Profile for MarkD > Reviews

Typhoon 6.5mm Surfmaster zipped neoprene boots UK 10-11
Offered by Big Orange Watersports Ltd
Price: 23.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and comfortable, 28 Jun 2014
I chose these because they were cheap. I am more than happy with them - Warm, comfortable and seem robust and rugged. Impressed me enough so that I bought a pair for my daughter.

The Time Hunters and the Sword of Ages
The Time Hunters and the Sword of Ages
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read, 21 April 2014
Another great book in The Time Hunters series. It's well written and pacey, albeit slightly darker than the previous books. The book stands in its own right, but also moves forward the "arc" of the overall plot of the series, possibly more then the previous books, setting us up nicely for the next instalment.....Hope its not too long in coming.

Leave it to Psmith
Leave it to Psmith
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wodehouse at his best, 8 Feb 2014
All of Wodehouse's books are great, but in my opinion he had a golden age of about 20 years when he produced his best work. This book was written during that golden age.

It features many f the Blandings castle regulars, but with less focus on Lord Emsworth and "The Empress" than in most Blandings stories.

If you like Wodehouse then you will love this.

The Second Wave. My Surfing Life, The Saltburn Way.
The Second Wave. My Surfing Life, The Saltburn Way.
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic, but a great read, 8 Jun 2013
As the author states the book is "Down to earth". It's not going to win any literary prizes. But and it's a BIG but, it is a great read. I woke up this morning, a Saturday in June, thinking about work and since my family were all asleep went out into the garden with a mug of tea.....This is the first book in years that I have finished in the same day that I started. Perhaps some of the attraction for me is that I surfed in the late 80s (without becoming very good), but also it;'s simply good fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2013 6:26 PM BST

Sailing: Your First Weekend In A Dinghy
Sailing: Your First Weekend In A Dinghy

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be great - Kindle compatibility problem, 14 Oct 2012
This book started well, however, on my kindle it is not formatted properly and thus unreadable with pages that seemed to be missing and even two pages that appeared on top of each other!

I returned it to Amazon, but would buy it again if I found out that it had been re-formatted
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 9:24 AM BST

Beer in the Balkans
Beer in the Balkans
Price: 1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, 8 July 2012
This is a funny and engaging read, it does have a fair amount of swearing in it - but what would you expect in a book about a young man travelling around the Balkans getting drunk?

The author's style is self depreciating and humorous but at the same time seems genuinely insightful.

The kindle version that I read was slightly let down by random variations in text size, but other than that a great read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2013 2:49 PM BST

Bernard and the Bibble
Bernard and the Bibble
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad title, 22 May 2012
Great book, but a bad title. I have read Carl's timehunter stories and enjoyed them, even though they are intended for children. However bibble looks a lot like bible. So, when I read the title I misread it as "Bernard and the bible" and since I am not religious I did not want to read it. However I eventually became intrigued, since the two timehunters books are great....So I got this book and read it one rainy Sunday morning - Obviously meant for kids but a great comfort read for adults as well. Well worth 77p!

The Time Hunters
The Time Hunters
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Time Hunters (Kindle Edition)
A great book, especially at the kindle price. Clearly written for teens, but so what. I've read it in the same spirit as I read Harry Potter - Just relaxed and enjoyed the easy read. Come Christmas when I officially receive my Kindle in front of the kids I will encourage my 13 year old to read it. As I'm sure that she will enjoy the time travel concept and the positive spirit of adventure