Profile for Laura > Reviews

Content by Laura

Laura (Stanton, United Kingdom)

The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and lovely!, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rosie Project (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this alot. Such a sweet, quirky main character and well observed by the author. Last couple of reads were quite long and heavy going and so this was the perfect light refreshment. A light and crisp lemon sorbet to refresh the palette before the next meaty read!
Ending was a bit cheesy but that is forgiven as on the whole it was charming and quite amusing.

At Last Naturals Vaginal Moisturizing Gel with Wild Yam 44 ml
At Last Naturals Vaginal Moisturizing Gel with Wild Yam 44 ml
Offered by High Street
Price: 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, 10 July 2013
I was prescribed topical HRT to try to ease the extreme discomfort I experienced during my routine cervical screening exam. I didn't fancy taking the HRT having read about some of the risks and side effects, but needed to have the screening done, so did some research, found out about wild yam and ordered this gel. I used it for just over a week before the rescheduled cervical smear was due and sailed through the exam with no problems. I was thrilled as I really hadn't wanted to take the hormones. Bit miffed that it's doubled in price since I ordered it the first time, hope it's not because I've been recommending it to everyone!

Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles
Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles
by Rupert Kingfisher
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 Year Old Daughter loved it!, 4 Jan 2013
I haven't read this myself but my daughter absolutely loved it. I haven't heard her this enthusiastic about a book for a long time and she reads alot. She's can't wait to read the next in the series.

HP Deskjet 3050 All-in-One Printer
HP Deskjet 3050 All-in-One Printer

2.0 out of 5 stars Really High Ink Costs, 20 Sep 2011
Nice quality prints and quite fast but it uses at least three times as many cartridges as my old All in One HP Printer which used 56 and 57 cartridges (2150 I think it was). I don't think you get anywhere near the quoted number of pages. Be prepared to be replacing cartridges every few weeks if you are a medium family user ( ie with kids printing off homework etc). I would avoid this printer and don't be sucked it by the cheap selling price as you'll pay dearly in ink costs in the long run.

HP 301 colour Ink Cartridge
HP 301 colour Ink Cartridge
Offered by Global Ape
Price: 9.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality good but used really quickly, 20 Sep 2011
Very disappointed with how little ink is in these cartridges and it seems to be getting worse! I previously had an HP printer that used 56 and 57 and bought the All in one 3050 to replace it as the cartridges were a bit cheaper. The 301 cartirdges only last about half the time of 56 and 57 so it's a completely false economy. And for whatever reason this colour cartridge from Amazon has literally only lasted a few weeks with not that much usage (about 50 pages at most). Not impressed HP !!! I would avoid a printer that uses these cartridges - also they give you no warning that ink is low, so that you can buy new ones before they run out. They don't fade gradually - the print disappears off the page at the same time as it warns you it's running out of ink so it's a disaster if you are in the middle of something important.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2012 1:10 PM GMT

Claude in the City
Claude in the City
by Alex T Smith
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Claude in the City (Paperback)
I'm thrilled to have found this book. My 9 year old dyslexic son is such a reluctant reader and it's so rare to find anything that he actually wants to read by himself. My daughter got this out of the library and he picked it up and read it from cover to cover! Then begged me to buy him a copy! He loves this book! Perfect for dyslexic kids as there are loads of pictures and not too much text and it's not in the least bit patronising. He has quite a quirky sense of humour and this book has really tickled him. I think it's really funny too and we have really enjoyed all the beautifully detailed illustrations. The character's are fabulous. I've now bought the latest one too 'Claude on Holiday' and am hoping there'll be more to come in the series.

The Old Child and the Book of Words
The Old Child and the Book of Words
by Jenny Erpenbeck
Price: 6.17

2.0 out of 5 stars The emporer's new clothes!, 18 Jan 2011
I bought this because it was recommended on a book show on TV. Apparently it should have been life changing. I think this novel must be for the highly intellectual as I just didn't get it! It was eery but so pedestrian and repetitive. I kept going as I thought all would become clear in the end but it didn't. It left me with more questions than answers but the questions I had weren't really interesting enough to waste anymore of my life on. If you like those strange German Arthouse films where you sit and watch one character sitting alone in a derelict house in the wilderness for two hours in black and white, then you might enjoy this book - otherwise I'd steer clear!

Sword And The Scimitar
Sword And The Scimitar
by David Ball
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but too long, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sword And The Scimitar (Paperback)
I read this as part of our book club which was good as I may not have persevered unless I had to and in the end the story was quite gripping. The writing is very old fashioned and reads like an old hollywood epic ( you'd have to cast Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren in the lead roles!!) but once you accept that's what it is it's quite enjoyable. I think this book would have really benefited from more ruthless editing. As it was I found myself skimming over great chunks of text. There is also a whole section of the book dedicated to the story of Christien who was essentially a supporting character and whilst it was interesting it was unecessary for this story. The coincidences in the story were also a bit too much for me. Nico the main character was clutched from the jaws of death on more than one occasion in such a way that would only happen in a Hollywood blockbuster. It felt a bit patronizing, given the circumstances, that there wasn't more tragedy in this story. I prefer a bit more realism even if it does leave me in a heap!