Clean
Clean

5.0 out of 5 stars as far as I can tell..., 2 July 2013
This review is from: Clean (App)
This seems to do what it's supposed to with very little trouble. What else can I say?
That's all I think.

Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black)
Sennheiser CX175 In-Ear Headphones (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate description by Amazon, 19 Jun. 2013
Yes, the sound is very good considering the price, though obviously, my old HD600s are in a completely different class. BUT THEY DO NOT CANCEL NOISE! The description by Amazon is misleading as they simply 'exclude' noise. I have given the full five stars primarily to get it read as I fear that other purchasers may be deceived.

C. Northcote Parkinson's Parkinson's Law: A modern-day interpretation of a true classic (Infinite Success Series)
by Leo Gough

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seems, 17 Mar. 2013
This should be made clearer. I bought this thinking it was the original and you have to look closely to see that it isn't. I would withdraw and re-label it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 6:51 PM BST

Musical Fidelity V-Link II Asynchronous USB to Coax / Optical Converter
Musical Fidelity V-Link II Asynchronous USB to Coax / Optical Converter
Offered by Nintronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely simple and effective, 10 Jun. 2012
On Saturday the 2nd of June I bought and installed a new computer. I did so with trepidation as I'm not very good with computers but I knew that I wanted 24 bit/96 KHz with my Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 amplifier. When The goods arrived two days after the bank holiday I took an A-B USB lead and connected that between the laptop and the V link and a 'digital' phono lead between the v link and the amplifier. The computer acknowledged the new device and I went to the start menu and 'turned on' the connection. I then went to Radio 3 'HD' and tried to listen. Every thing worked perfectly. For those interested I have Heybrook Sextet loudspeakers dating from early 1997.

I have since bought downloads from 'The Classical Shop' who offer a free program for 'FLAC' files(very simple) and the sound is noticeably cleaner and more convincing than my Musical Fidelity CD player. The system also plays DVD discs (I tried Rattle's Mahler 5 @24 bit resolution and my hair stood on end at the opening of the work) SACD only plays CD level.

If you have doubts go to Musical Fidelity's website and read the download of the instructions. It's 'dead easy'

Evolution and Healing: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine
Evolution and Healing: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine
by George C. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a new copy..., 23 Oct. 2010
This book is also available under the title "Why we get sick". I, like Richard Dawkins who greatly praises this book, get sick of publishers mucking around with titles.
The book's reviews under the other title should tell you all that you need to know.Why We Get Sick

Page: 1 | 2