Profile for GermanGeoff > Reviews

Asus Google Nexus 7 3G 32GB 1B1008A nVidia 32 GB 1024 MB Android 7 -inch LCD
Asus Google Nexus 7 3G 32GB 1B1008A nVidia 32 GB 1024 MB Android 7 -inch LCD
Offered by Happy deals
Price: 139.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever Tablet with Entry Level User, Wi-Fi Niggle and Bizarre Camera Setup, 21 Sep 2013
After much consideration I plumped for a tablet as I am writing a book and after quite a bit of research it would appear this is the Bees Knees. I want to set up a website and be able to respond to people real time, if I ever get the book and website done - that's the theory. I have found that I have now entered a not necessarily 'appy' and geek-speak world which I find hard going. That's not the machine's fault - but it is hard to disassociate the two.

I think it does all it is supposed to, the problem is it is far to clever for my Windows Vista brain.

Major niggle, I got the 3G version as I am away from home quite a bit but found I could not fire it up at home just with a wi-fi (which it found no problem). So I could not use it until I sold my soul to a 3G operator as well, not sure why that exists, presumably to extract more money off me. Most of the time I only need wi-fi and would like to control which I need myself.

Middle-sized niggle, Another irritation is the front-facing camera only, what on earth is the point of that? I have dozens of pictures of me staring at the machine while I try and figure out what the stupid buttons are for. Am not bothered about the camera but if you are going to put one in make it work so that you can see the button to press when it is pointing at the item to snap.

It does internetty / appy things well. Have not yet (3-4 weeks in) got to the stage where I think it is indispensible to my life but am working on it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 3:32 PM BST

Stuff Matters: The Strange Stories of the Marvellous Materials that Shape Our Man-made World
by Mark Miodownik

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever Stuff, 21 Sep 2013
This book is a masterclass in taking a potentially extremely dry subject (molecular structure) and wrapping it in personal experience (blocked toilets, car crash) to present a narrative and make it interesting. It very nearly succeeds and would be worth 4.5 if I could give that but not quite a 5 as it does lapse at odd moments into the dry science which started to become repetitive.
I think a slight drawback - which is more personal than anything to do with the author - is that in one chapter the tale draws you into the hypnosis that resulted in a car crash. As I spend far too much of my life commuting on the M6 and recently saw such an accident it worked a bit like salt in the wound and spoilt my enjoyment.

A very good book and well written, cleverly done

Manchester United: The Untold Story
Manchester United: The Untold Story
by Ned Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romp, 21 Sep 2013
Before buying this I read one positive and one negative review and found something to support both viewpoints. Certainly the 'me me me' parlance of the first chapter was off-putting but reminiscent of the military mentality that I remember from my own army time (nothing quite so exotic as the SAS though).

Otherwise I think this a well told book and interesting story, as a none-footballer to be living the dream as United clocked up trophy after trophy and to be paid to be part of the scene - not many of us could match that. There were many insights but the one that stayed with me was his accounts of the conduct of the Chairman (Martin Edwards and various Directors. Am pretty sure the publishers would have checked this out otherwise it could have been very expensive. It explained how fans might engage with the trials and tribulations of the players but for a football club manager, the skills of 'managing upwards' are every bit as much part of the job.

Enjoyed this, well worth reading if you are besotted with all things United past and present as I am.

A Mountain of Crumbs: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain
A Mountain of Crumbs: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain
by Elena Gorokhova
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Germangeoff, 30 Sep 2012
For the most part I enjoyed this. Although it becomes evident she escapes from Russia from the photos, the book concentrates purely on events in Russia. The early stuff about grandparents and parents is very strong, on life for a typical WW2 generation. Her own early years are very well explained and gives a good flavour of the realities. It spoilt for me because I wanted to get to the bit about escaping to the west and events there. So I found the later years, coming of age stuff - still well told - to be heavy going in parts before it dawned on me leaving Russia was not going to as carefully covered. However, the book does its job well explaining what life was like for ordinary citizens and the `survival' strategy people adopt where everything is a lie, everyone knows its a lie but everyone pretends different because it was too dangerous not to. Hope there is Volume 2 about the early experiences in the West, if written up as well as this it would be very strong.

A Prison Diary
A Prison Diary
by FF8282

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet oats in this porridge, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Prison Diary (Hardcover)
A Prison Diary FF8282, 2002, Jeffrey Archer. Picked up during a visit to a charity shop, a chance to satisfy a long-held curiosity about a professional authors' observations of prison. Have to admit he makes a good job of it. The account is balanced, lucid and free of the prejudices I had half expected. I have not read any of his fiction but would entertain it now, I liked the clear, accessible style. This is only the first half of the experience, the canny so-and-so has written a second volume, born capitalist.

Serious: The Autobiography
Serious: The Autobiography
by John McEnroe
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Deuce, 29 Nov 2010
Serious, The Autobiography of John McEnroe, 2002, John McEnroe with James Kaplan. In some ways this book brings in the intensity and integrity you would expect but it also contained a large amount of detail about matches and competitions that you have to be a bit of a tennis nerd to enjoy. A lot of personal and quite painful stuff is aired, for example the start of his relationship with Tatum O'Neill and its decline is shared with dignity and a fair bit of agonising goes on about who he is also took some ploughing through. Various joys and tiffs with other famous tennis players, Connors, Becker, Borg, Lendl etc It becomes a bit name dropping at times, Clinton / Mandela and so on. OK kind of book but not one that I will look to re-visit.

Football - Bloody Hell!: The Biography of Alex Ferguson
Football - Bloody Hell!: The Biography of Alex Ferguson
by Patrick Barclay
Price: 17.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't win a Trophy, 19 Nov 2010
Football - Bloody hell! The Biography of Alex Ferguson, 2010, Patrick Barclay. A curiously lightweight and slightly flat account of the authors experiences with Fergie and other familiar charachters (former players and colleagues), even of limited use as a work of reference. While it follows the timeline from his playing experiences at Rangers to last season (2009-10) it skips about trying to capture the dominant forces that have shaped the man and concludes it was all family and loyalty. Very little was new (though I have a read a lot about the man recently so I am perhaps not the best judge). Some interesting stuff around attitudes to corporate buy outs and ties to New Labour. No doubt a new version will emerge once he retires.