Profile for Warren Doyle > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

2.0 out of 5 stars I had a bad feeling..., 5 Jun 2013
I pre-ordered this album without high hopes, as I had heard Hollow and Stone, two songs I thought were not so special. Oddly, I don't find it so difficult to admit that this album is very boring. If I compare it to 'Black Gives Way...' it is not as imaginative, diverse or exciting. The songs (none of which stand out) are overwhelmed by dual vocals. I've enjoyed Alice in Chains since 1995. Their return in 2009 with 'Black Gives Way...' was fantastic. The album sounded inspired with wonderful songs, variation and enthusiasm. I hear no such qualities on 'The Devil...'. It's a shame as it puts much doubt in me that Alice will release anything from now as captivating as 'Dirt' or 'Jar of Flies'. I've given this album a chance... many times. Disappointing.

Rotosound Stainless Steel Heavy Gauge Roundwound Bass Strings (50 70 85 110)
Rotosound Stainless Steel Heavy Gauge Roundwound Bass Strings (50 70 85 110)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent strings., 5 Jun 2013
I've used these heavy strings before and decided to make a 'return' to them. I've used Rotosound strings for most of my 18 years of playing. I play mostly metal and these strings provide a beautiful metallic grind with a great deal of beef. The 50-110 gauge bites back hard as I use standard tuning, which feels much better than standard strings for speedy finger picking. There's so much punch from the low E in headphones that I get a mild headache after a session, it's fantastic! Once you get used to these heavier strings nothing else will do!

Tragic Idol
Tragic Idol

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fantastic., 9 July 2012
This review is from: Tragic Idol (Audio CD)
I've been on the Paradise Lost ride since 1994 and it's been a wonderful, varied journey.

Tragic Idol is most similar to Faith Divides Us... where several comparisons can be made. Both albums contain ten songs, played on 7-stringed guitars and a 5-stringed bass, creating nearly 50 minutes of crushing heavy, classy, dark and melodic songs. This is moreso the case on Tragic Idol.

Many highlights abound; the chorus on first song 'Solitary One' is mesmerising, 'In This We Dwell' contains a minor lead which reminds me of the atmosphere of 1993's Icon, the hopelessness presented by 'Honesty In Death' almost hurts, the deviation (or bridge) in 'To The Darkness, as well as the lead at the beginning reminds you you're listening to a band very sure of themselves, it's pure PL heaven, and the Draconian Times-like chording on the title-song demonstrates the great variation throughout Tragic Idol.

The songwriting is excellent. Gregor Mackintosh has one of the best musical minds in metal. At a time when too many bands are trying to be complex it's refreshing to hear PL (particularly with this album and the last one) producing powerful, dare I say, catchy tunes in such a low key. Some progressive tendencies can be found; the meandering bass section after the first chorus in 'Fear of Impending Hell' and conclusion to 'Theories Another World'. Not overtly so, however.

The vocals by Nick Holmes are are unique. Generally, an aggressive, deep yell is used and some One Second-like clean singing appears on 'Worth Fighting For' and 'Tragic Idol'. His performance is first class.

I also very much like the artwork. It was unexpected, but the front displays very well the title.

Tragic Idol is a triumph. It possesses a purity seldom found in metal music today. It's gothic, doom metal with PL's signature melancholy, presented in a way so listenable as only this band can do.

In Requiem: Special Edition (2 Bonus Tracks)
In Requiem: Special Edition (2 Bonus Tracks)
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise Lost continue to stun....., 4 Aug 2007
Paradise Lost's 11th album 'In Requiem' is absolutely stunning. It blends elements from almost all previous albums with what I consider a refreshing new style of gothic metal.
It's organic, very dark, heavy and even brutal in places.
Opener 'Never for the damned' is a barrage of riffs, furious vocals and wonderful leads which sets the tone for the rest of the album. Second song 'Ash and debris' is my personal favourite. Much a song of contrast; the first half presents a massive groove with much anger and stunning lead fills whilst the second half is an epic wall of sound with pianos and leads. Nick's singing on this song is the best I've ever heard. Other favourites of here are 'Requiem': the albums heaviest song, its bonecrunchingly heavy verse demonstrates the crest of heavy metal today, I say. 'Praise lamented shade' is just incredible. It's four minutes of slow burn, gothic and splendid, with the albums best chorus. 'Beneath black skies' is another highlight. Its intro provolks images of midnight twilight, with deeper singing reminiscent of the 'One Second' style. Any reference to older material is a positive I say.
There are, however, a couple of songs where a new direction is hinted, where no trace of previous offerings can be found. 'Unreachable' and 'Fallen children' are such songs. The latter is particularly impressive and reminds me somewhat of 'Mercy' from 'One Second', although they really don't sound much alike. Perhaps the slow pianos are all they have in common.....
In summary: 'In Requiem' is a sure sign that Paradise Lost will continue with this unparalleled output for some time yet. Many suspected the end of the band after their excellent 10th, self-titled album, whereas others, like myself, saw it as more of a celebration of ten albums.
The first five songs are simply stunning, the albums second half is a mixture of more experimental and classy mid-tempo songs. Closer 'Your own reality' is fantastic with soaring leads and great singing.
Recommended.

Words That Go Unspok
Words That Go Unspok

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning., 30 Mar 2006
This review is from: Words That Go Unspok (Audio CD)
I'd been listening to Akercocke infrequently since I saw them in 2001. I never actually bought any of their albums until this one last year. Having been impressed by 'The Goat of Mendes' and utterly blown away by 'Choronzon'; 'Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone' is just outrageously incredible.
An important factor in my liking of this album is the fact that several parts of it sound very 'London', as is the band's hometown. Of course, I may be the only person who feels this way and it's probably unitentional. I'm referring to some of the melodic sections during 'Verdelet' and 'Shelter from the sand'.
Musicianship is wonderful. I'd call a mix of black, progressive and melodic metal. It's evil atmosphere works in parallel with pulverising riffs, intricate melodic layers, blasting drums and a very distinctive bass sound which is clear, loud and superbly executed by Peter Theobalds.
My favourite songs on here (although I could name about nine....) are 'Intractable', written by Mendonca and displays brilliant mood and melody; 'Shelter from the sand' a mammoth progressive epic with great vocals and chords, 'Eyes of the dawn' with its majestic outro and last of all 'Verdelet'. This song has the most amazing outro melody I've ever heard. It's slow, simple and downright hyptonic, not to mention Satanic.
This album is the best I've heard for many years. It'd be far to early now to call my favourite album of all time, but who knows.........
Stunning.

Great Cold Distance
Great Cold Distance
Offered by positivenoise

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially unsatisfactory., 13 Mar 2006
This review is from: Great Cold Distance (Audio CD)
'The Great Cold Distance' is not what I hoped for. I'll get comparisons out of the way. I think it lacks the atmosphere and imagination of 'Viva Emptiness' and the wonderful uniqueness of 'Tonight's Decision'. I get the impression a lack of thought has gone into the making of this album.
It's not all negative! This album boasts some great songs in my opinion, namely : 'Leaders' which shows the bands heavy and progressive intentions, 'Soil's Song' which is wonderful and obscure, 'My Twin' a catchy song with amazing vocals, 'Consternation' very dark and moody and 'July' which has an amazing bridge section. Apart from these five gems, little else really grabs me. I think 'Rusted' and 'Journey Through Pressure' are good but not amazing. Songs like 'Follower' and 'The Itch' I find quite unimaginative, the main riff on the latter I find almost repulsive, as well as its chorus. 'Deliberation' is very bland in my opinion.
I'm aware it's very early on yet, so hopfully this album will grow on me, although I can't see it now.
So overall it's a mixed review from me, some wonderful songs dispersed by very under-par ones. Album wise, this is the first disappointing Katatonia album for me.
The artwork I find impressive, although not as eye-catching as on previous albums. However, this is not so important.

Believe In Nothing
Believe In Nothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Very underrated album., 10 April 2005
This review is from: Believe In Nothing (Audio CD)
"Believe in Nothing" is a fine album of dark, heavy songs by a great band.
However, I believe this to be the least popular of all PL albums to date, and sometimes I reckon it's purely to do with the band's curious choice of album cover!
Gregor wanted to create a "live-sounding" album here, and it definately shows. Songs like "Mouth" and "Fader" are among PL's most listenable songs, that is, to an audience wider than their fanbase. My favourite song here is "Never Again". It's atmospheric and dark yet is has a warm glow to it. Other great songs here are "Divided", well orchestrated and executed, and closer "World Pretending". This is a very downbeat, slow song with excellent vocals from Nick Holmes.
One flaw here, I would say, is that on occasion it feels as if some of the songs don't belong together. E.g: I feel songs like "Mouth", Look at me now" and "No Reason" are so different from "Never Again" and "Control" to the extent that is seems odd that they'd be on the same album.
This minor detail aside, "Believe in Nothing" is difficult to fault.
Excellent.

Paradise Lost -Jewel Case
Paradise Lost -Jewel Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical., 16 Mar 2005
I'm sitting here listening to Paradise Lost's tenth album, with a glass of red wine, a perfect combination.
It's all I've listened to recently, and I'm extremely impressed. I'd rather not compare this album to the band's previous offerings, however, I'd say it's a mix of Draconian Times and Symbol if Life. These were my two favourite albums by PL, until I heard this wonderful collection of songs.
"Paradise Lost" has an air of celebration about it, which is understandable, it's the band's tenth album and they've been together for a full seventeen years.
The songs on this album are very inspired I feel; that is, self-inspired. Songs like "Grey", "Forever After" and "Accept the Pain" are very sophisticated and dark, even cold, particularly the latter of the three. It'd be very difficult to pick a favourite here, but if I was forced at gunpoint I'd say either "Redshift" with it's beautiful gothic atmosphere and wonderful vocals from Nick Holmes, or "Laws of Cause" with it's transfixing acoustic verses and excellent chorus, I love the vocals here. Opener "Don't Belong" could well be suited to conclude the album, an epic way to commence an album certainly. I've a very soft spot for "All you leave behind". I feel this is the album's answer to Symbol of Life's "Self Obsessed". The song is short, sharp, agressive and relatively obnoxious, which I really like in Paradise Lost, they are truly England's most indulgent band, offering the finest metal, and purely for their own listening pleasure. "Sun Fading" is wonderdul with a regimented, almost Fear Factory-type verse riff with an overlying lead, which hypnotizes. This is typical of Gregor Makintosh, the first gothic metal guitarist. "Close your eyes" is one of my favourite songs on the album, it's metalesque, cold heaviness is very memorable. I tend to think of "Shine" and "Spirit" as one long song in two parts, however I doubt very much the band intended this. The former is more atmospheric, with a wonderful piano line to indroduce, followed by a very despairing song, with excellent bass work. "Spirit" is a little heavier, with a grinding, speedy riff and an excellent chorus. Closer "Over the Madness" presents a new definition for the term "epic". The song is slow, extremely dark and heavy, has one of the most incredible chorus' I've ever heard, and a magestic melodic bridge leading to what I consider to be one of metals most amazing solos. Slow, miserable and beautiful, it's the album's perfect conclusion.
Paradise Lost are noticeably wiser with progressive releases, and certainly unpredictable. I believe "Paradise Lost" to be their finest work to date. Vocals from Nick Holmes are brilliant, ranging from fragile singing to agressive yet sombre yelling. Gregor Makintosh' leads are more abuntant than on recent albums, with possibly the most impressive guitar tone I've ever heard. Aaron's riffs are also the heaviest I've heard from PL in many years and as already mentioned on "Shine" the bass work by Stephen Edmondson is advanced and ominous.
My favourite songs on here are "Laws of Cause", "Reshift", "Close your Eyes" and "Forever After", I feel they are very sophisticated and dark. Sheer class I must say.
I recommend this album to anyone with musical appreciation, but not to the clinically depressed!

Ashes [Digipak]
Ashes [Digipak]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 3 Feb 2005
This review is from: Ashes [Digipak] (Audio CD)
I feel this new Tristania album is the only one to match the standard of "Widow's Weeds".
"Libre", the album's opener is amazing. Vibeke sounds quite enchanting here, with great guitar riffs and keys. "Equilibrium" has a great rythmn, one can really feel this song. "The Wretched" reminds me a little of My Dying Bride, as do several parts of this album, which can only be positive.
Without going into too much detail, I feel only to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with Ashes, it's all I listen to currently!

Widow's Weeds
Widow's Weeds

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, imaginative., 24 Jan 2005
This review is from: Widow's Weeds (Audio CD)
This is my favourite of all Tristania albums so far, I've not heard Ashes yet.
It's lengthy, intricate, gothic-tinged songs are wonderfully atmospheric, with nice vocals from Vibeke Stenne and Mortem Veland, with an aggressive, raw edge.
"Pale Enchantress" and "Angellore" stand out for me, excellent songs that appeal strongly to the heart.
"Widow's Weeds" is superb, my favourite album by one of Norway's finest.

Page: 1 | 2