ARRAY(0xabfdecfc)

Profile for A. G. Cook > Reviews

Content by A. G. Cook

A. G. Cook "Bwlvych" (Peacehaven, England.)

Silent Witness : Complete BBC Series 1 [1996] [DVD]
Silent Witness : Complete BBC Series 1 [1996] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amanda Burton
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic BBC crime drama., 26 Jan 2014
Silent Witness is a programme that I dipped in and out of over the years, never watching diligently but enjoying what I saw. I caught the start of the 2014 series and decided that, my wife never having watched it before, I'd get the first series so we could watch them all together and we were not disappointed. Yes there is the initial (but not unexpected) 'OMG look at the hair/clothes/technology!' but that is soon forgotten due to the gripping and well acted story lines.

I've just ordered series 2, what better review can you have?

The Lovely Bones [Blu-ray] [2010]
The Lovely Bones [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Saoirse Ronan
Price: 7.75

1.0 out of 5 stars The Bare Bones, 14 Jan 2014
If you've not read the book you might enjoy the film, but you'll enjoy the book more!

If you've read the book you'll be really disappointed with the film. The story is pared back to the minimum, the characters are altered for no reason and in the main poorly acted. There is just no depth to it. I could tear the film to pieces scene by scene but I already wasted enough time watching it.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD]
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Logan Lerman
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, not so great if you've read the book, 19 Dec 2013
This is a tough film for me to review, my 2 boys (aged 9 and 10) loved the film and couldn't wait to watch it again so I am giving it a 5 as they are the target audience.

The special effects are great which gives believable bad guys for the heroes to defeat, easily.

For me the huge weakness lies in the fact they have ripped the heart out of the book, there is no character development and the important, and difficult, relationship between Percy and Tyson is pretty much brushed aside. This relationship, and how Percy struggled to come to terms with it, was one of the key themes of the book and it's removal just leaves us with a bit of an action movie.

For me, 2 stars.

Curver VICTOR Laundry Basket 40lt WHITE/SILVER
Curver VICTOR Laundry Basket 40lt WHITE/SILVER
Offered by Dealsdirect247
Price: 8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 Dec 2013
At the purchase price of 6.86 this is a brilliant item. Well made and sturdy ... not a lot more to say, it's what you expect of a Curver plastic laundry basket!

Piranha PC14g Large COMPUTER DESK with A4 Suspension File Drawer
Piranha PC14g Large COMPUTER DESK with A4 Suspension File Drawer
Offered by Piranha Trading Limited
Price: 109.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 27 Nov 2013
Delivery was as promised.

Desk came very well packed. Assembly instructions were very clear and all the fittings were individually bagged and labelled along with (amazingly) a bag of spare parts! In my experience of flat pack furniture the instructions and presentation of the parts is the best I have encountered. Assembly was fairly easy for one person but 1 or 2 stages were a bit fiddly and would have been better done in a slightly different order.

As previously mentioned the finish is a grey speckled black and seems to have been shrink wrapped on so there are very few, and no visible, edges of laminate to catch. Time will tell on the durability.

It could be improved with a desk hutch and the option of left of right handed versions (one end is curved) but all-in-all I am very pleased, especially with the price!

Culinare Multi Grater White
Culinare Multi Grater White
Price: 12.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice size, well made., 28 Aug 2013
I couldn't find the sizes in the product description and was worried it might be small, it isn't. The cutting blade is 60mm by 160mm and the container is 50mm deep at the shallowist.

No hidden non-stainless steel parts to rust, as destroyed my last box grater.

Less fuss, and less mess.

Very pleased!