Profile for lemelman > Reviews

Content by lemelman

lemelman

Page: 1 | 2
Night of the Assassin: (Assassin Series Prequel)
Night of the Assassin: (Assassin Series Prequel)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A sort-of super antihero, 12 Jan 2014
Intriguing central character and basic plot. The story is quite interesting but the characterization is a bit comic-book. Its fine for a quick read.

JET
JET
Price: 2.34

4.0 out of 5 stars A female Bourne, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: JET (Kindle Edition)
Lots of well written action and a good plot. I like to read in bed before going to sleep and the chapters are just about the right length for this.

Dr. Meter B003+ USB Microscope Endoscope Otoscope with 300X Magnification & Health Beauty Inspection Tools and Mini Metal Tripod

4.0 out of 5 stars Good optics and a very convenient shape, 16 Oct 2013
Only the included software stopped me giving this microscope 5 stars.
There is no Help (pressing the Help button gives only "About" information); when the program starts its window is located half off the screen and must be dragged to be completely visible; despite the box saying that the resolution is 1600x1200, the program says that its 649x480. It turns out that the Options button provides a panel that shows an "Output Image Size" slider marked Normal and Large. It turns out not to be a slider but a switch, and setting it to Large does indeed increase the resolution, but the main window still says 640x480. Finally, to take a picture you have the mouse-click the Shoot button (it looks like a camera). This is generally OK, but sometimes it would be more convenient to be able to press a PF key instead.
The microscope itself works very well, with excellent results, but the software seems very incomplete - more like a prototype than a finished product.

Toshiba 22D1334B 22-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Built-In DVD Player
Price: 149.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A super bedroom tele, 16 Oct 2013
TV is mostly about picture quality, and for this theTosh scores full marks.
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the update function. Switching off from the Remote puts it in Standby mode; the picture and sound turn off and the Standby light glows red.
The first night I had it, I woke up at about 3am to find the Standby light pulsing red and green. Since I had no idea what it meant I did a quick check of the skimpy User Guide and found nothing, so, assuming some fault had surfaced, I powered it off totally and contacted Toshiba in the morning. Eventually I got a response saying that it was not a fault, but simply an indication that the TV was updating itself. This really should be written in big bold letters in a prominent place in the User Guide.
Other than that, its a great little TV.

Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse [PC]
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse [PC]
Offered by Stationery.747
Price: 48.50

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a mouse, and it works., 7 Sep 2013
Actually, it works very well, but the wireless range is not that good.
My old Logitech mouse eventually went on strike after more than 10 years of faithful service, so another Logitech was the obvious choice. I plugged the wireless dongle into a USB socket on the rear of my tower, about 1.5mtrs from the mouse; it worked but was rather jittery and not at all nice to use for CAD. Since I had a USB repeater on my monitor I plugged it into that instead, and now it works perfectly. The dongle is now less than a 1mtr away.
It's very comfortable to use (being full sized and nicely contoured), but I do wish there was more information about the extra buttons on the side.
Overall I'm very pleased with it.

Afunta(tm) Artificial Leather Keyboard Case with Micro-usb Plug for 7 Inch Tablets, Not Mini-usb Plug
Offered by Wonder-Mart
Price: 4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value - it does exactly what it says on the tin!, 7 Sep 2013
I chose it because it had the micro-USB plug that fits directly into the Nexus without an adaptor.
It protects my Nexus 7 and provides a real keyboard. The only thing I'm not totally delighted with is the white stitching - black would be better.
I still can't see how they can do it for the price. Everybody I've shown it to priced it at more than 10x what it actually cost.

The first thing I did when I got my Nexus was to enter my WiFi key. It's comprised of 43 totally random characters and became a nightmare to enter with the virtual keyboard. After losing my way for the 3rd time I attached the keyboard (I should have done that straight away) and was then able to complete the job easily.
Do yourself a favour and get one. Like the famous advert - "It does exactly what it says on the tin".

2.0MP USB 8LED Digital Microscope Endoscope 25X~400X Video Camera Zoom Magnifier
Offered by FamilyMall (8-23 shipping days)
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars It certainly doesn't work for me., 6 Jun 2013
The magnified image is nice and clear but the stand is very flimsy and the microscope just clips on to it - it also just falls off with slightest movement of the rather stiff cable.
The LED brightness is controlled by a little wheel on the cable switch, but it's so close to the microscope that using it moves the microscope and sometimes pushes it off the stand.
There are two apps supplied, but they seem at variance with each other. In one, a small image is shown in a corner of the window, but enlarging the window does nothing to the size of the image. The other one showed an image that was upside down and back-to-front, but it had options to correct this. Unfortunately, correcting it caused the other app to show upside down and back-to-front. Worse still, it did the same to the image from my Logitech webcam.
I don't recommend it.

PANASONIC Breadmaker Teflon coated paddle/Kneader - SD252 etc.
PANASONIC Breadmaker Teflon coated paddle/Kneader - SD252 etc.
Offered by SJD Spares
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin., 6 Jun 2013
I couldn't believe how effective it is. The original paddle stuck every time and left a large hole in the loaf when it was finally removed. This one just slips out and leaving just a tiny hole.
I highly recommend it.

Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)
Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL Page turner, 6 Jun 2013
An interesting and unusual plot with a punishing title. It's fast paced and an easy read; it had me hooked from the start.

TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger
Offered by Sunsfair
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My YouView box is now WiFi, 17 April 2013
My YouView box has only an Ethernet cable connection, and PowerLine adaptors didn't work properly in my house. The WR702N was easy to configure, and works perfectly. It's very small and, because it uses the YouView USB socket for its power supply, is very unobtrusive. Although an external power supply was included in the very reasonable price, it wasn't needed with my YouView box.

Page: 1 | 2