Profile for I. Horswell > Reviews

Content by I. Horswell

I. Horswell (Bristol, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3500/01 with Sunrise Simulation
Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3500/01 with Sunrise Simulation

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok but not great value for money, 7 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a robust alarm clock with light that takes up very little space on your bedside table. The instructions weren't easy to follow but my 7 year old pressed a few buttons and we worked it out by trial and error.

The light starts 30 minutes before your alarm and gradually brightens to a predetermined level (level 10 feels like its shining a torch in your eyes but it still didn't wake up some of the heavy sleepers in the family (we have all tried it out!)). At the alarm time, an annoying beep makes sure that you have woken up.

I am a big fan of SAD lights/ light alarms as I find they really help me to wake up on dull winter mornings and feel brighter. This is a new brand for me but at this price, I feel it lacks functionality and I'm not sure that I feel any different in the mornings. Other light alarms have 15 or 30 minute options for waking up and a sunset option for gradually dimming the light at bedtime. I guess it depends on what you are prepared to spend and whether you want it to try out or because you really need the boost that light alarms can bring.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Someone to Watch Over Me
by Madeleine Reiss

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 3 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had planned to stretch this book out but I soon found myself sucked into the story, at one point moved to tears and at another letting rip at my other half because he'd interrupted me just as the book reached its climax.

The book interweaves the stories of several families, each with their own troubles, initially pottering along setting the scene before accelerating to a chilling end.

I give it four stars because I felt we'll see even more depth and skill from this new author in future novels.

Treasure Island
Treasure Island
by Robert Louis Stevenson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for long car journeys for 8-12yrs, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Treasure Island (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautifully read version of Treasure Island that lasts just over an hour. Great for getting young minds interested in a classic story...it may even inspire them to read it!

There are some scary parts and longer words, which is why I'd recommend it to older junior/KS2 children and above. Great for keeping the kids quiet on a long car journey!

Acrylic Cookbook Stand
Acrylic Cookbook Stand
Offered by Grids London

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 16 July 2013
Wipe clean cookbook stand, quickly delivered at a good price. The picture shows how much of the page would be protected with a larger book. It has saved many of my cookbooks from being splashed and splattered.

The price may seem high but my first acrylic cookbook stand lasted 15 years. I'm looking forward to this one lasting just as long.

Stabilo 6891/3-4103 Rollerball Pen with 3 Refills Left-Handed Orange / Anthracite

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy starter pen for lefties, 16 July 2013
My 7 year old is a leftie. These pens have a lovely flow to them and feel nice in your hand. They are chunky enough for small fingers to hold. They come with 3 extra refills and name stickers. Recommended!

Stabilo Smove Easy Pen and 3 Refills Left-handed Line 0.8mm Tip 0.5mm Royal Blue Ref 6891 Jan-Dec 2011
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy starter pen for lefthanders, 16 July 2013

MAPED VISIO LEFT HANDED BALL POINT PEN - BLUE
MAPED VISIO LEFT HANDED BALL POINT PEN - BLUE
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great biro for a lefthander, 16 July 2013
My 9 year old son has always had scruffy handwriting and didn't enjoy writing. A friend observed that he was holding his pen awkwardly to avoid smudging his handwriting, which may have made his hand ache. She suggested he use this pen and its worked. I can see that his hand is less tense, he wants to write more and is writing more neatly.

I give it only 4 stars as one of the 3 pens I ordered ran out of ink within hours.

Top Dad New T-Shirt (Large, Black)
Top Dad New T-Shirt (Large, Black)
Offered by Rinsed

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 19 Jun. 2013
Lovely thick cotton, ideal for our English 'summer', with quality print that should last wash after wash (provided you don't iron it).

Dad was very pleased!

Orgran Free From Buckwheat Spirals 250 g (Pack of 7)
Orgran Free From Buckwheat Spirals 250 g (Pack of 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite gluten free pasta, 17 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried lots of different gluten free pastas and most congeal in a soggy mess at the bottom of the pan. This is a lovely slightly nutty tasting pasta (no nuts in it though), which keeps its shape and can be used in salads the next day, without falling apart.

Stick to the cooking instructions and serve it hot 'al dente'. Rinse leftovers with cold water, add pesto (or whichever topping you like) and let it cool. Perfect. My very fussy son loves it without sauce.

Orgran Free From Buckwheat Crispibread 125 g (Pack of 6)
Orgran Free From Buckwheat Crispibread 125 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by Superfood Market

4.0 out of 5 stars Very crispy, 17 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have eaten a great many gluten free crackers/crispbreads - this is one of the better "light" ones. It is dry, crispy and doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth (unlike some very similar looking ones). It feels and tastes nice and light.

I have deducted a star because of the packaging. Most gluten free products are thoughtfully packaged in 1-2 person portion sizes, mostly because you don't want to eat the same thing every day and usually there is only one person in a household that eats gluten free. This crispbread is in a single package within the box.

That aside, its a nice change from heavy oatcakes and perfect for summer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15