Profile for Dr. M. Henley > Reviews

Content by Dr. M. Henley

Dr. M. Henley (Derbyshire UK)

Panasonic ES-LV65 5-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men, Stainless
Panasonic ES-LV65 5-Blade Electric Shaver Wet/Dry for Men, Stainless
Offered by The Tech Savvy

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 22 May 2014
I bought this to replace an old panasonic linear motor shaver that is about 12 years old. The new one is a major advance. I haven't got a desperate Dan face in terms of size but I can put together a decent and frightening ginger (and grey) beard and this shaver quietly and painlessly races through it. The shave feels much kinder than the old three blade shaver, leaving my face less tugged. In addition the overall shave is certainly closer. In view of the large size of the head I had some doubts about the ability to get into the corners but they were needless. I decided to get the shaver without the cleaning base as I felt that I could do without yet another bit of junk in the bathroom, the whole thing washes/empties so easily I so far think I've made the correct decision. If I develop tetanus at some point from a sub-optimally cleaned shaver I'll ask my wife to update this review. Hope this helps!

Unleashed: A Life and Death Job
Unleashed: A Life and Death Job

5.0 out of 5 stars unleased, 20 Mar. 2014
amazzzzzzzing is all i can say about this book you have got to read it! i would recomend it to children between the age of 10 and 15

The Faraway Tree Stories: Three Books in One
The Faraway Tree Stories: Three Books in One
by Enid Blyton

3.0 out of 5 stars An American re-write, 10 Oct. 2006
My wife found the book she had in the loft (the first of this series of three) and my 4 year old daughter loved it. She liked the excitement of a story with ups and downs rather than the short attention span nonsense we read small children these days.

I was dissapointed to find however that this book, the combined trilogy has been Americanised. OK it's not quite Idaho but even still the quant 1940's middle class English language is emasculated and the hatchet of political correctness has fallen. The names are different with Bessie becoming Beth and Fannie becoming Frannie (couldn't have an American having to face that the English language differs around the world and it doesn't mean backside everwhere?) A cousin comes to stay called called Rick, might he have been called Dick? The word queer has also miraculously vanished.

Is this a book for sniggering teenagers or 4 year olds for goodness sake. To do this sort of PC editing robs children of the ability to see that words change their meaning and that the word queer wasn't invented as a term for 'people who love people of the same gender' but has been misappropriated.

Do yourself a favour and buy a second hand copy. This deserves 5 stars.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2015 11:28 PM GMT