Profile for Stephen Bagley > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bagley

Stephen Bagley (High Wycombe, England)

Freefall (Tunnels Book 3)
Freefall (Tunnels Book 3)
by Roderick Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to all expectations and MORE!, 18 July 2009
The latest instalment of The Tunnels Series had a lot to live up to, and I'm glad to report that it certainly has exceeded all expectations!

Just like the previous books Gordon and Williams have blown us out of the water! Freefall contains all the excitement, exhilleration , and above all the mystery the readers have come to expect.
Once again we find Will Burrows in perilous circumstances after a long fall down the "Pore." I would struggle to write a full review of the events that happen in Freefall because so much happens! The reader is on a constant quest of discovery, one moment you're running down dark subterranean passages, the next you're exploring old soviet submarines!

This is really one of the books I get a real sense of escapism from, you really feel as if you're there with Will and ever-bumbling Chester, you feel the adrenaline (and believe me, in this book there is a lot of adrenaline!) the books give you a real rush.

Gordon and Williams are very successful at spinning multiple yarns, telling us not only the story of Will and Chester, but of all the other characters, I particularly loved reading about Will's mother's escapades, Freefall certainly has a lot to offer.

Freefall is an excellent continuation of the story, my only tiny, tiny gripe is that the cover has changed slightly to the previous books on the spine so it looks a bit odd on my bookshelf, but hey, who really cares? All in all Freefall is simply incredible, believe me Tunnels fans, you wont be dissappointed!

About a Boy
About a Boy
by Nick Hornby

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you read before you die!, 14 April 2009
This review is from: About a Boy (Paperback)
Wonderful story, that really makes you think, but laugh as well, for the money it is well worth a read so just buy it!

Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe
Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe
by Fannie Flagg

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming, 20 July 2008
This is one of the very few books that left me with a warm fuzzy feeling at its end. I, like most people saw (and loved) the film version first, but i really regret having seen the film first, as the book is quite spectacular in comparison. The book totally immerses you in the wonderful town of whistle-stop, and you find yourself feeling for the protagonist Evelyn Crouch who is such a likable, relatable (is that a word?) character.
BY THE WAY......
i found this quite humourous, but if you watch the film first, when you read the book you can't help but imagining Jessica Tandy (particularly her voice) as old Miss Ninny threadgoode

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars Never listen to your parents......., 20 July 2008
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
I found this book hidden away in my mum's cupboard, someone had recommended it to her, but when i asked she simply said she had only read a bit and found it "creepy". Well i decided that i would give it a go, see what it as like. Now let me tell you; The lovely bones is in no way "creepy". I read it in one sitting, it was that compelling, i just had to read it, it was enlightening almost, refreshing, this book has got me into a whole other genre of books i never thought existed.
If you don't read this book before you die you WILL regret it!