Profile for alisonja18 > Reviews

alisonja18

The Midwife of Hope River
The Midwife of Hope River

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 2 Jan. 2015
The great depression and racial tensions, the decline of the mining industry are woven into this day to day account of a midwife in the wilderness of the Appalachian mountains - hard to believe it's set less that 80 years ago!

NAVY BLUE POLKA DOT SPOT SMALL PVC OILCLOTH VINYL FABRIC KITCHEN CAFE BAR TABLE WIPECLEAN PICTURE TABLECLOTH PER METRE 100CM X 135 CM BRAND NEW CUT TO ORDER
Offered by I Want Fabric

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Oct. 2014
Fast delivery. Exactly as described.

Blood,Sweat and Teabags
Blood,Sweat and Teabags

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 30 July 2014
Took me back to the seventies when I did a stint in casualty. Easy and quick to read but held my kids interest all the way.

The New Arrival: The Heartwarming True Story of a 1970s Trainee Nurse
The New Arrival: The Heartwarming True Story of a 1970s Trainee Nurse

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia _ a joyful experience, 4 April 2014
A wonderful read full of character and Sarah has remained true to the times. As she recounts her training experiences. No maudlin eulogies or far fetched patient accounts just an honest entertaining real life account which is a pleasure to read and a sadness to finish.

My Angel Diary 2014 (Diaries)
My Angel Diary 2014 (Diaries)
by Jenny Smedley

5.0 out of 5 stars Annual purchase!, 24 Aug. 2013
received the first Angel Diary as a free gift in a magazine the year before last, and it quickly became the 'must have'. This is a lovely combination of an easy reading inspirational book and useful daily diary. A year long delight! (ps the only danger will be that I will read the WHOLE thing way before 2014!

The Beaten Path
The Beaten Path

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Beaten Path (Kindle Edition)
Yet another story that had me screaming "just leave him!" .of course she does in the end but not soon enough. This is a good example of the "victim mentality" and might just help others in similar situations to recognise a little of their own circumstance within the text but comfortable bedtime reading it is not.

Pack Up Your Troubles
Pack Up Your Troubles

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read full of feel good factor., 19 July 2013
Plenty of strands to the story each with its own ending, all pulled together to make this a really read.

A Year In Holloway (Miriam's Life Book 2)
A Year In Holloway (Miriam's Life Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned but very readable, 28 Mar. 2013
Enjoyable read and interesting history of Holloway. Hard to believe the limited subject matter could fill a book without resorting to sensational ism but this is exactly what happened.looking forward to reading next book!

The Camel Trail
The Camel Trail

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased to be proved wrong!, 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Camel Trail (Kindle Edition)
I have to be honest, I never intended to read this book! Brand new Tweep, I clicked to follow the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign (having grandson with the condition) and they retweeted a plug for this book by the author Peter J Merrigan, stating that some of the proceeds from the sale would benefit the MD Campaign. As it was in Kindle format (my favourite toy), and involved Cornwall (my favourite place) I bought it to support the charity. Personally I don't read much fiction, as I'm definitely a real life kind of girl, but puzzling on what should be my first 'twitter' (what a saddo) I tweeted the author to tell him I'd bought the book. Surprisingly he tweeted back, and so I felt compelled to read the story. How glad I am that I did! This story was so gripping I was reading far into the night, and finished the whole thing in two sittings. Despite the story recounting the kidnap of two young boys, despite the improbable way they were found, despite it being fictional, this is SO believable. The emotions of the main characters are so chillingly accurate I felt like an actress acting each and every role- exhausting! I can honestly say I have not enjoyed a work of fiction so much in years - even enjoying the ultimately sad and somewhat unexpected climax.
Supporting a charity has never been so enjoyable - and I am so pleased to say I'm glad I was wrong about fiction - I might even read some more!