ARRAY(0xaed07fe4)

Profile for littlepinkstars44 > Reviews

Content by littlepinkstars44

littlepinkstars44 (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Frost Kisses (Bitter Frost #4 of The Frost Series)
Frost Kisses (Bitter Frost #4 of The Frost Series)
Price: 1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 20 Jan 2012
This is the fourth book in the Frost series, I am so glad to be finally catching up with it as well!

This time around we see Breena finally discover the truth about who is really behind the war in Feyland between the winter and summer courts. Breena, Kian and Logan put their differences aside and work together to bring down the pixies and put a stop to the war.

SQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
It's all I can really, I love love loved this book!
Just when I feel as if I actually know the characters and all the goings on in Feyland, Kailin Gow turns things topsy turvy with Frost Kisses!

After coming back from the dead, literally. Breena is more sure of herself, her magic and is a much stronger person. I love strong female leads in YA, so Breena being even more confident in herself and her magic was a big plus in my books!
We also get to see more of the Wolf Fey and Logan, who is really starting to grow on me after reading this book . I was always team Kian from the start, but now I'm not so sure. Logan has a lot of qualities that Kian doesn't, and vice versa. Oh it's just such a confusing love triangle!
I love all the romantic drama though, to me that only adds more excitement to the plot.

We also get to see a bit more of the evil pixies in this book. Yes I can read, I know what they have been planning. But at the same time I feel bad for them, I really hope they Fairys and Pixies can come to some kind of agreement by the end of this series.
Maybe I'm just in too nice of a mood today, but I want Feyland to be filled with happiness and no more wars.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and am super excited to get my hands on the next book in the series!

Silver Frost (Bitter Frost #3 of The Frost Series)
Silver Frost (Bitter Frost #3 of The Frost Series)
Price: 1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 20 Jan 2012
Silver Frost is the third book in the Frost series by Kailin Gow.
This time around we are back in Feyland and with the Summer Queen dead Breena is crowned the new Summer Queen. Although she is unsure if she can trust the previous queen's advisor's they are acting strange around her. Breena must come up with a plan to stop the war between the Winter and Summer court once and for all and she isn't sure who to turn to for help.

I loved this book! The plot and character development was much better than in the previous two books in this series. We also got to see more of the Winter Court and it's royal family and get to know them a bit better, which I really enjoyed.
There is of course that crazy love triangle going on as with the previous books, and the situation only getting better and more juicier as the series goes on. Logan is starting to grow on me, and I really feel for him. But I still love Kian and believe he and Breena should be together.

The book is fast paced and action packed, which I like in my books. It makes is easier to get enthralled in the story and forget the world going on around you. Silver Frost is no exception to that, I was truly swept into a different world with this book and read it in one sitting as I just couldn't bear to pull myself away from the story.

With each new book, this series just gets better and better!
This book was the turn around book in the series, up till this point the books were good but this one was great! It really pulled me in and made me feel like I knew and understood the characters better.
The ending left me completely gob-smacked, I literally was screaming at my Kindle and could not believe what I was reading!
I can't wait to see what the rest of this series brings!

Forever Frost (Bitter Frost, #2) (A YA Fantasy about the Fey) (Frost Series)
Forever Frost (Bitter Frost, #2) (A YA Fantasy about the Fey) (Frost Series)
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 20 Jan 2012
This is the second book in the Frost series, I read the first book Bitter Frost way back at the start of last year.
Having since bought the rest of the series on my Kindle, I decided it was time to get back into them!

Forever Frost starts right where Bitter Frost ended, with a quick recap over the events that happened, thank goodness! I don't think I would have remembered all the goings on in Bitter Frost, it had been so long since I read it.
Breena is stuck trying to figure out what to do to solve the conflict between the Winter and Summer courts and how to get both court's hostages back home safe and sound without starting another war!

In this book we see more individual sides to each of the characters, and as a reader get to know them a bit better and learn about their history.
I really loved finding out more about Breena's mum and just how she managed to get herself wrapped up in this crazy fey world. Shasta is a brilliant, strong female character, she brings just what the story needs at just the right time!

The writing in this book is pretty straightforward but also mesmerising at the same time. It is so easy to get swept up between the pages and forget the real world passing around you. I think I read this book over two sittings, and found it so hard to tear myself away from it!

I did enjoy this book more than the first one, it has been a long time since I read that though. But I do remember that I thought it was just ok. Forever Frost however is the true making of this series, it kept me gripped onto the edge of my seat waiting to find out what was going to happen. It's a lovely, thought provoking and enchanting book.
I will say this though - total cliffhanger ending! I loved it though, it got me really excited to start the next book straight away!

Undercurrent: A Siren Novel (Siren Novels)
Undercurrent: A Siren Novel (Siren Novels)
by Tricia Rayburn
Price: 11.08

3.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 11 Jan 2012
Undercurrent is the second book is the Siren series and picks up a few months after the events in the first book, Siren.
Vanessa and her family are safely back home and away from Winter Harbour. Paige having lost most of her family has moved in with them as well.

This time around the focus is on making sure Winter Harbour stays frozen so that the sirens don't re-appear.
Along the way there is a lot of boyfriend drama between Vanessa and Simon. She doesn't know if he really loves her any more or if it is only because of her Siren powers. Vanessa also discovers the truth about her family, her past and the secrets behind why her birth mother has been kept from her for all these years.

To me the story did seem to drag on a bit and it was the same whining over and over again from Vanessa, all about if Simon loves her or not. However in between all these moments, the rest of the book was great! The plot was unbelievable and much better than the first book in my opinion.
I liked the new characters that were introduced, Tricia did a great job of tying them in with the storyline and allowing the reader to see enough of them to get to know them.

There was also a few humours moments in the book as well, especially when Vanessa had to meet with a male college scout and he practically offered both Vanessa and Paige a full free ride, solely because of her siren abilities.
I enjoyed seeing a different side to Paige in this book as well, she does come across as a strong and likeable character.

Even though there was too much boyfriend drama for me in this book I did enjoy it and am looking forward to reading more about Vanessa in the future.

Lost In Time: Number 6 in series (Blue Bloods)
Lost In Time: Number 6 in series (Blue Bloods)
by Melissa de la Cruz
Price: 5.29

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 10 Jan 2012
Lost in Time is the sixth book in the Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz.
Going by my fellow reviewers opinions, I think this is one series you either love or hate and there is no in between.

I really love this series, it was one of the first YA Paranormals I ever read and I was hooked instantly!
In this instalment we see Schuyler and Jack come to terms with what their bonding ceremony really means. Not just for them but also for Mimi, Jack's intended bond mate. All three must face the consequences of breaking a tradition which has withstood the test of time, until now.

We also get some glimpses into Schuyler's mother, Alegra's past! At long last we finally get to meet Ben, Schuyler's father and discover what it was about him that made Alegra so drawn to him and fall for him enough to break her own bond as well.

As well as all the family and relationship drama, Schuyler and Jack are on the hunt for the truth about where the gates to hell are and how members of the underworld are managing to sneak out undetected and capturing girls to bring back to bear them children. Their journey takes them to Egypt this time around where they discover something they never bargained for.

I did really enjoy this book, it took me a few chapters to really get into it although I think that is because it's been a while since I read any of the Blue Bloods books. I needed to get my head around all the characters again. There was a stark difference in this book compared with the previous Blue Bloods books. For one it was much longer, which I prefer! There was lots more action scenes and more details in this book than in any of the previous ones.

Mimi also comes into her own in Lost in Time, in the past she hasn't been portrayed as the most genuine and likeable character in the series, but this plot shines a whole new light on her and her new responsibilities. She faces up to the truth and realises what has to be done in order to save not only herself but the entire vampire community.

The plot itself is completely unpredictable, which makes a nice change from some of the previous books in the series. There are a few new characters introduced and I'm not sure if they will play an important role in the finale of the series.

Needless to say I really did love this book, I cannot believe how it ended and I am left itching for book seven which is also the final book in the series!

The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 9 Jan 2012
I have had this book sitting on my shelf for almost a full year, and for some reason I just hadn't read it yet.
I have no idea why as I love The Mortal Instruments series!! After buying Clockwork Prince, I decided it was time to finally start reading the series!

The story is set in Victorian England and follows sixteen year old Tessa Gray as she makes her voyage to London from America to meet up with her brother. Little does she know that it is all a set up and she is soon kidnapped by the Dark Sisters and shown that she has a very rare power, she can change herself into the glamour of another person.

After escaping the Dark Sisters, Tessa befriends the London Shadowhunter community, who pledge help her track down her brother and try to find out some truths about Tessa's past in order to discover more about her unique power.

I did really enjoy this book, I don't think it was a great as The Mortal Instruments series. To be fair though there has been 4 of those books and I've grown to love the characters and this is only the first book in the new series, so I guess only time will tell.

At first I wasn't too sure about the setting for the book, Victorian England seems to be overused somewhat in YA fiction these days. Cassandra does manage to keep it fresh and exciting though and the descriptive language used throughout the book places the reader right into the heart of the story.

I did like these new characters, I think out of them all Tessa is my favourite. She is very different to Clary in The Mortal Instruments, and at the same time they have some very similar qualities. I'm glad that Cassandra didn't just write another Mortal Instruments but set in London, as that was what I originally assumed this book to be like.

The plot is exciting, fast paced and keeps the reader on their toes. There are a few twists and turns along the way which are well placed and well thought out. I didn't see most of them coming at all.

Overall, I still prefer The Mortal Instruments series but this is defiantly not one to be missed either!

The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince
The Infernal Devices 2: Clockwork Prince
by Cassandra Clare
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 9 Jan 2012
This is the second book in The Infernal Devices series, a prequel series to Cassandra's Mortal Instruments.
I started reading this one literally as soon I finished the last page in Clockwork Angel, I am so glad that I read them back to back, as I don't think I could have bared to wait any longer for answers.
Now I am stuck in the same predicament, having finished Clockwork Prince I don't want to wait ages to get my hands on Clockwork Princess!

Clockwork Prince picks up right where we left Tessa and the gang in Clockwork Angel, if the London institute do not bring Mortmain down and soon, Charlotte could loose the institute to the Lightwood family.

Tessa is a much better character in this book, the reader gets to see her true nature and personality as well as her quick thinking and great wit in this book. She isn't portrayed as the damsel in distress any more, as she was in Clockwork Angel. I really liked that change as I hate weak female leads in books, I think it sends out completely wrong messages to teens reading the books.

We also get to see a different side to both Will and Jem in this book, I think the biggest change would have to be in Will. After discovering the truth about his past I felt like I just wanted to grab him out of the book, give him a big hug and tell him everything will be alright!

I enjoyed the plot line in this book much more than I did with Clockwork Angel, maybe thats because I feel like I know more about the characters now. Perhaps it was because I loved all the angst and the love triangle going on in this book. I also loved the fact that we get to see more of Magnus Bane in this book. He is by far one of my favourite characters in The Mortal Instruments, it was brilliant to see him popping up again.

For those not sure about which order to read these books in, I would say read at least the first three Mortal Instruments books before even starting on the Infernal Devices books. There is a lot of specific language and words used in both of these series' which you will only really understand from the Mortal Instruments. You will understand the whole concept of Shadowhunters and Downworlders much better if you read Mortal Instruments first.

I still prefer The Mortal Instruments, but The Infernal Devices and it's characters are growing on me. I'll wait to make judgement until I've read Clockwork Princess.

On another note, there is a little Easter Egg that I've been told about, In City of Bones, apparently there is a scene where Magnus is talking to Tessa and she is wearing a white dress. I haven't gone back to look, I take my source's word for it lol. But then does white not mean funeral and death in Shadowhunter world? So someone must die in Clockwork Princess and Tessa is still grieving for then in modern day New York? Possibly, it's only a theory, but have a look for yourself in City of Bones.

Soul Kissed (The Moonstone Saga (Book 1))
Soul Kissed (The Moonstone Saga (Book 1))
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 9 Jan 2012
First of all, just look at that cover! How gorgeous is that?! I am in love with this cover!!
Anyway....

Soul Kissed is book one in The Moonstone Saga by one of my favourite authors, Courtney Cole.
The Moonstone Saga is a spin-off series from her Bloodstone Saga, so if you haven't read those books I suggest you do first before picking up Soul Kissed. You can probably read this one without having previously read the Bloodstone Saga books, but it would make things a lot easier if you have read them first.
You'll understand the characters and the terminology used a bit better.

Having being in a severe state of shock and grief over one of my favourite series's from 2011 coming to end, I was excited to hear there was going to be a spin-off series. Only this time around the series focused on Empusa, the daughter of Hecate, goddess of witchcraft.
We only get to see a small glimpse of Empusa and Hecate in the Bloodstone saga and I always wanted to know more about them both and a bit more about their background story.
Soul Kissed did not disappoint on either.

The story centres on Empusa as she is on the run and hiding from her father who wants to kill her (readers of the Bloodstone Saga will know why). Empusa is cursed to drink mortal blood to survive, the only way she feels she can do this is by taking the lives of those who are about to die anyway. A frequent visitor to hospitals, one day there she comes across Brennan who captures her attention immediately.
But Brennan is not what he appears to be, he has a hidden secret, a secret that is unknown even to himself.

Someone new to Courtney's writing may be shocked at the sheer amount of mythology, history and research that goes into her books. It is something I have said time and time again about her Bloodstone Saga, and I can see myself saying again in the future about the Moonstone saga. I am a huge fan of mythology and I love the way Courtney manages to take history and mythology and blend it together, adding her own touch of flavour to it to bring together the perfect plot.

After seeing so much of the Underworld and Spirit Lands in the Bloodstone saga, I honestly did not know what to expect location wise with this book, how much more could there really be to see?
I was completely wrong on this part, Soul Kissed transports readers the underwater realm of Poseidon and the sunken city of Atlantis. It was beautifully described, right down to every last detail, making the reader feel as if they are part of the book themselves.

As with the rest of Courtney's book this one is not without it's own twists and turns, this book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire way through it. I literally could not believe what was happening to poor Empusa half of the time. I just wanted to grab her out of the pages and take her home with me to keep her safe!

As for the romance element, I loved it!
Yes it did seem to be a little two quick and almost love at first sight with Empusa and Brennan, but with the world Courtney has created and the explanation about soul mates given in this book, I can completely understand it and it makes sense to me.

The ending left me gobsmacked and I cannot wait to get my hands on book two!

Shadow Heir (Dark Swan)
Shadow Heir (Dark Swan)

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 7 Jan 2012
This is the final book in the Dark Swan series, as most of you will already know Richelle Mead is probably one of my all time favourite authors and I cannot gush about her writing enough!!

After the last book Iron Crowned and I had absolutely no clue where Richelle was going to take the ending of this series, there was so many different directions she could have gone.
I'm not going to do a summary of the book, as I don't think I could without giving away any spoilers to those who haven't caught up with the series yet.

Lets just say I loved where she ended up taking this book.
As usual the plot was full of unexpected twists which I did not see coming at all. There was one massive plot twist which actually brought tears of joy to my eyes, those who have already read the book can probably guess as to what I'm referring to.

Readers are definitely kept on their toes when reading Shadow Heir, each chapter brings something new to Eugenie's story, whether it be heartache or joy, more mystery or frustration.
With regards to the twins, you can tell that Richelle poured so much of her own heart and feelings towards her newborn son into that storyline, it was very touching.

Towards of the end of the book however I was starting to panic, I honestly didn't have a clue how the story was going to end and just how she was going to wrap up all the different plots. Richelle does manage to wrap everything up, although the ending doesn't feel like the end of the series. Unlike her Georgina Kincaid series you are left wanting more, to me it didn't feel like a definitive end to the series. She has left it almost open, this might be wishful thinking on my end, but I do hope that in the future Richelle does go back and write some more about this series, or perhaps a spin-off about the children as I would like a bit more closure on the series.

Apart from that one small little thing Shadow Heir is a brilliant book, just like all of her books.
If you haven't read this series yet I would highly recommend it!

Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles)
Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles)
by Alyxandra Harvey
Price: 5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 6 Jan 2012
I was so excited when this book arrived in the post for me to review from Bloomsbury! I was a latecomer to the Drake Chronicles series, but am actually glad of that now! I don't think I could have waited in between books to find out what was going to happen. I am so lucky to have read the first four books in the space of a week!

Bleeding Hearts is told from Lucy, Connor and Christabel's points of view. Which is a little different this time around, the past 3 books have only been told from two characters points of view. I liked this little change as it was nice to hear from Lucy again, I hadn't read her point of view since way back in book one.

Christabel is Lucy's cousin, who is living with Lucy for the time being. Although Lucy hasn't told her anything about the Drakes or vampires. Instead she lets her cousin think that her parents are just really strict because there are gangs in Violet Hill, so they both have a sunset curfew. Christabel is mistaken for Lucy and kidnapped by the new Hel-Bar leader. Connor Drake who is falling for Christabel goes after her which soon finds them both trapped in an impossible situation and neither of them know if they will survive.

I really enjoyed all the little quirks that Christabel has, especially her passion for reading! She is a really great new addition to the series and I'm looking forward to reading more about her and Connor in the future!
We do see some more of our other favourite couples in this book as well, Lucy and Nicholas, Solange and Kieran, Isabeau and Logan, Hunter and Quinn.

I'm really starting to feel like every single Drake brother is going to fall in love before this series comes to an end, I really cannot wait to see who the rest of the brothers are going to fall for!

The ending of this book left me completely shocked!
Lucy has made a completely life changing decision and Solange leaves the reader on a complete cliff-hanger!
I really cannot believe the book ended like that, I need book 5 pronto!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11