Profile for Four-eyed Bookworm > Reviews

Being Shakespeare [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Callow
Price: 17.09

5.0 out of 5 stars What a one-man-show!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Being Shakespeare [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent piece - Simon Callow really is incredible! I liked him in other movies, but this is something different. The man Shakespeare comes to life.

The Mrs Bradley Mysteries [DVD] [1998] [2000]
The Mrs Bradley Mysteries [DVD] [1998] [2000]
Dvd ~ Peter Davison
Price: 5.30

5.0 out of 5 stars I do so like Diana Riggs, 2 May 2014
Wonderful costumes, nice story lines, good actors - it all makes for a couple of very pleasant hours of watching.

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
by Twyla Tharp
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A new look on things, 2 May 2014
I found this book very interesting, as it gave me a new look on things. The general outlook of Ms Tharp is very different from mine, but actually her view of creativity and the techniques she describes made me rethink a couple of my presumptions. I will probably not go over to her camp 100%, but she makes many compelling points which will stay with me - comparing her results and mine really made me wonder ....

The Last of the Blonde Bombshells [DVD]
The Last of the Blonde Bombshells [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel-good story and great actors, 15 Oct 2013
It may not be one of those movies which provoke deep thinking or "change your life", but it has a good flow, is believable and the acting is very good (I just love "the Dame").

The Gathering Storm [DVD] [2002]
The Gathering Storm [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Albert Finney
Price: 3.60

4.0 out of 5 stars So believable, 17 Jun 2013
Finney and Redgrave are very believable as this couple which made history. Never underestimate the women who sustain men in power!

Seven Ages of Britain [DVD]
Seven Ages of Britain [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Dimbleby
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 13.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seven Ages of Britain [DVD] (DVD)
I love Dimbleby's style - I am not competent to judge completeness or accuracy of the historical facts, but this (as the other two series) is information rendered beautifully.

Stella - Series 2 [DVD]
Stella - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones
Price: 9.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to see series 3!, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Stella - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
There was one little thing which was maybe a tad too much, but don't want to spoil the gag, so won't talk about it. But I really do love this show and I do feel very "Stella" ... ;-)

A Rather English Marriage [DVD] [1998]
A Rather English Marriage [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Albert Finney
Offered by media-4-u
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - so very British :-), 9 Nov 2012
A small movie with a great cast, very believable and touching. It makes you think that friendship really can take on shapes you didn't immagine before. Suitable for those who need to "calm down".

Stella [DVD]
Stella [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones
Offered by MediaMerchants
Price: 5.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Stella [DVD] (DVD)
I only have one episode left - and dread the end! Is there another series coming? I am not English and do not live (and never have lived) in the UK, so I allow myself to think that this is real life - at least in Wales :-). But apart from that, I really feel with the characters, which are at times hilarious (grandpa speaking and everyone - apart from us poor onlookers - answering as if they understood - apparently they do!?) and always believable. I've never seen anything the actress playing Stella did, but am now contemplating getting the other series she starred in (The Street). If anyone out there knows if and when a sequel to Stella is coming ... pass the information on!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 1:15 PM GMT

Cranford Collection Box Set [DVD]
Cranford Collection Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 9 Mar 2012
I happened by chance on a Gaskell novel in my local library .... I wanted to get "into" it but couldn't really - a little bit too slow even for my taste. But somehow ... it left something, and when I surfed through Amazon the next time, I searched for the title and found the dvd. And it got me hooked, I went through the whole mini-series in next to no time. The actors are fantastic; the characters so believable! Setting and scenery - if you need to get away from "your time" for a bit, this is the thing. And even for a non-native speaker like me, the language is easy to understand (yes, maybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned). Too bad there won't be any sequels, but I'll try the filmizations of other Gaskell novel.