Profile for I. Horswell > Reviews

Content by I. Horswell

I. Horswell (Bristol, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Philips SHQ1200/10 ActionFit Sweatproof Ultra Light Sports Headphones - In-Ear (New for 2013)
Offered by Mega Deals
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Variable sound quality, 5 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to try some new headphones as my previous ones were constantly falling out of my ears, which was frustrating. My original review was very positive but after 3 weeks of use, some problems have emerged.

I have run in these headphones, lifted weights, twisted and turned - the earphones stayed in place without pulling. The sound quality was good for about 3 weeks but then it started varying. With the volume on full, I wasn't always able to hear music as loudly as I wanted. I twisted the plastic ear caps around the earpiece and it worked, but I took the earpieces fell out again, I had to reset them again to hear well.

Where the cable fits to my ipod, there is a small dogleg, ensuring that the cable moves away from the ipod on the side that I prefer to wear it but when the cable is pulled it seems to cause a problem with the ipod and the track I'm listening to changes.

The crocodile clip is useful to attach to clothes but the wires do get tangled round it when you store your ipod.

Overall, I can't recommend them, which is a shame as they were originally quite good.

The Negotiator in You: At Home (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Home (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 7.53

3.0 out of 5 stars A good intro to negotiating, 2 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking for new ways to apply negotiating skills at home with kids, other half and extended family.

The CD started poorly - I found the introduction monotonic and I was tempted to switch off within the first 5 minutes. After that, the CD improves giving both work and home examples. It takes you at a high level through the basics of what a negotiation is/isn't, why work/home negotiations often vary then moves on to 6 issues: controlling your emotions, intergenerational differences (values), gender differences, intangible issues (respect/dignity etc), family gatherings and negotiating with kids.

There are several areas where the author refers to e.g. the 5 negotiating styles but then only tells you about one of them. The downloadable PDF workbook is useful but again, its at a high level.

There are 3 parts in the negotiating series so perhaps this cd alone is not enough. It will only be of use to someone new to negotiation.

What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 Minutes a Day
by Laura Stack
Price: 9.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Time management for everyone, 1 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall this is a very useful book, with helpful reminders of time management techniques equally applicable in the workplace or at home (although most of the examples are given at work). I really liked her chatty style, up to date examples and chapter summaries.

Over the years, I have read many books about time management, have run training sessions and consider myself to be relatively organised and efficient so wondered what else I'd learn. The answer is three fold:

1) that it never hurts to be regularly reminded of techniques and to brush up where you've got into bad habits
2) that you need to give time to modern technology to use its full potential as calendars/filing systems/jotters etc
3) once you have established your priorities in a particular setting e.g. work, that you need to triage the demands on your time according to your priorities (just like a doctors surgery would do allocating difficult tasks to specialists and delegating less complicated/routine tasks e.g.to nurses

I shall be dipping into this again and again to reassess my time management- might even set it up as a recurring quarterly task in outlook!

Better Than Fiction: True travel tales from great fiction writers (Lonely Planet Travel Literature)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book for people that enjoy travel/travel writing, 2 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a collection of over 30 short true stories written by a range of travel authors, some of whom are very well known. Each story conjures up the sights, smells and experiences often with a salutory learning point for the author. Most tales are only a few pages long, just enough to pique the interest.

Whilst I can devour most books in a few days, I found myself able to only read one story at a time so that I could really savour the experience. This has reawoken my interest in travellers tales and I now have plenty of new authors to follow up. Highly recommended for anyone who loves to explore our world.

What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential and How You Can
by Robert Kelsey
Price: 8.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but it only works if you make time to do the exercises!, 20 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a thorough and thought-provoking book, not one you can zip through overnight.

You'll get VFM if you do the exercises, many of which are based on standard management techniques that you'd use at work e.g. setting goals, strategy, tactics.

The first section introduces the concept of a "high fear of failure". He explains that even high achievers can be motivated by fear of failure and that how it can affect their decisions. He draws on his own experience of failure and a number of well known self help gurus such as Stephen Covey, John Gaunt and Anthony Robbins. The book then moves into a comprehensive summary of key management techniques applied to your personal situation. The summary boxes at the end of the chapter are useful.

I had planned to read this several months ago. Made a good start, disagreed with much of the early section, as it seems overly pessimistic, and then skipped through the management techniques/self-help section, as I didn't find much new in it.

I can see that this book would be revolutionary for people that have never previously planned their lives but for those of you that are already doing it, I'm not sure what more you'd get from this book.

Distressed Shield - Black (L)
Distressed Shield - Black (L)
Offered by Top Gear Merchandise/Amber Promotions
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Distressed Shield (Apparel)
Lovely quality t shirt. The colour has lasted through the first few washes and it irons beautifully. We also bought the Superman t shirt from thie range. Really pleased with them both.

Galt Horrible Science Shocking Rocket
Galt Horrible Science Shocking Rocket
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun for the children, 10 Jan 2013
This is very easy to put together and great fun for the children outdoors (they did get a bit wet). It doesn't need much supervision - young children may need help with the sharp adaptor initially but the rest can be all their own work. Comes with a child-friendly explanation of how the rocket works. You will need a ball pump or similar to get air into the rocket.

John Adams Swamp Science
John Adams Swamp Science

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun for infant/junior ages, 10 Jan 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: John Adams Swamp Science (Toy)
Our 7 year old was delighted with this and wants another! You need an adult to closely supervise the experiments, newspaper to protect your surfaces, 150ml bottled water, 150ml oil and a few drops of food colouring.

The crystal tree starts to grow within hours and is lovely and colourful- but be warned, the crystals will fall off if knocked especially as it starts to dry out. The bubbling swamp and volcano were fun, but short lived. They do spit - so get the children to wear the protective goggles. The desert rose opened quickly but wasn't very exciting. The highlight was the swamp monsters. After 24 hours you could see lots of tiny dots swimming around (despite some of the experiments spilling over into the water). It was fun watching and feeding them. Unfortunately ours only lived for a week before the crystal tree was knocked and the water thoroughly polluted. I suggest building your swamp elsewhere if you want to keep the creatures growing.

All in all - it looks plasticky but is really good fun.

Blue Football Light Switch Cover
Blue Football Light Switch Cover
Offered by BeeSwitched
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy 7 year old!, 26 Dec 2012
Our footie mad son was very happy with this.

This is a plastic cover the size of a standard light switch with sticky pads on the back. It looks great on and should be easy to change/remove if needed.

Cole & Mason Precision Beech 165 mm Pepper Mill
Cole & Mason Precision Beech 165 mm Pepper Mill
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product, 26 Dec 2012
This was a replacement for my 13 year old Cole & Mason pepper pot. It matches my old salt cellar. The pot feels really nice and grinds beautifully. We also bought a salt and pepper pot stand, which saves the usual mess on the table.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12