Profile for Rob > Reviews

Lee Mack - Going Out Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Mack
Offered by Lifes Essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars Haha, yawn, 5 Jan 2011
Lee Mack is a funny man, in fact on his last DVD 'Live' a fantastically funny man. However on this he comes across as a mediocre commedian. He never really hits the spot and whilst making me gently raise the corners of my mouth never was I doubled over in laughter.

It struck me that this was very much like when you go to the Edinburgh festival and see one of the random stand up acts and walk away feeling nothing, you don't feel fantastically entertained like you want to tell all your friends to go see him and neither do you feel like you have wasted you time and want to tell all those people you secretly don't like to go see him.

I like Lee Mack and would love to see another DVD that made me laugh as much as 'Live', and for that DVD will certainly buy his next one, however if I had just seen this I certainly wouldn't bother.

Just Cause (Xbox 360)
Just Cause (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

3.0 out of 5 stars I would love to like this game, 28 April 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Cause (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I like this game or at least I think I do, it might be that I just want to like it. Its got so many nice touches and tries really hard to build on a lets face it a very repetitive formula. I like the idea of liberating the island in a mock revolution style, but the story is so painfully boring, it should be so exciting and so involving but I have skipped all apart from the first 5 cut scenes because frankly I just don't give a damn. Its so easy as well, I haven't used anything but the pistols throughout the game and the missions could be completed by Big Brother contestants after they have had thier weekly supply of alcohol, they really are that basic.

Plus what really gets me is the achievements for completing the 7th mission doesn't come til you have completed the 8th mission and the one for completing the 14th mission doesn't come til after you complete the 16th or 17th mission.

Also the island, great it is massive, but I once went on a two week holiday of the Norwegian fjords, the first day I was amazed by the glaciers and beautiful countryside and fjords, the second day I had unpacked my Dreamcast and did not leave it for the rest of the two weeks, its great having beautiful scenary but don't make it look all the same if you don't want people wishing they had never bothered.

Puzzle
Puzzle
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, if a little soft, 3 April 2008
This review is from: Puzzle (Audio CD)
I have previous Biffy Clyro albums and agree they are excellent, I also agree with the people that state this is vastly different. Reading the reviews of this album shows that Biffy have polarised peoples opinions.

I think that peoples main problem is that they have become popular, they get played on the radio a lot and are not this little underground cult band anymore, there are some dodgy songs on this album but every album has one or two ("folding stars" comes to mind). It is also a little softer than I would have personally hoped for but it is also as catchy as herpes, the lyrics at certain points are weak but at other times are amazing.

The start of "Living is a problem..." is slightly comical but its also unexpected (and we wouldn't want a band to keep churning our the expected) and the song feels so good when it explodes it feels so so good. "Machines" is incredibly moving with incredibly touching lyrics, especially if you have been through a similar experience to Simon Neill. "Who's got a Match?" is a pure pop song, but oh what a pop song.

This album has a lot to offer to people new to Biffy Clyro, fans of the indie genre, fans of rock music, fans of metal (who have a softer inside) but you do need to come into it with an open mind. The big problem for the Biffy fans who hate it is they are trying something new, but wouldn't life be boring if everyone always did the same thing.

Virtua Tennis 3 (Xbox 360)
Virtua Tennis 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by MDS Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars An awesome tennis experience, 1 April 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am not really a person who plays sport games a lot. I did however absolutey adore Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 on the Sega Dreamcast and felt it was one of a few (crazy taxi, shenmue and metropolis street racer being the others in my opinion) truely classic games to grace that console. So when Virtua Tennis 3 came out I was immediately tempted but held off purchasing as I have not known many sports games that have great longetivity or a truely involving single player. However I was completely wrong to hold off this game is an exhilerating experience and completely immersive. I have also found that my girlfriend who rarely plays games that don't involve Johnny Depp and hates tennis has become completely addicted and in some cases way more competitive than even John McEnroe, I honestly believe she has never cared so much about a game.

The career mode is fantastic, creating your player working your way through the year calender and up the rankings, playing mini games and practicing techniques to improve your overall ability. It actually feels like they have really thought about how to make this game attractive to the solo player. You feel a real sense of accomplishment winning some of the higher trophies and it is completely immersive.

The graphics are also beautiful and it is amazing fun multiplayer. (I do not have Xbox Live so am unable to comment on the Live experience.) The only areas I feel it is slightly let down is the music, which is the same for every game and grates ever so slightly especially as you start to get addicted. This however can be combated by turning it down in the settings.

There has been a lot of complaints that the players dive to easily but this does only happen if you are too far away from the ball to hit it, as in real tennis if you cannot reach the ball you will have to dive to hit it.

A fantastic game for absolutley anyone. It comes highly recommended.

Teachers Complete Series 1-4 [DVD]
Teachers Complete Series 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful gem of British comedy, 26 Mar 2008
I bought this having watched series 4 during my first year at uni and remembering finding it absolutely hilarious. I didn't know what to expect from the first three series as the characters where different and I half expected it to take a while to find its feet, I was very very wrong. It is an absolute gem from the word go, the first two series rotate around the lives of the same characters with a few added extras for series two, these characters slowly disappear and changes in line up appear for both season three and season four. Now this usually signifies things going very wrong but luckily (and due to the script writers genius) the new teachers are hilarious too. The only negative I would say is that the reason for certain characters disappearences is never quite explained.

Also the fringe characters stay the same throughout and their involvement in the series grows from series one to four, Bob, Liz, Carole and Claire are all genius characters and you can imagine quite true to real life. They are also incredibly loveable and you want to find out where their misadventures are heading next. This is an amazing achievement for bit part players in a series. I would strongly recommend that you purchase this as if you ever bothered turning up for school there is going to be a scenario you recognise somehow and its bound to make you smile when it happens.

Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)
Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars poor poor shoddy game, 26 Mar 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This game is abysmal. I bought it because at the time (this was before Halo 3) I was looking for a multiplayer (single console) first person shooter and this seemed to be the only option...

The multiplayer is shoddy, there is no fun to it... or skill for that matter, it becomes obvious within the first seconds of turning this game on that the developers at Rare that produced Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 are long gone, both the previous games were and still are fun and great to play... This however is not, its boring, uninvolving and frankly a bit of a mess, it looks and feels like a beta version before a games tester has come anywhere near it, if I had tested this game I would have beeged and pleaded Rare not to release this.

A good single player game in my opinion is one that pulls you in and makes you play for hours when you thought you would just play for 5 minutes, there are now many examples of geat single player games on this console, Assassins Creed, Halo 3, Crackdown, Dead Rising... even Kameo completely walks all over this abysmal mess of a game. I don't care about Joanna Dark in fact when she dies in the game I feel like laughing, I try playing the missions and after the first minute I wish that I hadn't bothered the only reason I go on to complete the missions is so I can take the disc out and put in anything... ANYTHING else. There may be many different aspects to the missions, but frankly that does not mean anything if they are all executed so poorly that you would rather repeatedly shove a needle in your eye than play them...

It ultimately feels rushed and I get the feeling that Microsoft may have been desperate for a big name at release but there is no excuse for this. I know it also received rave reviews from certain magazines and people but I get the feeling that its people trying to get behind the xbox360 and support the release games, but come on now its been long enough we have enough great games to admit that our big release game was an abomination.

There are worse games I'm certain, I just really struggle to think of any...

The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought the Simpsons back for me, 1 Feb 2008
I have to admit I had little faith in this film, I thought it was going to be a disaster and I had already started to find the Simpsons TV show slightly stale and to be honest it seems to get less funny the longer it goes on. I was however a huge Simpsons fan growing up and when my brother got it on DVD for Christmas and said I should watch it I thought what was no harm in giving it a go.

So I put the DVD in the player and prepared to be disappointed, but this film suprised me greatly. It is funny, its builds upon the characters in the TV series and it is immensely watchable. Homer is allowed to further develop the charcter that is so well loved, a deeply flawed individual with a deep love for his family and a desire to make them proud. Lets face it we are all a bit like Homer from time to time, we say the wrong thing and do the wrong things because we just do not think.

There have been a lot of negative reviews of this film and maybe they are people who watch the newer series of the Simpsons and find them hillarious, but whatever your opinion its worth a go, you will most likely find yourself laughing at least once. I'd especially recommend it if you have given up on the Simpsons series as repeats of the same jokes a million times does slight grate on your nerves as this at least offers some new angles for a wonderful group of characters.

Crash of the Titans (Xbox 360)
Crash of the Titans (Xbox 360)
Offered by SelectGames

3.0 out of 5 stars It was never going to be Halo 3..., 25 Jan 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is far from perfect, but it does what it sets out to do. It is not meant to be revolutionary or to be fair even original. Crash of the Titans is just an extension of the previous incarnations. Now you may think this all sounds pretty negative, but it does the most important thing when creating a cartoony platformer aimed at a younger market it is fun and easy to play, it will not stretch your mind and it is exceptionally linear but it makes you smile and it is infinately playable.

If you have younger family members or loved ones whose idea of fun is not completing Halo 3 on Legendary then this is probably a good place to get them involved, and to be honest there are not a lot of games that nayone can play and enjoy.

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great great fun but no longevity, 22 Jan 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought my Wii after my little brother got one and believed it was the most fun you could have. We got Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, Trauma Centre & Wii Play as well as the bundled Wii Sports. For the first two weeks it was unstopable fun but past that period the fun factor began to deteriorate and boredom began to set in. It is an absolutely amazing reveloution in the way we play games at home and may be worthwhile exercise to those who don't see day light often but it is failing in longevity. My Wii motes still have their original batteries in them (and believe me this is no testiment to the strength of the batteries) and it has not been played on for the past 2 months. It is great for young children and as a family console but if you like your games you are probably best off going for the Xbox 360, which my brother a hardened Nintendo fan has now purchased and plays on more than his Wii.

Its not all bad but its definately not for everyone or for traditional game fans. I will be sticking with my Xbox360 from now on and until they release something truely outstanding I believe my Wii will remain unplayed.

Toshiba 26C3030DB - 26" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview
Toshiba 26C3030DB - 26" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a decent price, 14 Jan 2008
This TV is great if like me you want something that isn't too bad on the wallet and provides you with a good all round package. It hasd a good picture and seems to me to have a good set of speakers on it, although I live in a realitively small flat so I can't have it too loud. I'm a dedicated xbox360 fan and it seems to work excellently with that. The only downsides I can see is that it does seem to get quite hot especially at the top vents, which is a bit of a nuiscence if you want to balance your wii infared sensor there and it isn't 1080p, but apart from that its an excellent TV.