Profile for HN > Reviews

Content by HN

HN

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Some modes just not working, poor manual, 21 Dec 2013
This is fine if you want a simple wifi router to extend an old router with no wifi for example or use it as a wifi receiver for something that has only an ethernet port or can't support a USB wifi dongle. However. Bridge mode doesn't work (I suppose it could be a compatibility issue with the wifi network to be bridged to.. ironically also through a device from the same manufacturer). There seem to be two ways to make a bridge one being through AP mode. Nothing about that in the manual and has the same screens as in bridge mode. And the manual... Like all tp-link manuals apparently put together by the bleeding obvious department of the business, consisting of the exact same worthless, detail-lacking, ambiguous and incomplete hints in the web gui only constructed as slightly longer sentences. No real tutorial for anything other than a bog standard feature that's set by default anyway!

Not worth it if you're planing to do something more advanced.

The only good thing I can think of straight away is its rather well built.
I know because I threw it at the wall with all my strength, that only popped the lid a bit which I could press back in. It was working fine after that. Except of course all the features I needed but they didn't work anyway.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2014 10:02 PM GMT

Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass)

3.0 out of 5 stars MX, 10 Sep 2012
Like some others have said already, it's not particularly comfortable the hump is too far back and the thumb inset begins way too early. I suppose one has to hold his wrist to the right of it with the palm and pinkie just touching the surface to compromise. (easier to relax hand having your weight on the table as well I suppose could be seen as an advantage.)
Shape-wise Logitech MX 1100 is vastly superior to this and much heavier as well (if you see this as a bonus as I do, makes it feel sturdy imo)

The middle click is not very satisfying as well, not much 'click'.
The mouse has a general feeling of cheapness about it, not particularly heavy as well (if you're into that) it has only one AA battery.
But has a charger and different USB cables (and one extention-like cable I suppose useful if you have a desktop tower under the desk) all in a neat case. Has software for Macs as well which actually worked for 10.7. Not that you can do any decent gaming on a Mac but still you get to customise your buttons.

To simulate reduction of mouse speed acceleration which (seems to be a) hardcoded coefficient of the speed on the iCrap OS you can lower the tracking speed in the regular mouse settings in System Preferences and increase speed in Logitec's control panel.

SYMA 3 Channel Micro Chinook Radio Control Helicopter
SYMA 3 Channel Micro Chinook Radio Control Helicopter
Offered by MakingDay

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many parts, 13 Aug 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
Have it now for more than a week already. Few problems though.

Flies great, easy to trim, loads of lift, very responsive throttle. Be careful when near the walls, it gets caught in it's own draft very quickly and you lose control, same thing if there's a draft in the room, for smaller rooms even it's own wind can make it wobble, very powerful!
But has too many things that can break, and they did. After the second day all 4 plastic wheels fell off, glued them back in, they broke off at an average rate 1 per flight. Took it apart to glue them properly, its very sturdy inside, has a "roll cage" of light metal bars (The plastic shell chipped in a couple of places but no internal damage whatsoever). Fixing the wheels worked for another day or two but they broke off again.
The blades are surprisingly tough, they look like a jagged saw by now with no impact on handling.
Note that this thing "has two engines" in reality - 4 motors for each rotor blade, and yesterday the front motor powering the lower rotor stopped working with no visual cues as to what's wrong with it. So now it fires on "3 cylinders" only and is unusable as the nose can't take off.

I think a reasonable decision to make is to get a chopper that has plenty of spares readily available such as the s107.. (as a first chopper choice - this was my first RC chopper - as you already have the impression, I wasn't a good pilot in the beginning)

Sony MDRXB500 Extra Bass Headphones with Large 40mm Driver Unit (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Bass? No, Appropriate Levels of Bass., 19 July 2011
Separation between different frequencies is excellent, I was really expecting poor performance reading the reviews here. But no. In fact they capture highs I hadn't heard before! Bass-lines are excellently recreated and then some. I like to believe I'm saying this with a bit of authority - I listen to electronic music (which seems to be the target market for these) and I only compare by listening tracks I've heard (many times) on gigs; I get the same physical vibrations in my head as I do on a live gig! I'm almost literally rediscovering my music library.

Strong bass? In my view this is the only home gear that has *appropriate* levels of bass and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Hearing only bass? What quality music files are we talking about? With these cans I hear the cracking static of vinyl playback on radio streams (mind you ~128kbps only) - not to mention the range I get on lossless WAVE. Decent hardware is just half the job.

Short cable though - very short for something not really for portable players.

Very comfortable; they do wrap my ears around with the large cushions - they take a second to take "shape" on the head only then the sound quality is optimal, the space enclosed by the cushions around the ears seems quite important for acoustics.

Note, in my view, not really appropriate for say, new metal, the bass will be a bit obtrusive and unnecessarily too much for such music though again the range is good.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2011 5:54 PM BST

Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black
Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not effective, 23 May 2011
I have used this for a year now, as some other buyers report it did became noisy for no apparent reason (few months ago) its especially noisy when it's been off for a couple of hours.
I have no reasonable explanation for this.. I've opened it, it wasn't cluttered with dust or anything.

Anyway I have found NO consistent decline in temperatures while using it, and I constantly monitor CPU and HD/mb temps, while gaming or idling (web browsing and such). The only cooling happens because the laptop is raised.
Best 'cooling' was achieved after actually cleaning the lint off the cooling radiator in the laptop chassis.

And though seemingly comfortable couple of months ago I went to the doctors to be 'diagnosed' with "RSI", that constant pain in your wrists etc., I didn't even have to tell the doctor I was using a laptop let alone a stand, he told me to stop using it, I got better in just a few days.

(Disclaimer: I could be considered a "power user")

15W BC Blacklight Bulb
15W BC Blacklight Bulb
Offered by DELIVERED AFTER CHRISTMAS

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a bit steep, 22 May 2011
The one I got is different from the image, it has 4 tubes and it is longer.
(also of course it's a BC, read the title)
Dispersion below the bulb isn't really good if it's hanging vertically from a high ceiling, just like any CFL but it's more noticeable here.

But really powerful, at night, streetlight coming through the window has little effect. Enough to lit your hall or mid/small bedroom.
Note that it gets hotter than regular CFLs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 7:52 PM BST

BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 Sim Free Smartphone
BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 Sim Free Smartphone
Offered by Kudos Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 23 Jan 2011
I got this instead of android phones because I wanted something that can last me a few days on the road
and it does, If not voicing much you squeeze out 3 days of battery life, not only that but if it goes dead
you can still have alarms and calendar events active for a couple of hours (but no radio comms).
It does a lot of things for you, for events in your calendar you can set your status, which is actually, real status not a few words on the display, you can set it to switch of radio so you can't receive any texts/calls (tune it to your flight takeoff and landing times and you have automatic airplane mode), custom notifications, reliable alarm (If you haven't re-set it (switch off+reinsert battery) the alarm will switch on the device) etc, etc.

I've read a number of negative reviews of the BB Maps application, of people switching to Google Maps,
Well Google maps doesn't show you the speed you're moving with (if you're into that that is), you can't use Wifi to download the map, it's rather slow.
On the other hand the built in maps (OK, unfortunate if they don't include your country I agree) are very very fast (it's a slow device, and some excellent design decisions have been taken to address this) very light on network usage, supports wifi (and always SHOWS what connectivity is using, as any other BB application), the continent zoom-level is available offline so you can use them on the aircraft and see over which cities you glide over with 800 KM/h.
What I'm saying is, there is a reason for the limited features in some applications.

The browser is decent with any mobile device enabled website, if the website doesn't have a mobile version you can at least set the browser to "Column view" and won't have to zoom and pan to read a each sentence.

Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard Lock & Flex Cable
Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 Standard Lock & Flex Cable
Offered by WoollyHatShop

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 4 Dec 2010
I got the lock for 4 months now, in rain and recently snow, very reliable. You can spin the plastic cover over the key hole to keep it dry, really clever. The flex cable is long enough without you having to keep it in your back pack, it can be twisted and fitted inside the U bolt (as it's packaged). My bike has a small frame but the lock fits within the frame if you don't have a water bottle.

Raleigh Cable Lock, 80cmx12mm
Raleigh Cable Lock, 80cmx12mm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not safe, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Raleigh Cable Lock (Sports)
I was using this lock for a year, It's well made and all (a drop of fine machine oil in the lock will help if it's not working smooth).
But then my (really cheap at that) bike was stolen, the lock cut, from a public place, it was clearly cut with a single crunch, obviously the cutters were small enough to be portable. The cable inside is not really thick. (the lock was left on the 'scene'..)