Profile for Toby > Reviews

Content by Toby

Toby "tobysj" (Buxton, Derbyshire)

THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA
THE GHOST MOON ORCHESTRA

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 27 Jan 2013
I wasn't sure when I first loaded this up, driving in to work on a crappy day.
Got to the end and stuck it back in the pile.
Fortunately something made me go for another listen, and by the time I'd played the album a couple more times I was absolutely hooked.
So it's maybe a bit of a grower, but once you're grabbed it doesn't let go.
Fantastic, mystical, uplifting, great riffs, brilliant vocals, it's one of those albums that can take you to another place.

Wolf's Law
Wolf's Law

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
I know it, I'm getting old and jaded, and sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new music when I'm often disappointed and go back to the old favourites.
Then just as I'm about to reach back in to the 70's AGAIN, along comes an album like Wolf's law, and it lifts your heart.
Takes a lot to grab me first up, but this really is a cracker.
I'm not in to writing track by track reviews, it's all about whether the whole album works for me, and it does, the whole way through, finishing on a joyful chorus of strings and a soaring voice.
Not sure who to compare these guys to: a bit of Mostly Autumn, some Porcupine Tree.
All I know is I'll be looking forward to whatever they release next, and may well still have Wolf's Law in the CD player when they do.
BUY IT.

Glasvegas
Glasvegas
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Have I got the right CD?, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: Glasvegas (Audio CD)
I read all the site reviews, and awaited eagerly the arrival of the next Oasis.
Surely I can't have been sent the right CD.
Whereas Oasis thundered into town on the back of Rock n Roll Star, Glasvegas limp in with the sound of a bad Joey Ramone impression, some Teenage Fan Club guitars, and a dose of Simple Minds production.
All fine in the right place, but not mixed together.
Anyway, I stuck with it. It was ok, if you can ignore the maudlings of a morose Scot, but then......................
Track 8 Stabbed.
Has there ever been anything like it. Des O'Connors Deck of Cards seems a jolly jaunt in comparison.
I'm sure dozens of music critics will tell me it's a brilliant depiction of life on the mean streets of Glasgie. Give me a break.
Music is meant to entertain, even requiems manage it. Stabbed though is the most self indulgent piece of garbage I've ever heard.
I shall keep the CD, because I can then be a complete hypocrite and claim to have been there at the arrival of the new zeitgeist band.
In reality, Glasvegas will be gathering inches of dust, on a very high up and out of the way shelf.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2008 10:09 AM BST

Slade Live Collection (2CD)
Slade Live Collection (2CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic racket., 24 Sep 2006
Over 35 years of gigging, I have been lucky enough to see some of the worlds greatest bands, topped by the mighty Led Zeppelin; but if there was ever one gig I regretted missing it was this one.

I bought this album on vinyl back in the early seventies, and still play it to this day.

The vinyl version contained only the first seven tacks listed on this CD version, and showed Slade at their rocking best.

It even included a bit of melody, with the track Darling Be Home Soon showcasing the fact that Noddy had one of the all time great voices of rock music.

My real reason for writing this review though is for one track alone, and that is Born To Be Wild.

Imagine lying between two speakers on your bedroom floor, trying to blow your eardrums out before your Dad shouted to turn the volume down.

Following the vocal section of the track it becomes a one off masterpiece in unsophisticated white noise.

If you buy this album please please please do not put it on at volume two for a quiet listen. Wait till the whole street is out, give it the full whack, and celebrate the pre over produced days, when a band could turn up at the town hall, erect a stack of Marshall amps that resembled the empire state building, and make a full on attempt to send you home deaf, but very very happy.

Sunday 8PM
Sunday 8PM
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not play in the car, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Sunday 8PM (Audio CD)
I just love this album. Owned it since it's first release and still play it constantly.
I've had to ban it from the car though, as I can't play "god is a dj" without exceeding every speed limit known to man.
Play "postcards" and you feel you're on the bus with the band.
There's not a weak track on the album. so if you haven't got it, buy it.