Profile for Paul Lonsdale > Reviews

Content by Paul Lonsdale

Paul Lonsdale

Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears (Singularity Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 April 2015
Very good and scarily prescient. The author clearly knows the industry and you could just imagine this happening. Well written with great, believable characters and very difficult to put down when it gets started. Already read the other books in the series by the time I was asked for this review and they are all very good sci-fi but I think this one's the best.

Becoming Human (The Exilon 5 Trilogy Book 1)
Becoming Human (The Exilon 5 Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Best sci-fi book I've read in ages, 6 Feb. 2015
I really, really enjoyed this book. I've been reading Sci-fi for over 30 years and without doubt I'd put this in my top 10 immediately. The character building and scene setting are exquisite, developing slowly, piece by piece and by the end I couldn't put it down. I feel this is the mark of an intelligent writer; one who can start to tell a story and even without much happening, you're hooked and you didn't even know it. I've read dozens of self-published authors, sadly most of which are the equivalent of 'straight to DVD'; they're okay to pass the time but instantly forgotten. However, I think this author and this series will be something else entirely and I've just bought the next two books in the series and can't wait to get started.
If you like intelligent, thought-proving sci-fi then buy it because you will love it and if you just generally prefer the 'Cowboys and Indians' in space with anthropomorphic aliens, then buy it anyway and try reading something grown up instead.

Keystone
Keystone

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive debut novel, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Keystone (Kindle Edition)
Excellent debut novel from Mr Talbot: The character building is superb and it's really nice to have 3D characters rather than some of the 2D cardboard-cutout characters that you get in the ubiquitous 'Cowboys-and-Indians-in-space' sci-fi that seems to popular with self-published authors. The first half of the book is sublime in how it develops the background and builds tension but I feel it loses a little of that focus in the second half, probably because the action just explodes page after page. It's a testament to the author's writing skill that can keep you engaged even though very little seems to happening. However, that's only nit-picking because I really enjoyed this book and it cries out for a sequel (which I hope is forthcoming). Regardless, I think Mr Talbot will develop into a superb author and I'll look forward to reading his future material. If you want a change from the 'chisel-jawed space ship captain battling aliens' and would like to read something a bit more grown up, then buy this book

Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Black)
Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb e-book reader but everything else is disappointing, 12 Jan. 2015
This was a generous and unexpected Xmas gift so I shouldn't sound ungrateful (trust me, I'm not) but if I had bought this myself I'd be asking for my money back. I've had a Kindle for years and as an E-reader this is a superb, much improved piece of kit (hence why it's got 2 stars and not 1). The rest however, falls very short . I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world but I know how to set up and use any type of smartphone, laptop, TV etc. without referring to the user manual - except for the more advanced facilities - but this Kindle is doing my head in. Nothing seems intuitive to me at all. For example, I tried to load my music onto it via drag and drop from my PC. Seems simple yes? No, Kindle doesn't like WMA files, so they don't appear, which accounts for about 90% of my music library, so I've now got to try and convert WMA to MP3 or similar, which I know can be done but I don't think I can now be bothered. Also, everything on it seems geared to take you to Amazon to download some more of their services, especially 'Primetime' and watching videos (which I wouldn't use it for anyway) and it even has adverts every time I wake it from standby but the bit that did it for me was when I was trying to locate a restaurant via the Google search engine. Once found, I touched the screen to bring up the map and it took me to the Amazon app store where I had to download an Amazon Store 'map' app (free) and then type the address again. Amazon seems to hate Google, so any 'app' other than an Amazon one has to be put on my PC first and then dragged across and apparently it's not guaranteed to work even then.
The built in email programme is useless and I've now disconnected it because you cannot block delete a section of emails; every email has to be ticked individually to select for deletion and as I get about 200 emails per day - 95% of which are junk - it takes forever to clear the inbox. The user help guide is pointless: even typing 'create shortcut' (and other variations) to try and put website short cuts on the home screen brings no results.
As I said earlier, I'm sure that some of these problems may be my inability to decipher its software (and my general impatience) and other users probably have no issues at all but at this moment I'm just a little disappointed (and a lot fed up) and have neither the time - nor can I be arsed - to play with it any more, so I'll just use it as an E-reader, which is shame.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2015 10:06 AM GMT

The Shadow Of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy Book 1)
The Shadow Of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but hard work, 11 Jan. 2015
Liked the story and characters but God it got confusing, especially towards the end. A lot of people gave this 5 stars (they must be more patient and intelligent than me) but I've only given it 2 because it became so annoying trying to work through the unending myriad twits and turns and to be honest I started just speed reading just to finish. Pity really because I really enjoyed the depth of the characters. If you like really deep, convoluted, twisty-turny stories, then this for you but I found it annoying after awhile.

Blood Skies (Book 1)
Blood Skies (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fantastic, 9 Sept. 2014
This is a review, not just for this book, but for the entire series - it's brilliant. A science fantasy set in a post-apocalyptic type Earth; not a nuclear war but a convergence with something called 'The Black' , which has changed Earth's landscape and allowed an entire host of zombies, wraiths, vampires, warlocks, witches (to name just a few) to exist, but don't think for one second it's just another 'vampire' book - it's a million miles away from that. The author sets a bleak and haunting vision of Earth and it's not for the faint of heart and the evocative and dark imagery is, at times, mesmerising.

I'm not going to give a synopsis of the story but I just want to say that I've rarely found an author that can produce such complete, intriguing and fantastically three-dimensional characters as Steven has (and I've read all the greats of Sci-Fi) and as soon as I'd read book 1, I wanted to read book 2 (I've now finished the series of 7). It's not one continuing saga, as the earlier books have their own theme and story, but they soon build into a epic voyage into a dark, dark world. Suffice to say that the main character, Eric Cross, is one of the best hero/anti-hero's that I've ever come across and many of his colleagues that accompany him (those that survive anyway) are not simply there to provide a bit of interplay; they are full characters in themselves

If you like 'cowboys and Indians' in space, shoot 'em up sci-fi, this may not be your cup of tea (especially as the author has the knack of killing off some of the characters when you least expect it) but if you like your reading to have more depth and power, then definitely give this series a go.

City of Scars (The Skullborn Trilogy, Book 1)
City of Scars (The Skullborn Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but read it slowly, 9 Sept. 2014
I've given this book 4 stars purely because I've just read part 2 of the Skullborn series and If i'd reviewed part 1 beforehand, it would only have got 3 (at best). I love Steven's books, especially his style of dark, evocative imagery (def not children, books) and the way his characters are very much three-dimensional (some SF books don't even off a one-dimensional character) but I'm sorry to say that I spent the vast majority of this book being slightly confused due to the sheer number of characters and plot lines. (Probably my fault to a degree - I read quickly and find it tiresome to use my Kindle to backtrack a character)

Steven has invented a brand new world (as opposed to his post-apocalyptic Earth genre), which I feel needs a little bit more history and backdrop to identify and place the story and characters in their proper positions. I'm not going to give a synopsis of the story (not enough time) but it's certainly going somewhere and eventually it begins to come together, offering glimpses of a series that I just won't want to put down until I've finished it.
I would recommend Steven's book to anyone that likes moody and intense sci-fiction/fantasy (as opposed to the 'Cowboys and Indians' in space genre) and this is no exception but I would just suggest that you take your time and read it slowly at first and then buy the second installment and strap in for the ride..

Path of Bones (The Skullborn Trilogy, Book 2)
Path of Bones (The Skullborn Trilogy, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth sticking with, 9 Sept. 2014
As a massive fan of the 'Blood Skies' series, I was looking forward to reading Steven's new stuff and whilst I nearly didn't buy this book, I'm glad I stuck with it because it's a big improvement on the first of the Skullborn series. The problem I had was the sheer number of characters in book 1:City of Scars, along with (initially) a rather convoluted and confusing story. This may, in part, be my problem due to the speed that I read and the fact that I find it tiresome to keep trying to backtrack a character on my Kindle (I don't have the same problem with a print version).
However, I'm glad I persevered because it's all becoming clearer; the main characters and their history and roles are more defined and I can't wait for part 3

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of science-based science fiction, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Loved it. If you like a good bit of 'science' (I do) with your science fiction, then you'll like this. I've not looked at the author's biography but he must have some history in the rocket industry because the attention to detail is fantastic, which makes the story line (basically Robinson Crusoe on Mars) feel very plausible. All the characters are interesting and the main character, Mark Watney, is fantastic - I was rooting for him from the opening page. The story moves at a good pace, switching nicely between Earth and Mars. I recommended to a friend and he read it in one go! I'll definitely keep an eye out for more of Mr Weir's work

Creation: The Origin of Life / The Future of Life
Creation: The Origin of Life / The Future of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Mar. 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Eye opening and very thought provoking; especially part 2: the future of life. As a nutritionist, I try and read a lot about physiology, cell biology and genetics but I've learnt more from this book than anything else I've read in years. Just enough 'science' to keep it interesting but not too much, which makes it easier to read and the author's writing style keeps the book very entertaining as well as informative. I'll certainly look out for more of his work.