Profile for robhem > Reviews

Unsurpassed: The Story of Tommy Godwin, the World's Greatest Distance Cyclist
by Godfrey Barlow
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 15 Feb 2014
An incredible story of human endurance and perseverance through two harsh winters and the onset of war. Tommy's record achievements remain unsurpassed to this day. Grit and determination made him a true cycling legend. An informative and gripping read. I read it cover to cover, as I couldn't put it down once I began.

The Road to Escondido
The Road to Escondido
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Laid Back, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Road to Escondido (Audio CD)
A very chilled collection of tunes from two guitar greats. I felt that it was more in the style of JJC, but with plenty of instances of EC thrown in. If you're a fan of either artist, then you'll like this album. A good album to play if you want to wind down after a busy day.

The Designer's Guide to the  Cortex-M Processor Family: A Tutorial Approach
The Designer's Guide to the Cortex-M Processor Family: A Tutorial Approach

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introductory Text, 30 Nov 2013
I bought the ebook version and began working through the examples, which I found to be good. However, I was struggling to set aside time to cover the material and so I booked myself onto the two-day training course run by Trevor (the author) at Hitex UK. The training covers all the material in the book with day two devoted to the RTX RTOS and day one to the rest of the material. I found this a great help and am now confidently embarking on my first commercial ARM based project. The training is very reasonably priced and you come away with a printed paperback copy of the book, plus a memory stick with all the examples and the presentation material and a time-limited full evaluation copy of Meil MDK-ARM IDE. Back to the book: the text guides you through the Cortex-M features by tutorial examples that can be run and debugged in the free Keil MDK-ARM IDE. The material progresses logically and works its way towards using the free RTX RTOS. Much of the material is generic to all Cortex-M MCUs, but there is a chapter devoted to DSP on the Cortex-M4 series. Most of the examples can be run and debugged in the simulator included with the IDE, including those for the RTOS and the DSP. Finally, there's a chapter on using a ULINK debugger to debug on the hardware itself via the CoreSight debug connection. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to get started fast using the Cortex-M microcontrollers.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I'm not a great Sister fan, but there's a few tunes that I particularly remember from my youth; especially those that would be played in the night clubs I used to frequent. This CD set packs them all in and a whole lot more. I confess I haven't listened to it all and have just picked out the dozen or more tracks I like. I like it!

Basket Case
Basket Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Stuff, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Basket Case (MP3 Download)
You don't need me to tell you this is classic Green Day stuff. Well worth playing over and over! I like it!

The Best Of Saxon
The Best Of Saxon

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Saxon (MP3 Download)
I was never a big fan of Saxon, but I remember "Wheels of Steel" well. I bought this as I was going to a gig where Saxon were the support act and so I thought I would give it a listen beforehand. I've quite enjoyed listening to it, but it's not top of my playlist. Some good old rock tunes though and WOS still does it. I never got to see them play as the gig was cancelled. Too bad!

ZigBee Wireless Networks and Transceivers: The Complete Guide for RF/Wireless Engineers

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction, 24 Sep 2013
I read this as a first introduction to ZigBee. The book gives a good overview of all the essential topics and serves well as a stepping stone onto the path of learning about 802.15.4 WPAN, ZigBee and ZigBee PRO networks. I found Chapter 3 most useful as it helped me to get clued up with some of the terminology used in the ZigBee standard. Most of the information given is rudimentary, but references are given for each chapter that will lead to reader to more detailed examinations, documentation, papers, journal articles etc. There's also the authors web site with links to resources. You'll need IEEE membership to access most of the articles though. My copy of the book was the Kindle eBook edition and some of the equations were missing when reading on the Kindle.

Nikon COOLPIX L27 Compact Digital Camera - Red (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars A capable low cost camera., 3 Aug 2013
For a low cost camera it is very capable with all the features you need and more. The optical zoom is good. Battery life seems good using Duracell alkaline AA cells. It's nice to have the HD video recording, but it does eat up memory (you can lower the resolution to save space). Flash is good over a range of up to about 5 metres maximum. Picture quality is acceptable for a camera of this price. The optical quality is not great compared to a higher priced camera, but acceptable. Wide angle pictures show some blurring and distortion especially in the corners. Response time is quite good. A good camera to have with you if you want something light weight and small for taking snaps. Good as a first camera for a youngster.

Rockschool Guitar - Grade 3 (2012-2018)
Rockschool Guitar - Grade 3 (2012-2018)
by Rockschool
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant way to study and learn guitar., 3 Aug 2013
My son and I are enjoying the Rockschool grade books. They're a very well authored set of progressive study material and introduce a wide variety of music styles and technique. They're graded for exams, which my son is working towards. But, they're a useful set of books for anyone learning guitar even if you have no desire to take the exams. The included CDs are really helpful as a guide to learning the rhythm and getting the sound and playing style right. The backing tracks help with the timing and give something to play along to.

Waterproof Hard Camera Case for Canon IXUS 265 HS 155 150 145 132 125,A1400 A3500,S120, Panasonic XS1 XS3 SZ3 SZ8, Sony WX200 WX300 W800,Nikon L27 L29 L30 L31,Kodak C195, Olympus STYLUS VG-180,Samsung ST150F & other Fuji Pentax compact digital cameras (RED)
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 3 Aug 2013
The Coolpix L27 I bought this case for fits perfectly. A low priced case for a low priced camera. The clip on the wrist strap is useless, but it was no problem to tie the strap to the eyelet on the case and that works ok. I'd say it gives adequate protection to the camera.

Page: 1 | 2