Profile for Karl C > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Offered by Kikatek

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but there are better value options available., 7 Mar 2014
This review is based on my experience with a custom built desktop PC.

Windows 8 was always going to cause controversy due to the overhaul of its user interface, but the way it was handled by Microsoft was appalling. I don't mind the Metro interface, especially for mobile devices, and I'm familiar with the desktop/folder interface that has served so well for many years. But to put a desktop and metro interface overlaying one another is confusing and makes opening programs a pain in the rear end.

The bundled software that comes with Windows is very poor compared to third party options available. Whilst Internet Explorer is a very good browser for the first time since I've ever used the web, Firefox, Chrome and Opera are all superior alternatives. The same goes for the bundled defragging software, hard drive partition software, anti-virus, firewall etc.

The very good thing about Windows 8 is just how much faster it is at booting up than Windows 7 was. Windows 7 was decent, but this boots up in about 15 seconds, which for such a heavy OS is quite impressive. It's also noticeably quicker than Windows 7 was for general use.

My main gripe however is the cost. The only advantage that Windows has over rival operating systems is its support of legacy programs. Many more services are becoming web oriented nowadays, meaning they can be used across any operating system. For this reason, I think the cost of the product is hugely above its value. Especially when you consider that operating systems like Ubuntu do not require a licence fee but still have the same functionality.

Overall, I think that unless you really need a program that forces you to use Windows, then this is a better choice than Windows 7. If, however, you can avoid it, your PC will be better off with Ubuntu.

Stanley 99E Retractable Blade Knife
Stanley 99E Retractable Blade Knife

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit heavy., 8 Feb 2014
I use this as a boxcutter at work. Did the job, although the blade blunted after using it on plastic strapping a bit too much, but what did I expect? It's a bit heavier than I would have liked, but that is due to the excellent build quality. No worries of this snapping in my pocket like the cheap plastic ones we usually use. The spare blades rattle slightly inside the knife which is a bit annoying but stops being noticeable after a while.

QI standard Wireless Charger for Google Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet by MCPOWER
QI standard Wireless Charger for Google Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet by MCPOWER
Offered by verydeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 8 Feb 2014
It charges my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 with no issue. With the Nexus 7, you have to be quite specific where you put the device, but the Nexus 5 fits perfectly. There is a blue light indicator which I was worried would annoy me at night, but my device will still charge when I use it to cover the light.

Portable Compact Folding Table Top Ironing Iron Board Camping Travel Foldable (Animal)
Offered by Shop Monk

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 8 Feb 2014
Does the job. Not the sturdiest, and obviously due to the position of the legs, and the small size of the board, it is not possible to put the board inside a shirt to make it easier to iron, but this was always going to be the case.

The design is good and the build quality is much better than more expensive boards I have used in the past.

Premier Housewares Twist Mug Tree - Black
Premier Housewares Twist Mug Tree - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 Feb 2014
Looks great against my black granite. Sturdily holds 6 regular sized mugs. Could probably double up on each branch too. Does the job, nice design and reasonably priced.

Coconoil Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 460 g
Coconoil Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 460 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, but overpriced on Amazon., 8 Feb 2014
This is an excellent product. Great for hair and skin, and also fantastic for cooking. Slight shame that it's a plastic tub and not a glass jar. £11.50 is very expensive. Matta's International Foods in Liverpool sells this for £7.99 at the time of writing. Local specialist shops in other towns will probably sell this for a similar price too. [...]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 6:19 PM BST

Roku 3 HD Streaming Player
Roku 3 HD Streaming Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but lacks webpage viewing.....at least for now., 5 Jan 2014
I'm also an owner of a Chromecast, so am qualified to give a comparison.

First of all, the Roku is great as a standalone device, which the Chromecast is not. I can watch Youtube videos, Netflix, and Plex, all without the need for me to use my phone, tablet or laptop. This is a slight advantage, although I can't remember the last time I didn't have my smartphone to hand.

The remote control having a headphone jack is a great feature. Now I can watch Match of the Day whilst the wife watches something else on a different device, whilst still cuddled up on the sofa. For me, this was a top selling point.

The interface is easy to set up, and the selection of channels is numerous, although only a small proportion of them are of decent quality, or too specialist to be a selling point. Still, in terms of the channel selection available, it beats the Chromecast and Apple TV hands down.

If you have video, music or pictures on your smartphone or tablet, you can cast them to the Roku and they will play on the big screen, very similar to Apple TV. Any media on your PC can be sent using the incredible Plex application, and unlike Chromecast (at the time of writing), the support of Plex does not require a paid for Plex subscription. The videos play in full HD.

There are 2 features that I think are missing from Roku 3 that I am hoping will become available soon. First of all is Google Music. As an avid fan of Google Music, I really would love to see it supported by Roku, but that seems unlikely as Roku is a big rival of Google's own Chromecast. In fairness, although I am not a Spotify user, I am led to believe the Roku's Spotify channel is superb.

The other feature that is excellent on Chromecast, is the ability to cast web pages from my PC/Chromebook to the Roku device. Although the quality on Chromecast only goes up to 720 and not 1080 (for now), the ability to be able to do that means that any video available to watch through a Chrome tab is available to watch through Chromecast. If the Roku could do this, then I would be a very happy man indeed.

There have been talks of Miracast becoming available for Roku. That would be incredible.

With it's beautiful interface, Plex, Netflix, Youtube, BBC iPlayer, BBC News, 4OD and Demand 5 support (plus many, many others), it's impossible to not give the Roku 3 a full 5 stars. I picked this up for £75 from Amazon in the lightning deals in January 2014. So far, it definitely seems worth it.

Whether I prefer it to the Chromecast is difficult to say. I have both now and will probably keep one. I love them both so much, I really don't know which one.

Orzly® - Multi-Function Wallet Case for LG NEXUS 5 - BLACK Leather Effect Wallet Style Phone Case with Intergrated Stand and Built-In Auto Sleep / Wake Sensor Functionality designed exclusively for the GOOGLE NEXUS 5 SmartPhone ( 2013 Model )
Offered by OGADGETHUB

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every way, 29 Dec 2013
I knew my wife was very kindly getting me the Nexus 5 for Christmas (love it!) and wanted a cheap case to put on it straight away whilst I shopped around for a nice one. Well, that won't be necessary.

It feels nice. The matte finish means it looks like leather, and gives you a decent grip, lessening the risk of dropping it. It feels nice on the hand, no rashes or irritation.

If you do drop the phone, despite the decent grip this case gives, then worry not. The case is very protective without being too bulky. It's the perfect balance between sturdiness and sleekness.

The reason I wanted one with a screen cover is to protect the screen whilst the phone is in my pocket from keys and coins. No worries with this cover.

The phone fits into the case perfectly. It is very difficult (though not impossible) to remove the phone from the case, which is exactly how it should be. Unlike other phone/tablet cases I've had experience with, the volume buttons and power button are just as easy to access whether the case is on or off, and the SIM card slot is accessible with the case still on. The USB port and headphone jack are also still easily accessible, and unlike my previous phone/case combo, the chunky bit of plastic around my headphone jack is not a problem.

I particularly like the tear-drop shape of the cutout hole for the camera and flash. It looks much classier than a large circle would.

The inner flap also features two credit card sized slots, which are great for carrying a card and a tenner if you need to pop out but don't want to carry a wallet or purse.

The case folds into a stand, although this only works in landscape mode. This is a nice feature, though admittedly I will very rarely use it. Maybe if you plan on using your phone to watch videos on a train, this could be a handy little feature.

2 bonuses from this cover that I wasn't really expecting with a sub £7 cover:

1.) When the case is opened/closed, the screen automatically turns on/off. This is a great feature when you quickly need access to your phone, and saves battery as you don't need to remember to turn the screen off when you close the cover.

2.) My wireless charging pad still works with this cover! My wife has a Nexus 7 with a case that unfortunately won't charge with the case on. Not a problem with this case!

All in all, it does EVERYTHING that I need a case to do, including looking and feeling good. I would definitely buy a case from this manufacturer again.

AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast!, 3 Dec 2013
I don't know all of the technical specifics of processors, or how they work exactly. But, I wanted a fast processor that I could put into the PC I was building, that would last a few years and still be fast enough to be relevant. This processor was relatively cheap, had 8 cores and clocked at 4Ghz. That was a massive improvement on my 2.3Ghz dual-core in my old PC!

Alongside this processor, I have the following set-up

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR-3 1833Mhz
Hard Drives: 1x Solid State 32GB (system drive), 1x 1TB SATA HDD, 1x 2TB SATA HDD
Optical: DVD/CD RW

Windows 8 boots up in about 10 seconds! That's almost as fast as my Chromebook takes. Tasks such as processing large amounts of data works seamlessly, and decoding video content on this to stream to my Chromebook is flawless.

This processor is the cornerstone of my sub £400 PC, that I am hoping will still be relevant in 3 years time.

Nikon EN-EL20 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery from Dot.Foto - 2 Year Warranty - Nikon 1 Series J1, J2
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 28 Nov 2013
The battery is great. Holds its charge and is a great backup battery for when I'm out all day taking pictures.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4