Profile for positivity > Reviews

Sharpie Mini Permanent Marker Assorted Standard Colours - Pack of 4
Sharpie Mini Permanent Marker Assorted Standard Colours - Pack of 4
Offered by Megabrokers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for marking boxes for moving house, 11 May 2014
These pens were a little smaller than I expected - 78mm long with lid off, 90mm with lid on. It makes them slightly difficult to write with even though I have small hands.

However, we have found them exceptionally useful for marking boxes as we pack up to move house - one pen for each major room!

And they write well on CDs and don't rub off.

Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse
Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse
Offered by PreisCompany

5.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully with my Macbook Pro, 31 Mar 2012
As soon as the mouse arrived I plugged it into my MacBook Pro (bought in late 2010) and it worked immediately. Seems well made and does the trick.

Energy Medicine: How to use your body's energies for optimum health and vitality
by Donna Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, extremely interesting - I love it!, 19 Sep 2011
I heard about Donna Eden a few years ago and looked her up Youtube. She seemed to have something about her so I bought her Energy Medicine Kit.

I forgot about it until this year when I heard that she was coming to the UK. I went to her workshop in London and she had such incredible vibrancy and honesty. She seems so very alive compared to other people! We went through a series of exercises and demonstrations which were fascinating. I don't like buying people's books at workshops but I was so impressed by Donna and the exercises that I bought this book.

I read about a third of it on the train on the way home! It is so well-written, explaining concepts simply, with useful tips. It's the sort of book that I want to give to everyone I know.

At the workshop David Feinstein, Donna's partner, asked us to commit to doing the "Daily Energy Routine" every day for two weeks. I didn't find it easy to commit to it, but I started doing the energy routine every morning. After about 3 weeks I found that I really wanted to do it because I feel much more energetic afterwards. Occasionally I forget to do the routine and later in the day I realise I'm not as lively as usual so I do it then. I've even added a couple of Donna's other exercises which I find helpful to the routine.

The book is fantastic; I dip into it regularly. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, the figures are sometimes not on the page near the text they go with, which isn't ideal, but I love the book anyway. I couldn't lend it to a friend, I had to buy her a copy!

Curry Easy
Curry Easy
by Madhur Jaffrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplified curry making, but I prefer her "Indian Cookery" book, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Curry Easy (Hardcover)
I bought this book recently because the reviews were so good. I already own "Indian Cookery" by Madhur Jaffrey and it is my most used cookbook. Unfortunately I love that book so much that I was a bit disappointed with this one!

I am used to making Madhur's more intricate curry recipes and have learnt how to make up my own recipes.

I'm sure that this book is fantastic for those new to curry-making but it didn't excite me as much as I'd hoped. However, I have made the "Southern Indian Potato Curry" and it was a nice change in style.

There is a huge difference in the complexity of the recipes in the two books. The recipes in "Indian Cookery" can be a bit long winded sometimes and I simplify them where I think it makes little difference (e.g. squeezing water out of frozen spinach and then adding water later!). "Curry Easy" has pared recipes down.

Perhaps I just need to persist with "Curry Easy"!

Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery
Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars My most used cookbook, 19 Sep 2011
This book is fantastic. I have had it for several years and it is the cookbook that I use most in my kitchen. There is such a wide variety of dishes in it that it covers anything (curry related) I ever feel like cooking. I have to say that I think I am now addicted to curry and don't want to cook much else!

I used to use garam masala before I bought this book but now I feel confident enough to make up my own recipes using cumin and coriander powder - and the results are edible!

I love the quick recipes such as green beans cooked simply with mustard or cumin seeds. And courgettes with prawns.

One point I would like to make is that I feel Madhur Jaffrey sometimes goes about things in a long way in this book. For example, the recipe for spinach and potato curry uses frozen spinach which she defrosts, squeezes the water out of and then adds water to the recipe. I just cook the spinach from frozen with par-cooked potatoes and I think it achieves the same end but is much quicker and probably more nutritious too!

Recently I bought Madhur's new "Curry Easy" book and I don't like "Curry Easy" as much as this book, but I think she has simplified her style a lot since this book. I still love it!

Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
by Pam Corbin

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted to a chutney fan, 19 Sep 2011
I never liked chutney until my sister and I made the 'general' chutney from Pam Corden's recipe in this wonderful Preserves book. Now I'm addicted to it! I've made my own batch and I can't wait to try it.

It's a lovely book, with a great variety of recipes in it, from jams to chutneys, pickles to cordials, bottled fruits to sloe gin. We made 'Beena' (cordial) at the weekend and it's delicious.

The book is very straightforward and makes anything seem possible! The only limit is the number of jars you have!

The Enchanted April (VMC)
The Enchanted April (VMC)
by Elizabeth von Arnim

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, beautiful and full of magic, 17 May 2003
I love this book. I've read it several times and it's as lovely each time. Last time I read the whole book on a long train journey and I didn't mind the long delays because I was enjoying myself! I think it's a happy, dreamy, magical book, full of flowers, sunshine and emotion. The characters become more and more truly themselves as the book progresses.