Profile for John Phillips > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Case-Mate Pop Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 - Black
Case-Mate Pop Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but, 7 May 2013
Of the half a doze or so S4 cases I have tried this is the best overall quality and fit so far. It also looks quite good, the rubber edge pieces are raised slightly above the plastic back so when the phone is laid on its back there is a space between the back and the surface it is placed on, i.e. doesn;t block the speaker port. However, the shiny black surface of the back is easily marked, fa too easily in my opinion, I tried to wipe away at a finger mark with a dry lint free wipe and had to rub quite hard and when I had finished it looked as if had unevenly scratched the back with fine emery paper. Not a good look. It also attracts dust like iron filings to a magnet. So good protection for your mobile without being too bulky but will, in my opinion, soon look pretty shabby. I have given it four stars as I bought more for its protection of my mobile when out and about and it is more than good enough for that. But if long term looks mattered I would knock off a star..

NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi EDG200.B Coffee and Beverage Machine - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Everyone else seems to like it but it's not the machine I dislike, 18 April 2013
A friend asked what I wanted for xmas and I said a coffee machine. I meant a filter coffee maker that I could just leave sitting on the side and help myself to when I wanted. Instead he gave me this, initially I thought neat, until I tried the coffees. Now the machine itself, even with the noise of the pump, is quite neat. Pity the same can't be said for the coffees available. For I have tried every one and at best a couple are meh. Does anyone but Nescafe make pods that will fit this machine so that I can look for a drinkable cup of coffee before I throw/give it away.

Android Seven / Best Android Launcher Demo
Android Seven / Best Android Launcher Demo

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time, 26 Sep 2012
Installed it and opened it which immediately caused my Samsung SII to hang. Whatever I tried it either hung or crashed the SII so that I had to hard reboot to get free.

Hubble Space Telescope
Hubble Space Telescope

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hubble Space Telescope (App)
Doesn't work at all on Galaxy S2 continuously closes even tried a reboot just in case but no lick. So far my experience of the Amaxon app store is a very negative one with the number if failing apps.

The Genius of Design [DVD] [2010]
The Genius of Design [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Denis Lawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Full Broadcast Versions, 8 Sep 2012
Note: this is not the full ~59 min per episode broadcast version but the usual ten minute short Acorn media version. If you haven't seen the full version you probably won't notice it but I found it grating. Originally the Amazon details page showed 300 minutes, now corrected to 243 minutes, so I thought these were the full versions. But as the difference grates and I already have a recording off the TV, I just like to support quality programmes but not Acorn Media's habit of cutting off ten minutes, I returned them.

The one good thing out of this is Amazing-tv-dvds, who were as good as you expect an Amazon Marketplace seller to be, reimbursed me without question once I had explained the problem and as soon as I informed them they were in the post back to them. At least that is one company I will happily use in future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2012 5:59 PM BST

Meerkat Manor: Series 1 [DVD]
Meerkat Manor: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Nighy
Offered by All We Ever Look For

1.0 out of 5 stars Not all 13 episodes of Series 1., 31 July 2012
I bought this, thinking from the Amazon description (i.e. 300 minutes), that it was the full 13 episodes just recorded on 3 discs. It only 22-23 minutes per episode after all. However, on reciving it, it is actually three disks Ep1-3, Ep4-6 and Ep7-9, respectively and no Episodes 10-13. Fortunately, it being an Amazon reseller, it was easy to return it for a refund to get the 4 disk set, which is all 13 episodes, i.e. aproximately 300 minutes and not the approximate 210 minutes of this 3 disk set.

While the programmes themselves are good, I can't give it mire than one star for the misleading description. Plus, the Studio that produces it also incorrectly says that the three disk set is 300 minute and not having taken a photo of the back of the box showing 210 minutes, there is no easy way to get Amazon to update the details.

2 WAY TV AERIAL SPLITTER MALE TO FEMALE
2 WAY TV AERIAL SPLITTER MALE TO FEMALE
Offered by Electromart-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky, 18 July 2012
The first must have been Friday afternoon or a Monday morning job, as inserting a cable actually broke the stem on the cable's plug. On checking, there was metal flashing around the inside of one socket and a badly fitted spring becuase of it and the cetnral female stem was solid with no give in it.

Fair play, emailed Electrosmart early Saturday evening and in less than a couple of hours got an email back offering a replacement or a refund. Took the offer for a replacemtn and got it Tuesday. This second one is fine.

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Jun 2012
Excellent battery, while 15% more capacity than the standard, after nearly two weeks use it gives a minimum of 20% more time in identical use than the standard battery when they both start from being fully charged. As others have noted, it improves noticeably after a few near full charge/discharge cycles. Well worth the money and is now the default battery in my SII.

FYI: I got mine from LaptopMate via Amazon.

Anker Battery Charger and Data Sync Cradle / Desktop Docking Station with Spare Battery Charging Slot and USB port for Samsung Galaxy S II S2 GT-I9100

1.0 out of 5 stars Excelent piece of kit, 29 Jun 2012
I got mine from LaptopMate via Amazon, see last paragraph.

I originally gave this a very good review after a week or so of use, but that didn't last. For 5 weeks later the USB plug that connects to the SII has become so loose in the SII's charger socket that it no longer charges the SII when the SII is placed on the cradle, however I fiddle. Then again, I have noticed it getting loose over the last few weeks. I had to unplug the charger's cable from the cradle and plug it directly into the SII and the USB connector on the same USB charger cable still fits tightly into the SII. Ah well, a waste of £15 and in the bin it goes as it's not worth the hassle of sending it back. Shame really, as their batteries, he says with crossed fingers, are great. Can anyone recommmend one that will last a bit longer, even if it costs a few pounds more.

Well, fair play to LapTopMate, for even though I had already binned the faulty unit, they offered me a replacement or a full refund, which is now being processed as I just got the email from Amazon. Thus while disappointed with the unit lasting just over a month, I am more than happy to recommend LapTopMate's Customer Service and will have no problem dealing with them in future.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 5:31 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 29 Mar 2012
Bought this as my tube of AS3 had dried up and I only had some standard thermal paste lying around and I needed to replace the graphic card on my Rock laptop. The graphic card's chips uses a set of thermal pads but the paste is needed for the CPU when reinstalling the fan and cooling assembly.

The new card came before the thermal paste, my fault, so initially I used the standard paste I had lying around. Normal (browsing, checking emails, using Windows Explorer, watching an AVI video with KMPlayer types of thing) usage CPU temperature with the standard paste was 58-62C with idle around 56C.

When the AS5 arrived and I used it, initially there was a ~5C difference between AS5 and the standard paste in similar usage (53-57C & 51C idle). But after a few days bedding in, (common with many of the more sophisticated formulations of thermal pastes) I lost another couple of degrees across the board (51-55C & 40 idle). Note, previous to replacing the graphic card, normal CPU temps, even though it had a better than standard paste on the CPU, was closer to the temps seen with the standard paste.

Other bonus points, it has made a difference to the maximum temperature seen. Previously, when e.g. encoding video, which would push the CPU to max for long periods, max temperature would get up to around 88-90C. Now doing the exact same task, I never get above 83-84C. This is also reflected in the fact that now, even when doing some heavy lifting with the laptop, it is noticeable that the fan now runs for far shorter periods than it used to, i.e. the temperature drops far quicker. Though I have not changed any of the fan control settings in the BIOS or the on board SW I use.

All in all, money well spent and a bargain at a fiver and a very pleasant surprise as it has produced far better results than I expected.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5