Profile for Simon Wood > Reviews

Simon Wood

Midnight in Europe
Midnight in Europe

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 July 2014
Disappointing - I have loved his previous works because they have been full of tension and historical detail. This one was sluggish, slightly implausible (particularly some of the characters) and a bit of a damp squib. Not for me.

The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
by Frank Strack

5.0 out of 5 stars LOL in the real sense, 17 Oct. 2013
Just try not to laugh at this book. If you're a hard core cyclist you'll realise that every word is shamefully (or joyously) true. If you're not then what are you doing with your life?

Blaupunkt 112 Comfort Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blaupunkt 112 Comfort Noise Cancelling Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for lost Bose, 17 Oct. 2013
I bought these because i carelessly left my Bose on a flight and lost the will to live trying to deal with American Airlines lost property. Straight out of the box they are a fantastic replacement. Robust, great sound - I can see we're going to get along just find as long as I don't leave them anywhere.

The Line of Beauty: Picador Classic
The Line of Beauty: Picador Classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, relentless, 23 May 2013
I avoided this book for a long time because of my own issues with the period it covers. The wait has been worth it, with the evocation of that time almost sending a chill down the spine. Nicks character is beautifully drawn, both as the device for shining a light on others' behaviour and as a protagonist, and Hollinghurst manages to create both momentum and crippling inertia in equal measures. The weaknesses of all characters are relentlessly exposed, sometimes through quite comic episodes, but this is a true tragedy with an ending built around injustice and the lingering sense that no-one will survive intact. Beautiful book.

Rough Ride
Rough Ride

5.0 out of 5 stars Unflinching, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rough Ride (Kindle Edition)
This intense account of life in the peleton has only been enhanced by the additional content post original publication. I have been passionate about cycling and pro racing most of my life and despair of the condition my sport is still in with so many investigations pending and suspensions in place. Paul Kimmage has done this sport a favour with his searing account, full of his first hand memories of how professional sport can chew an individual up and spit them out. I still feel the same about my sport, but this fantastic book makes me question what I see just as passionately.

Giovanni's Room (Penguin Modern Classics)
Giovanni's Room (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Wrenching, 13 Mar. 2012
Frankly this is the most heart wrenching novel I have read in a long, long time. Beautifully constructed, with truly 3 dimensional characters poulating it, it is a story that sucks you down into it's despair and leaves you exhausted by the emotions it takes you through. I loved it.

Jack Holmes and His Friend
Jack Holmes and His Friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Narrative, 13 Mar. 2012
Long time since I've read a novel with such breathtaking narrative. Jack is a beautifully written character, contrasted against the strangely lost Will and the brilliantly brittle Alex. We are spared the need for tragedy to underpin the drama of this story and the times it is set in, and it touches very deeply even without it. Oh, and it is extremely funny in parts too. I loved it.