Profile for Steven Porter > Reviews

Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch
Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch
Price: 131.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Top product - MUCH better than previous models, 24 Dec 2009
I have owned the Forerunner 205 and 305 and was happy with both. This model though is a cut above. I considered buying a Polar, but was disappointed to read you have to buy a 50 gadget just to download data and even then they are not Mac compatible. I read reviews on Amazon and bought this one instead.

The watch is a good size and not heavy at all. The size is bigger than the 405 but you wouldn't wear it as a normal watch anyway, so this is fine for me.

Here are the positives for me compared to other models:

1. The GPS pick-up is superb! It is quick, even if you move locations. I moved from Abu Dhabi to Brussels and it picked up satellites in less than a minute. It even worked in my kitchen!
2. The vibration alert is really useful as you don't always want the watch beeping during events. Also if you have music on you don't have to rely on hearing it.
3. The charging cradle/lead is really easy to use and small enough to travel with.
4. The virtual partner function is very useful again.
5. The ease of uploading data to my Mac. The watch automatically pairs with the supplied USB 'dongle' once initially setup. It then transfers data to your computer very quickly.

As a final positive, the Garmin Connect software is superb. It tracks maps on Google and shows you split times, etc at each lap. The stuff you can do with this software is excellent. It seems that Garmin are committed to improve the software/firmware as updates seem to be worked on regularly and a firmware update was available for me yesterday. I have not used this online software before but it really is very easy to use and shows great information. Much better than the Polar online stuff!

The only negative thing would be the...orange strap!