Profile for S. Pells > Reviews

Content by S. Pells

S. Pells (Edinburgh, UK)

Resistance Bands Set | Exercise Bands | Home Gym Fitness Equipment | Workout Bands | Exercise Equipment for Pilates Yoga Core Training

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate, 2 Jan 2014
I bought these on the recommendation of a colleague after the birth of my young son meant I no longer had the space for a free weights bench. Luckily I had not sold my dumbbells on Gumtree before I tried them! The weights claimed for each band bear no resemblance to reality: after thinking they seemed much easier than the claimed weights (10-50 lbs in 10 lbs increments) I tested them with a luggage scale. They are approximately yellow:5 lbs, green:9 lbs, red and blue:7 lbs and black, 11 lbs. Thus, not even in the order stated. Some need to be doubled to be of any use at all, such as the yellow one: you can get it (almost) to the claimed 10 lbs but it is about 5 metres long by then. Not useful to a normal-sized human.

The "guide" that comes with the bands is utter rubbish; it could have been made better if the writer had simply spent 10 minutes plagiarising Wikipedia prior to writing it.

Shorter version: Go elsewhere.

World Vegetarian Classics: Over 220 Authentic International Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
by Celia Brooks Brown
Price: 14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave veg cookbook, 7 Dec 2012
I am really surprised at some of the less complimentary reviews here. One reviewer described the design as clunky and clumsy. I am genuinely at a loss to understand what this reviewer is refering to. There is absolutely nothing clunky about the design. The recipes are clearly set out, typically just one to a page. The book is clearly organised by parts of the world which I like as it helps to understand the difference between cuisines in different parts of the world. If you wish to choose a meal by a particular ingredient you fancy the index can be used.

A couple of reviewers stated that the ingredients are hard to find. For the majority of the recipes this is not true. For the a small number of recipes there are more unusual ingredients but these should be available in most cities with multi cultural populations. The author also gives alternatives, where possible, if you cannot find the ingredients. And after all, some of us do live in multi-cultural cities and it is nice to have some recipes showing how to use some of the more unusual ingredients we are lucky enough to have access to!

I love this cookbook! I love the recipes, many of which are quick and easy to cook. I love the little details the author gives at the start of many recipes. This is the cookbook that I use most by far! The recipes are delicious and reliable. It's great!