Profile for L. Halbert > Reviews

Content by L. Halbert

L. Halbert "Toon Army Nut" (Durham, England)

Newcastle United's Worst Ever Players
Newcastle United's Worst Ever Players

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Jan 2014
Very well written book, even the players that you may think have been missed get a mention at some point with the reasons for them not being included.
A must for any Newcastle fan who likes their football books.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, 17 July 2012
I have wide feed and struggle to find comfortable shoes, these Meindl shoes are perfect for me. The build quality of the uppers is excellent, the other review mentions the move away from Vibram soles, I haven't had these shoes long enough to see how the alternatives wear but for this cost I would have preferred Vibram soles too.

I have a black pair and have just ordered a brown pair, not the most trendy shoes I will ever wear, but probably the most comfortable!

Oregon Scientific RM303W ColourBerry Projection Clock, White
Oregon Scientific RM303W ColourBerry Projection Clock, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, slightly quirky, 30 Jan 2012
Having changed our size of bed I was left without a bedside table to stand a clock on. I use this clock under the bed, on the floor projecting on to the wall. There is an option to have the light projecting all of the time or not. The alarm could be louder, but this may be down to the position (under my bed!).

The main thing I like about the clock is that the numbers are bright and large dependant upon the distance to the wall or wherever you are projecting to. Because the numbers are projected and not backlit they don't cast a reflection into the room, some digital clocks have an effect you can still see with your eyes shut, I don't think I have explained that too well!

Good value clock.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 5:57 PM BST

Two Rubber Souls
Two Rubber Souls
by Paul Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant nostalgic read, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Two Rubber Souls (Paperback)
FIrst of all I have to confess that I went to school with the author and can therefore relate to the book, it is set in the same period as I attended school, the same music, the same area etc.

The similarities for me immediately immersed me in my childhood, I could remember the school disco, the evenings spent in the local park, for me this was a unique journey back in time. In case my 'inside information' was warping my opinion of the book I asked my wife to read it, she is older than me (from a different decade!) She loved the book just as much as me.

The book is well written, has a sweet storyline and is suitable for anyone from teenagers upwards.

I hope the author writes a follow up book, a brilliant first novel.

Patagonia Men's Nomad Gore-Tex Hiking Boot Peat Brown T80193 11 UK
Patagonia Men's Nomad Gore-Tex Hiking Boot Peat Brown T80193 11 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wide fitting boot, 27 Nov 2010
I tried for years to find a suitable walking boot for my very wide feet. I went to a company in North Yorkshire that custom make boots and my foot was too big for their range (my feet are wide further back than a standard wide foot, hope that makes sense!) Having tried Meindle which are a wide fitting off the shelf boot I thought I would have to stick to trail shoes. Fishers in Keswick do a guaranteed to fit or you can return and these boots were chosen for me. I was a little put off by their appearance, but they have grown on me and have been great. Very comfortable, I do have doubts about them being totally waterproof in extreme conditions and the tongue moves around a little. But, at last I have a boot I can wear (which I thought I would never find). Just bought a spare pair from Amazon in case they are ever discontinued.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2011 11:51 AM GMT

Apple  In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic for iPhone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic for iPhone (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, takes a little time to find best fit and sound, 13 Feb 2009
Being a fan of Apple products generally (I own an iMac, Macbook, iPhone, Apple TV, and numerous iPods) I was pleased to see that they had finally got around to releasing a decent specced set of headphones.

As with all Apple products the packaging is excellent - there is a little container for the spare ear buds (sizes provided as small, med and large), a couple of spare metal cones (forgotten the actual term for these!) and a nice holder for the headphones themselves which is a little fiddly to use on a daily basis.

The headphones themselves are well made and have a mic and volume buttons which dependant upon firmware updates on the various products will work to a greater or lesser extent - I am assuming that Apple will fine tune any future upgrades to their products to make these more functional.

The downside I was not too impressed at first. Tried the medium buds and sound was poor and uncomfortable, small sounded a little better, when I used the large WOW what a difference using the correct size makes. Please take the time to play around with these headphones before jumping to any conclusions about their sound.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2012 9:02 PM GMT

Creative Labs Zen Sleek 20GB MP3 player
Creative Labs Zen Sleek 20GB MP3 player

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than an Ipod, 21 Dec 2005
The player itself has a nice feel about it, solid but not too heavy. Sound quality is awesome
My only quibble is the battery, it doesn't seem to perform as well as described and as far as I know it will be pretty hard to replace when it does start to fail.
Highly recommended.

My Thrawn Glory
My Thrawn Glory

5.0 out of 5 stars James Grant returns with yet another solid sets of songs., 2 Feb 2001
This review is from: My Thrawn Glory (Audio CD)
After the debut solo CD Sawdust In My Veins, James Grant returns with another batch of songs. What can I say about the album ? Once again they are superbly written and performed, the production is crystal clear allowing Grant's vocals and guitar playing to shine. If you were a Love & Money fan and were a little disappointed by the downbeat feel of Sawdust In My Veins then please give this album a try, there aren't any upbeat tracks with thumping basslines, there are however a depth in every track that can't help but make you feel that so much work has gone into this CD. Please give it a try and give James the success that his talent deserves ! Stand out track for me (at the moment) is Jacquelines Shoes - quite simply packed full of that great voice, guitar, an orchestra and a horn section - what more could you ask for from a record ?!

Northern Songs
Northern Songs
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut from singer songwriter !, 12 July 2000
This review is from: Northern Songs (Audio CD)
Finally the debut album from singer/songwriter Lee Griffiths has been released. Having seen Lee perform in 1998 it seems a heck of a long wait for the CD to come along. Each song is well played and produced, Lee has an amazing voice and the songs on the CD provide a good showcase. Sadly I feel that this album will be ignored by the record buying public. Take my advice give this man a try - you won't be disappointed.